PDA

View Full Version : Dies at past 3/4.....

capecod400ex
03-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Was riding tonight with friends bike ran mint for the first half hour 45mins. then was kinda playing around drag racing on a dirt road was topping out in 4th about to grab 5th when the bike starting missing like it was running out of gas (it would idle but if you gave it gas it would die) so I stopped switched to reserve even tho it was not out of gas started first kick. Now it wont go past 3/4 throttle with out cutting out or if you just stab the throttle it dies.... Now the only thing I've changed today was removing the black blob off the handle bars i just unplugged it under the hood. could this affect anything? It was raining today.

xcracer416
03-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by capecod400ex
Was riding tonight with friends bike ran mint for the first half hour 45mins. then was kinda playing around drag racing on a dirt road was topping out in 4th about to grab 5th when the bike starting missing like it was running out of gas (it would idle but if you gave it gas it would die) so I stopped switched to reserve even tho it was not out of gas started first kick. Now it wont go past 3/4 throttle with out cutting out or if you just stab the throttle it dies.... Now the only thing I've changed today was removing the black blob off the handle bars i just unplugged it under the hood. could this affect anything? It was raining today.

are you talking about the key switch also? if so when the key switch is removed your fan will not come on.

but it does sound like you got trash in your main jet. pull the carb and see if there is anything in the jet.

DnB_racing
03-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by capecod400ex
Was riding tonight with friends bike ran mint for the first half hour 45mins. then was kinda playing around drag racing on a dirt road was topping out in 4th about to grab 5th when the bike starting missing like it was running out of gas (it would idle but if you gave it gas it would die) so I stopped switched to reserve even tho it was not out of gas started first kick. Now it wont go past 3/4 throttle with out cutting out or if you just stab the throttle it dies.... Now the only thing I've changed today was removing the black blob off the handle bars i just unplugged it under the hood. could this affect anything? It was raining today. definatly check your carb.....

but if the disconnected plug got wet there is a slight chance its shorting to ground,
usually when I disconnect plugs i fill them with some type of non conductive sealant ( i have some rubber for high voltage splicing that you can mold like putty)but you can use duct seal if that's all you can get

capecod400ex
03-17-2012, 08:37 AM
OK guys I will check the carb and report back. I did relocated the key so I have some way to shut it off with out stalling it.

capecod400ex
03-17-2012, 11:45 AM
so uh yeah I forgot to mention I hit a branch right before this happened and I think i found the problem......

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/bryrylan/Brewster-20120317-00136.jpg

capecod400ex
03-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Cant believe I didn't notice this last night.. I duck taped the hole just to test it out thing runs perfect again I feel really dumb now..

d3ktrix
03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Were u running with or without an airbox lid when this happened?

Just curious because if u were jetted for no lid, it shouldn't of really caused a problem.

But if you are jetted for no lid, and it still affected ur jetted, I'm going to ditch my air box totally lol.

capecod400ex
03-18-2012, 07:51 PM
was jetted for stock I taped it up runs mint now.