PDA

View Full Version : Oil level on clutch side quick question

WoodTRD
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm about to change my clutch side case gasket so I can FINALLY get to take the new piston for a spin and break it in. The oil that's in the bike MIGHT have been ran a total of 5 minutes, anyone know if putting that sides wheels up on about 6" blocks will be enough to keep the oil in the motor or am I still going to make a mess?

I'm changing the brand new oil and filter after an hour or two of ride time already, don't really want to waste any more than I have to. I bought 6 qts of GN4 to run the first few changes on my fresh cylinder, and am thinking about swapping to either amsoil or rotella after I go through it, depending on what I think it needs.

03-15-2012, 06:33 PM
6" probably not enough just tip it almost completely on its side and should be good to go.be sure to clean both mating surfaces really well b4 putting it back together.rubbing alcohol or acetone works good,simple green as well but i always acetone after.

CJM
03-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Id just drain it into a clean container. id flip it on its side if anything.

WoodTRD
03-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Just now got a chance to read the replies, I ended up propping that side up on my set of paddles and zip tying the lower oil line to the header, managed to only lose about a pint that way, not too bad. I cleaned the cover spotless with a soft wire wheel and the case mating surface as well as I could with a razor, didn't want to risk getting any gunk in the motor.

Rode it around in the yard (.5 acre) 10 minutes for the initial break in and didn't see any leaks or smoke, so far so good. DEFINITELY has more nuts than before. It was already pretty quick, but even only running it up to third gear and giving it half throttle I could definitely tell a difference. Can't wait to finish the break in tomorrow and maybe start tuning the 450r carb. Too bad 400's don't come from the factory like this.

03-15-2012, 09:33 PM
nice sounds good.after you warm it up dont be afraid to run it pretty hard.warm up,dont lug the engine,dont wind it out all the way,get into the meat of the gears and pour on the power,also be sure to let your engine do the work on deceleration.if youre in a small area and can only get mostly topped out in 2nd then do it in second,forget 3rd half.all are very important while seating the rings but all is well at this point just be sure to do it the next time you ride.