PDA

View Full Version : streetbike powered quad info

Bradracer18
03-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Thinking of building a streetbike powered flattrack/TT/dune quad. I'd like handling/suspension to be superior and of course not lacking in power at all. Won't bother me if I have to go with aftermarket a-arms and shocks/springs.

What is a good option for this setup? Any ideas of what can be done sucessfully? I'd like to know what are the possible quads that might work and also what to look for in engines and which engines will work....

I don't really want to go with tall atv's like the ds650 (have one) or a raptor, trx700, etc.

We owned a long time ago a quadzilla (ltr500) with a 650cc streetbike engine in it, i believe it was a 4cyl honda...but I didn't build it nor was I old enough to know much about it.

Thanks for the advice!

audioworks04
03-15-2012, 08:41 PM
flat track/tt and a dune bike are very very different setups, not saying it can't be done, just saying. it could be done and you could really start with about anything, as you will be rebuilding most of the frame to accomodate such a large motor. Really you can make a 450 just as rideable. But there is a cool factor to a 4cyl quad. A carberated 600 of some make would probably be a good bet on a motor with a 400ex based frame, but from the sounds of it you need to do alot more research before you get amy farther into this project.

Bradracer18
03-16-2012, 09:36 PM
What do you suggest I research? I've been around quads my entire life...and have a machine shop/engineering background so I feel somewhat confident in that area.

I go to the dunes once a year and I'd like to just mess around out there with this quad basically....and I'd be willing to remove the sway bar and adjust the suspension up so dune riding is more comfortable. And I'd more or less want to drag race it in the dunes, not cruise around.....

Is the 400ex frame large enough to hold this type of an engine......like I said, we had a ltr500 before and it did so with no modifications to the frame tubing.

Just trying to cover some of my bases before jumping into this project. I don't really want to modify the strengthing portion of the frame too badly...but could.

tayyo789
03-19-2012, 03:44 AM
I know you don't want to hear it, but the DS650 is easily the best frame/geometry setup for a 4 cylinder, just because it's big and beefy enough to handle the power and speed. It would also be a great dune chassis because of the massive amount of suspension travel you can get out of it.
But since you're saying you mostly want it for racing, I would suggest sticking to a smaller/mid size engine like a 600 or so since the big ones are simply too much motor to use in a tight track. I would imagine one that isn't carbed might be a huge advantage too, because of the intake location and lack of space in a more sporty chassis.
The ol' 400ex is always a solid frame to go from, but you're gunna have to do some serious frame mods to make it work

beastlywarrior
03-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Do this
http://www.yfm350.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24840

harrisandsons
03-19-2012, 08:58 AM
tayyo 789 is right the ds is a good start for this project.
i know you said you didn't want a to use a ds or raptor but there is a raptor with a r6 on ebay right now. it looks like it's done right. looks well built and very clean save your self the headache and buy it. i think it was 3 or 4k would cost a lot more to build. just my 2 cents

Bradracer18
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
I agree the ds is probably the best bet. I absolutely hate its handling and how high you sit on it (compared to my predator).

I guess I've got more thinking to do...