PDA

View Full Version : how strong does alcohol need to be to run a engine/ethanol

SpasticR450
03-15-2012, 02:45 AM
I have an alcohol/ethanol permit to make up to 10,000 gals a year and im a noob at it and have some strong alcohol made. Any idea on what a engine needs as to ethanol to water ratio? Because like most vodka or whiskys they are 40% alcohol 80 proof which is 40% ethanol alcohol and 60% water which does light up on fire. Does the alcohol need to be almost 100% or just able to light up for it to make an engine run? And wear does the water in it go? out the muffler? or could it drip past the rings into the bottom end mixing with the oil?:confused:

trailrider894
03-15-2012, 09:26 AM
The mix ratio is different for everything... pulling tractors require one, a drag car another... it all depends on the application. You can't just use vodka for the alchohol, it has to be ethanol designed for use in racing engines. What are you gonna use it for?

Tommy Warren
03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by SpasticR450
I have an alcohol/ethanol permit to make up to 10,000 gals a year and im a noob at it and have some strong alcohol made. Any idea on what a engine needs as to ethanol to water ratio? Because like most vodka or whiskys they are 40% alcohol 80 proof which is 40% ethanol alcohol and 60% water which does light up on fire. Does the alcohol need to be almost 100% or just able to light up for it to make an engine run? And wear does the water in it go? out the muffler? or could it drip past the rings into the bottom end mixing with the oil?:confused:

so they gave you a permit to make 10,000 gallons knowing you have no idea what your doing? :huh

ben300
03-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
so they gave you a permit to make 10,000 gallons knowing you have no idea what your doing? :huh

my thoughts exactly.....

i feel there is really long story, wiht a bull**** explanation about 1400 hp civics and this and that...and what not in our near future, and this thread will get locked in now time:rolleyes:

blacknblue#2
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM

bahahaha i kinda wondered the same thing? but i dont know how the ethanol business works.

Spastic: Hello Official, i would like to be granted a permit to produce ethanol

Official: Ok sir how much experience do you have manufacturing Ethanol

Spastic: None

Official: Awesome, We permit you to produce a maximum of 10,000 gallons of ethanol a year

Spastic: Thank you, Now i can ask my atvrider friends how to make this stuff

Tommy Warren
03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
bahahaha i kinda wondered the same thing? but i dont know how the ethanol business works.

Spastic: Hello Official, i would like to be granted a permit to produce ethanol

Official: Ok sir how much experience do you have manufacturing Ethanol

Spastic: All kinds, I've raced a dodge stratus, I fly jets, I have the fasted quad in the USA. and to top it off I'm a member of atvriders.com. I can do anything as long as i can ask them how.

Official: Awesome, We permit you to produce a maximum of 10,000 gallons of ethanol a year

Spastic: Thank you, Now i can ask my atvrider friends how to make this stuff

fixed it for you

CJM
03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
lol @ tommy!

SpasticR450
03-16-2012, 06:34 AM

Yeah you a funny guy... NOT! Any one can get an ethanol permit up to 10k gals if you say you will make it for your own engines and not to drink or sell. Methanol made from wood you don't need one. I just need to know what ethanol to water ratio a engine can run on. :ermm: :confused:

Tommy Warren
03-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Yeah you a funny guy... NOT! Any one can get an ethanol permit up to 10k gals if you say you will make it for your own engines and not to drink or sell. Methanol made from wood you don't need one. I just need to know what ethanol to water ratio a engine can run on. :ermm: :confused:

ethenol to water ratio? you mix ethenol with gas

blacknblue#2
03-16-2012, 07:17 AM
15 seconds worth of research

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

blacknblue#2
03-16-2012, 07:19 AM
15 more seconds of research tells me you need to stop while your ahead and give it up

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484925

SpasticR450
03-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Im looking for real info not poop mouths. like you....

buck440
03-16-2012, 07:30 AM
this is just too funny!!

poop mouths AAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

trailrider894
03-16-2012, 07:32 AM
ethenol to water ratio? you mix ethenol with gas

Only time they do that is when they do water injection on High Performance Engines...

