PDA

View Full Version : Ds650 for the trails and xc

TP Raceing
03-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I am windering what I should do to my dads ds650?

I want to set this thing up super nice.

I want to know whatsbest for this thing

Suspension
motor will stay stock except pipe, whatever filter/intake you guys recommend
Wheels
stem
handlebars

Just want to know whats best for the ds's
btw its a 2006 650x
Thanks

03-18-2012, 01:10 AM
i must say it is nice and informative share

DS650 Baha
03-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Change the front sprocket to a 15 tooth, more low end. K and N filter with a pre filter. Dyno jet kit with an HMF exhaust. Change the CDI and Rev box out, on Ebay pro com set which will bring your rev limiter up and advance the timing. Have one with theses mods and one that is stock and its night and day difference.

brian 68
03-27-2012, 08:41 PM
yosh slip on , exhaust. search the net for omr carb mods. unless your going to change to a tm 45. a high comp piston will be the biggest gain per dollar . port your intake if you swap the carb, then consider cams. and as said do the ign first. i run a lonestar stem, but you can get some long grade 8 bolts and some spacers, and raise your bars enough to clear regular bars. (shim the clamps up)

TP Raceing
03-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys!

As far as ignition don't you think the dynatech would be better than pro com?

tayyo789
05-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Vortex is the best ignition for them, but they aren't cheap. JE piston, 10 or 11:1, web cam, port job, and a lectron Carb.
Do not buy a full exhaust system for this bike. Believe it or not, the stock headers flow better than any aftermarket head pipes.

TP Raceing
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
What cam do you guys think I should get?

and also a 11.1 shouldn't require race gas rite?

tayyo789
05-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Not necessarily, although you'd want to at least run 91-93 or so (premium). My opinion on cams is to run a Web, but there are others that have similar lifts and durations

TP Raceing
05-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by tayyo789
Not necessarily, although you'd want to at least run 91-93 or so (premium). My opinion on cams is to run a Web, but there are others that have similar lifts and durations

Yeah we run premium in all our quads except my racer.

What grind number do you recommend for trails and what not?

Also how many teeth are there on the stock back sprocket?

tayyo789
05-17-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure which cam is right for trail riding, I basically only ride dunes these days. I would call whatever cam company you're looking at, most of them are very helpful.
I believe the stock rear sprocket is a 40, and the front is a 16. Which brings up the topic of switching out to a 520 chain, which should save around 6 pounds of rotating weight, if my memory is correct. I run a 15-42 520 setup, and it works great for the dunes I ride at, with a lot if short technical hillclimbs so I'm assuming it would be a fair starting point for most trail riding

brian 68
05-19-2012, 08:59 PM
i trail and back road ride only. and in my opinion, you need to first get a high comp piston, so you have power off idle and run good torque cams. web 570 grind for a stock bore. i use the 590 grind which is the same profile just a little larger which works well on my big bore . short duration high lift is what you want, short duration gives you low and high lift gives you high rpm without hurting bottom. if you are getting new ones ground have them add 8 to 10 degrees more duration on the exhaust side. and she will rip. my bike will climb any hill and comes on like a 2 stroke from 2200 - 7800 pulls to 8200 my rev limit. i can short shift and it pulls hard.
omw 3 cams are great cams also. and ron woods a1 a2 cams

TP Raceing
05-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by brian 68
i trail and back road ride only. and in my opinion, you need to first get a high comp piston, so you have power off idle and run good torque cams. web 570 grind for a stock bore. i use the 590 grind which is the same profile just a little larger which works well on my big bore . short duration high lift is what you want, short duration gives you low and high lift gives you high rpm without hurting bottom. if you are getting new ones ground have them add 8 to 10 degrees more duration on the exhaust side. and she will rip. my bike will climb any hill and comes on like a 2 stroke from 2200 - 7800 pulls to 8200 my rev limit. i can short shift and it pulls hard.
omw 3 cams are great cams also. and ron woods a1 a2 cams
Do you think that even without a port job that there will still be increase with the piston and cam?

brian 68
05-25-2012, 10:57 PM
i think the high comp piston will give you the most bang for the buck. the cams will help widen your torq curve. the size of cams you want will work fine with the stock head.