PDA

View Full Version : FCR guys, I need some help

IMSROLL450R
03-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Ok so I started recently with a 2007 bottom end and redid the topend with a 426 bore and 12:1. Head is ported with +1 valves and a HC 2. I have a 39mm FCR that I had been running on my 440 until it locked up but before it did I had been having trouble getting it to run correctly. Ive since cleaned the Carb and tried getting it to run with this 426 and its not working. Right now I can go start the bike no choke, take off and it will die after about a minute. Try to start it and it wont unless I choke it but then if I throttle at all it dies out. I let it cool off and come back the next day and it might or might not start?!?!?!?! It seems to be a little lean still at a 175 main and 52 pilot but how can it be? There are NO leaks in the intake anywhere. It seems wierd that the bike will run sometimes and then not others? Anyone dealt with this? Ive swapped CDIs, Coils, Plugs, tried every jet know to man as well as pulled the needle out a click. Nothing will fix it.

Its a really nice bike or I would have pawned the damn thing ive been goin through all this for a month now. Hopefully someone has an idea. Should I scrap the FCR? And if so why would it have ran fine for so long then now it wont part of the time.

CJM
03-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Sounds possibly like a float problem is all I can guess. Either its flooding out or not getting enough fuel for some reasons.

gasguzzler
03-18-2012, 12:10 AM
What groove are you at on the clip? Where is your fuel screw at?

IMSROLL450R
03-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by gasguzzler
What groove are you at on the clip? Where is your fuel screw at?

Middle of the needle and 2 to 5 turns out. Which means it wants to run.

gasguzzler
03-18-2012, 07:23 AM
I've got a somewhat similar combo (416, 12:1 comp., ported head, web 463/9i cam, and sudco 39mm), I've been running it this winter with a 50 pilot, 172 main while running U4.4. I suspect you're close enough on the jetting that it should run better than that. I had a problem when I first installed the carb I had put a R&D Flexjet in and didn't realize it didn't make it through the float bowl and into the actual threaded area. Stupid, I know, but it caused a vacuum leak I was chasing part of the ice race season.

Is the vent on the gas tank working properly? I know the metal shorty vent caps will sometimes fail. Is the feed from the gas tank to the carb kinked or not allowing gravity feed?

Just some other ideas for you.

IMSROLL450R
03-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by gasguzzler
I've got a somewhat similar combo (416, 12:1 comp., ported head, web 463/9i cam, and sudco 39mm), I've been running it this winter with a 50 pilot, 172 main while running U4.4. I suspect you're close enough on the jetting that it should run better than that. I had a problem when I first installed the carb I had put a R&D Flexjet in and didn't realize it didn't make it through the float bowl and into the actual threaded area. Stupid, I know, but it caused a vacuum leak I was chasing part of the ice race season.

Is the vent on the gas tank working properly? I know the metal shorty vent caps will sometimes fail. Is the feed from the gas tank to the carb kinked or not allowing gravity feed?

Just some other ideas for you.

I havent checked the vent yet. All jets and fuel screws are correct. It seems its getting enough fuel because the bowl always immediately fills. Could it be electrical???? The only other thing i havent checked is the stator???? Im sick of this bike

IMSROLL450R
03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Heres a picture of this pile by the way.... Got a lot in it or I'd have scrapped it already.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t219/IMSROLL450R/The%20Rebuild/IMG_1628.jpg

Stickman400
03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
If you EVER want to get rid of that old scrap heap:D just let me know, I'll take a loan out and take her off your hands.

IMSROLL450R
03-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
If you EVER want to get rid of that old scrap heap:D just let me know, I'll take a loan out and take her off your hands.

Its about to that point. Im sick of it.

Sweaney
03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Find a cheap carb off an R and put it on there to see how it runs. I can ship you mine to test?

IMSROLL450R
03-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Sweaney
Find a cheap carb off an R and put it on there to see how it runs. I can ship you mine to test?

I put the stock carb back on and same thing. Wtf..... I swapped the stator last night. We shall see.

01boneless
03-22-2012, 10:59 AM
i just got done with my 450r built motor and couldent get jetting right for anything so i took it to the shop for them to jet they said it its not jetting it shall be a stator ....so your on the right track man espicilly if its the same with the 400ex carb.

IMSROLL450R
03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
It fired up last night and idled right and same thing today. Hoping the stator was the problem. Wont know till I can ride it. Right now im at a 175 50 combo.

IMSROLL450R
03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
i just got done with my 450r built motor and couldent get jetting right for anything so i took it to the shop for them to jet they said it its not jetting it shall be a stator ....so your on the right track man espicilly if its the same with the 400ex carb.

Would your bike run at least some of the time????

01boneless
03-22-2012, 11:57 AM
yea man it'd start first kit but bogg when u snapped the gas and flooded out easy..and like u i tried every needle ,jet,screw combo i could and nuthing worked,so i took it to the shop and they said it sounded jetting related but if i done all that then they said it could be the stator.

IMSROLL450R
03-23-2012, 05:34 AM
yea man it'd start first kit but bogg when u snapped the gas and flooded out easy..and like u i tried every needle ,jet,screw combo i could and nuthing worked,so i took it to the shop and they said it sounded jetting related but if i done all that then they said it could be the stator.

Well thats good to hear. I hope thats it. I know more about this FCR than I Ever wanted to.... Havent been able to ride in a month!

AtvKid4Eva
03-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Well if you put the stock carb back on and it still wont run right, then its nothing to do with the carb. Is the stock carb you put back on rejetted? If it is then id say you have an electrical problem somewhere. Did the stator fix it?

01boneless
03-23-2012, 08:04 AM
i hope so to man for your quad and mine hahah

Sweaney
03-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Did you get that POS running?

IMSROLL450R
03-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Sweaney
Did you get that POS running?

Hell yeah. Runs about as good as your mom when i show her the helicopter....

01boneless
03-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
Hell yeah. Runs about as good as your mom when i show her the helicopter....

so the sator fixed her then?

IMSROLL450R
03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
so the sator fixed her then?

Sure did, she ran like a champ yesterday although I have a valve seal goin bad. :(

01boneless
03-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
Sure did, she ran like a champ yesterday although I have a valve seal goin bad. :(
sweet! and dang luck bout like me hahah