PDA

View Full Version : im conflicted!

400exjoker
03-14-2012, 10:24 PM
ok so i wanna get a pipe... but im so conflicted on what to get.. ive looked at:

DG

HMF

motoworks

and lexx

now what i want is your guys input... DG, motoworks and lexx are very reasonably priced.... but will the hmf really work better than the rest to be worth the extra money?? i know not many people like DG.. what is the reasoning for this? as for motoworks and lexx i really havent heard anything bad about them and ive seen some say that motoworks is the "best bang for the buck" pipe to get.. i do not make much money so money is an option for me, and are there any other reasonably priced slip-on pipes worth looking at.. ive found a DG for 159 bucks, also whats the sound like with these pipes id prefer not to have a quiet pipe like the stock pipe but if one is a little quieter with more of a boost im more in favor of that one.. thanks in advance for your input :)

CJM
03-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Dg is cheap junk that falls apart.

I have a lexx, its ok but is cheap. motoworks is great for the money and hmf is just mroe expensive.

All aftermarket exhausts are basically just a straight thru design and you wont gain much difference between the bunch.

Drfat400ex
03-14-2012, 10:35 PM
^x2 Don't buy DG for sure their pipes are crap. Don't ever buy a cobra either they're even worse!!

400exjoker
03-14-2012, 10:53 PM
CJM whats the sound like on the Lexx? do u have the quiet core in it?

03-14-2012, 10:55 PM
if you're looking at slip on only you might as well keep the stocker and pull the spark arrestor,buy a decent air filter and jet properly.most importantly with everything you've saved you'll be well on your way to a full exhaust,and mostly there on jetting.

Drfat400ex
03-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Taking out the spark arrestor wont give you any power, I did it with my stocker and all it does is make it louder. If you want it to be quiter then stock go and get a db dawg for about 30 bucks I think. Don't waste your time on a full exhaust either, the 400ex headpipe design can't really be improved upon any unless you have a heavy built engine, not worth the 250 bucks for no power increase. Definatly go for a UNI filter as well though.

400exjoker
03-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by PAxcThumper
if you're looking at slip on only you might as well keep the stocker and pull the spark arrestor,buy a decent air filter and jet properly.most importantly with everything you've saved you'll be well on your way to a full exhaust,and mostly there on jetting.

im getting a new uni air filter also.. and debating either drilling holes in my air box, getting an outerwears cover lid or just taking it off all together i plan on keeping my motor for the most part stock so do u think thre is really a reason for getting the full exhaust?? ive read alot of people just grind down the welds on the stock headers and run those.. i do not want to keep the stock exhause ive removed the spark arester and put a different tip and to me it still doesnt sound like its up to par with my buddies FMF slipon..

400exjoker
03-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Drfat400ex i was in the proses of typing when uposted, but thanks for the reasureance on the headers

Drfat400ex
03-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah definatly grind the header welds down, take off/modify or buy an aftermarket lid. The welds really doesn't do alot but it's free and I honestly felt just a tad more throttle response.

trailrider894
03-14-2012, 11:16 PM
I say HMF or Motoworks...

Not trying to be grammar police here, but don't use the word conflicted in a love letter... i tried that once and she laughed at me... ahhh......those were the good days... :scary:

400exjoker
03-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
I say HMF or Motoworks...

Not trying to be grammar police here, but don't use the word conflicted in a love letter... i tried that once and she laughed at me... ahhh......those were the good days... :scary:

lmao when i was younger i told a girl i was confliced on weither to go out with her or her friend and needless to say i didnt get either

03-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Drfat400ex
Taking out the spark arrestor wont give you any power, I did it with my stocker and all it does is make it louder. If you want it to be quiter then stock go and get a db dawg for about 30 bucks I think. Don't waste your time on a full exhaust either, the 400ex headpipe design can't really be improved upon any unless you have a heavy built engine, not worth the 250 bucks for no power increase. Definatly go for a UNI filter as well though.

so then what exactly is your recommendation for this fella on what exhaust to get and how to spend his money?$30 for a more constrictive exhaust?that seems like more of a waste of time for the money and for the future.i'm sure as this guy goes on with his build he will surely regret a full exhaust system,better air cleaner and proper jetting.what was i thinking.thx fat

JOHNDOE83
03-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Dg is cheap junk that falls apart.

I have a lexx, its ok but is cheap. motoworks is great for the money and hmf is just mroe expensive.

All aftermarket exhausts are basically just a straight thru design and you wont gain much difference between the bunch.

This is 100% true.

Really if you can afford it and it looks good to you, it will perform the same as a insanely expensive slipon.

Dont break the bank and expect to see anything better then the less expensive slip on, they will generally have the same performance.

As long as DB and forestry regulations arent a issue were you ride then it doesnt really matter.