SpasticR450
03-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Only time they do that is when they do water injection on High Performance Engines...

I need more info. What do you mean.

fandl450r
03-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Just stop while you're ahead.

Exrider434
03-16-2012, 07:48 AM
15 more seconds of research tells me you need to stop while your ahead and give it up

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484925

Lmao!!!

buck440
03-16-2012, 07:52 AM
I need more info. What do you mean.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

SpasticR450
03-16-2012, 08:05 AM
links dont help me I looked at them all. I just need to know what alocol to water ratio is needed to run a engine.

SpasticR450
03-16-2012, 08:05 AM
links dont help me I looked at them all. I just need to know what alocol to water ratio is needed to run a engine.

Wiz49
03-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Dude go to a race engine forum and ask. You're on an ATV forum where most people are running pump gas on single cylinder motors looking for answers on ethanol.

blacknblue#2
03-16-2012, 08:41 AM
If your talking about water injection then every motor is gonna be different. Dad used to run water/alky injection in his pulling tractors and its just a research game to figure out what mixture you need. I remember him having the water too rich when he first started doing it and it would basically shock the engine when he firt hit the button making it fall on its face but thats all part of the research.

finsteratv
03-16-2012, 09:28 AM
If your talking about water injection then every motor is gonna be different. Dad used to run water/alky injection in his pulling tractors and its just a research game to figure out what mixture you need. I remember him having the water too rich when he first started doing it and it would basically shock the engine when he firt hit the button making it fall on its face but thats all part of the research. But thats okay since civic motors are cheap..haha

LITE
03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I run a drag boat on fuel and my sand car also , We run methanal same fuel for Indy cars . Methanal has a lot lower BTU than gas, to make the engine run right you have almost double fuel ratio and compression up 17/18 to 1. have fun until you get the hang of it you can go thru some engines.

03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by LITE
I run a drag boat on fuel and my sand car also , We run methanal same fuel for Indy cars . Methanal has a lot lower BTU than gas, to make the engine run right you have almost double fuel ratio and compression up 17/18 to 1. have fun until you get the hang of it you can go thru some engines.

well judging by the other thread about how he burnt the piss out of himself playing with this stuff i'd say its time to give it up wtf?????the motors are just collateral damage at this point.i also believe you shouldn't be around any alcohol more potent than say......coors light let alone ethanol,methanol whateveranol.don't think you should be drinking it just sayin if ur near it you'll probly be safe....i guess. i was watching this thread for a few days but i just saw the other one.who the F*** gave you a permit and was it b4 or after the accident.regardless it should be revoked without question!!!!!atleast ur honest when you say you dont know what the F ur doing.not trying to be too much of a dick here,hope you heal quick and well but WTF???unfknblvbl :rolleyes: :ermm:

Tommy Warren
03-16-2012, 03:56 PM
judging by your leg, feet and stomach I'd say you need a lot more water and a lot less alcohol....maybe you should find out how much alcohol it takes to burn that permit

mx Eli
03-16-2012, 08:18 PM
spastic is there any chance you live in elkhorn? i saw a lowered volvo with a messed up front and and spray bombed black rims and i thought it was you

finsteratv
03-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
spastic is there any chance you live in elkhorn? i saw a lowered volvo with a messed up front and and spray bombed black rims and i thought it was you
haha i thought you said volcano because he got burned..And hows that glow in the dark paint going?

SpasticR450
03-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by mx Eli

No mines green and I have white rims that glow in the dark and sounds almost like a dodge viper.

traitor08
03-17-2012, 06:24 AM
^^ I would not own a viper that sounded like 5 raging cylinders. Sorry but try another one. Yours probably sounds like a Chevy Colorado, they had 5 cylinders, or a trailblazer.

mx Eli
03-17-2012, 09:20 AM
No mines green and I have white rims that glow in the dark and sounds almost like a dodge viper.
where you from anyways

TheLane
03-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Attn everyone on here. You are all douches, and half the reason this forum is dying, if you dont have anything constructive to say. Dont post.