400exjoker
03-15-2012, 01:17 PM
yeah sound level is not a problem, think im going to get the motoworks i really dont like the looks of the lexx i would get the hmf but im on a tight budget, im going to get a new air filter when i order the pipe and think im going to buy dynojet kit so i have a bunch of jets to play with...

CJM
03-15-2012, 02:41 PM
www.jetsrus.com Buy the jets from them, dyno jets suck and although they work they are quite hard to tune keihin carbs with.

250ex 2010
03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Joker,
Not trying to change your mind about the motoworks at all, they are great pipes, but if u r realling wanting the HMF i picked a new colored one up for $220 from an ebay store, I believe they are still selling them for that, let me know if u want the name...
Matt.

TheAwesomehonda
03-15-2012, 03:49 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HMF-Competition-Exhaust-Pipe-Muffler-Honda-400EX-99-00-01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-/400279680435?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d328735b3&vxp=mtr Get that hmf competition series exhaust in the link it can be tunned from loud to quiet with the different baffles. You wont regret the extra dollar man!!!!

400exjoker
03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 250ex 2010
Joker,
Not trying to change your mind about the motoworks at all, they are great pipes, but if u r realling wanting the HMF i picked a new colored one up for $220 from an ebay store, I believe they are still selling them for that, let me know if u want the name...
Matt.

yeah if u could give me the link i would apreciate it

quadmanw
03-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Motoworks:devil: I like the HMF but personally love the look and sound of the motoworks. Hmf is just a tad deeper and louder I would say. And motoworks doesn't have that crappy clamp that rusts and becomes useless

250ex 2010
03-16-2012, 10:50 AM
The link is below, that is a black one but they have all of the different colors including pollished. The reason i went with HMF was because of the color choices. The store name is leesonsatv. I made an offer of either $225 or 220 cant remeber now but they accepted it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HMF-Black-Exhaust-Pipe-TRX400EX-TRX400-TRX-400-400EX-/200564362058?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eb2914b4a

Matt

bryan1984
03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
expensive but i like Sparks X6

400exjoker
03-16-2012, 11:34 PM
i got an hmf slip on off ebay for 225, i was bidding on a full fmf exhaust i seen for only 74 bucks and some one sniped it from me for 86 bucks.... pissed me off i sat there looking at the screen for 30 minutes waiting for some one to outbid me then my slow internet wasnt fast enough to do the little bid war with 10 seconds left

TheAwesomehonda
03-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 400exjoker
i got an hmf slip on off ebay for 225, i was bidding on a full fmf exhaust i seen for only 74 bucks and some one sniped it from me for 86 bucks.... pissed me off i sat there looking at the screen for 30 minutes waiting for some one to outbid me then my slow internet wasnt fast enough to do the little bid war with 10 seconds left Did you get the compitition series like i showed you?

400exjoker
03-17-2012, 12:52 PM
No I got the performance series one, I don't see the reason for paying the extra money for the quiet inserts that the comp comes with when it doesn't matter if ur to loud around here, my neighbors have full sparks exhaust on there predo and crapter, I also like the way the performance series looks compared to the comp

400man
03-17-2012, 01:08 PM
for a long time ive had just a stock head pipe with hmf slip-on, but today I put a white brothers R4 full exhaust on today with shorty silencer and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE :devil: . Alot better throttle response and a much deeper sound. feels so snappy and at WOT it just sounds mean, feels like I have an air cooled 450r :D

i'll post some pics later.

250ex 2010
03-17-2012, 02:12 PM
i got an hmf slip on off ebay for 225, i was bidding on a full fmf exhaust i seen for only 74 bucks and some one sniped it from me for 86 bucks.... pissed me off i sat there looking at the screen for 30 minutes waiting for some one to outbid me then my slow internet wasnt fast enough to do the little bid war with 10 seconds left
Did you end up getting it from leesonsatv?

TheAwesomehonda
03-17-2012, 02:20 PM
No I got the performance series one, I don't see the reason for paying the extra money for the quiet inserts that the comp comes with when it doesn't matter if ur to loud around here, my neighbors have full sparks exhaust on there predo and crapter, I also like the way the performance series looks compared to the comp Ok thats ok but i would have still recommended the full system..

400exjoker
03-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 250ex 2010
Did you end up getting it from leesonsatv?

no i got it from racemartllc, i did put in a best offer to leesonsatv but they were taking to long and im not a very patient person so i retracted my offer and got the one i seen for 225 they had another one for 219 that had a factiry defect on the mid pipe where it bolts up but i seen this one with nother wrong with it so i grabbed it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320799246398?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

finsteratv
03-20-2012, 09:58 PM
My buddy has a Lexx on his LTR and it seems to be a pretty decent pipe.