Thank you, have a nice day.

440racer66
03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
Attn everyone on here. You are all douches, and half the reason this forum is dying, if you dont have anything constructive to say. Dont post.

hahaha the best post ever.

powerbomb400
03-18-2012, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't think you mix alcohol and water to run in a engine. I do believe you would run straight alcohol.

buck440
03-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
I wouldn't think you mix alcohol and water to run in a engine. I do believe you would run straight alcohol.

alot of people that inject it are running supercharged/turbocharged engines that make a ton of heat. they spray it to keep egt's down, it cools the air down to make it denser which=hp and the alcohol/methanol gives it a boost too.

water/meth injection is only to be used when needed such as cryo spray, nos, propane. it is not a continuous use application.

it is not something you fill your fuel tank up with either. it is put in a couple gallon tank and you spray it when needed.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
03-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by buck440

it is not something you fill your fuel tank up with either. it is put in a couple gallon tank and you spray it when needed.

Yes and no. Mine is on a 2 stage system and sprays almost all the time. It sprays the small nozzles at low boost then opens up the bigger nozzles at 25 psi. I have a 5 gallon tank and generally have to fill it up every 2 tanks of fuel if I leave it on the whole time.

buck440
03-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
Yes and no. Mine is on a 2 stage system and sprays almost all the time. It sprays the small nozzles at low boost then opens up the bigger nozzles at 25 psi. I have a 5 gallon tank and generally have to fill it up every 2 tanks of fuel if I leave it on the whole time.

yah i can see using it when the boost goes up but i meant you don't spray from the time you start the vehicle to the time you shut it off. other than diesels and jet engines i don't think there is a need for it on a daily driver gasser.

i don't think this is what he was talking about anyway...honestly i don't think he knows what he is talking about and now it's a cluster**** of this that info lol.

powerbomb400
03-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Well for everyday driving it seems useless. I hate that he got burnt and it seems like alot of pain and suffering for a small gain. To get a permit to produce 10,000 gallons believe I'd stick to the drinkable kind and produce 5 gallons a year no permit required.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
03-18-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't see the point in them on DD gassers either. I put one on my Cummins to help EGTs while towing. I'm pretty sure Spastic has no idea what he's talking about anyway. He's gonna make his totally awesome Volvo run on alcohol and drive it daily!....

trailrider894
03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by TheLane

Thank you, I PM'ed him to help him out, because everyone was just being idiots... Spastic has earned some of this, but everybody else is just making themselves as bad as he is... :macho

Ruby Soho
03-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Thank you, I PM'ed him to help him out, because everyone was just being idiots... Spastic has earned some of this, but everybody else is just making themselves as bad as he is... :macho

you werent around when he was bad i dont think.

300ex_#387
03-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
you werent around when he was bad i dont think.

I was going to say the same thing.

CJM
03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
I was going to say the same thing.

x3. Slow aka spastic well lets just say I dislike him. Sorry man but you did it to yourself more than a few times over the years here.

300ex_#387
03-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by CJM
x3. Slow aka spastic well lets just say I dislike him. Sorry man but you did it to yourself more than a few times over the years here.

I was thinking more along the lines of aka blue450yo or some sort of name like that. Hes been around a long time. Longer than Ive been on this site im sure.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Yea see I thought there was some history because usuaally most people here are cordial but man if CJM doesn't like you..he likes everyone.

CJM
03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
I was thinking more along the lines of aka blue450yo or some sort of name like that. Hes been around a long time. Longer than Ive been on this site im sure.

I forgot all about that one.

@Tom: Dont get me wrong he aint a bad guy, hes just incredibly stupid.

buck440
03-20-2012, 07:35 AM
anybody ever heard of ShervinRRR?

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2010/05/27/motorcycle-news/zx-10r-owner-modifies-his-bike-making-his-own-exhaust-and-cutting-holes-in-the-frame/

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88934

i see some simularities, maby, no.....ShervinRRR?