PDA

View Full Version : This Lowering Kit Any Good?

cheater13
03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Just looking around and found this lowering kit that's pretty cheap:

http://www.crjperformance.com/hotrx4540rel.html

Anyone heard about them or used them before?

Also found this front lowering kit for only 30 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-400EX-TRX400EX-Front-Lowering/dp/B001UPVT5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331741323&sr=8-1

dxcody
03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Dont know about the rear link, but i have the front lowering kit made by them and it SUCKS!

Its works, but it makes it ride rough as hell.

cheater13
03-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Well this is only for drag racing purposes, but that rear link looks the same as any other and it's a bit cheaper than durablue's rear one.

dxcody
03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
For drag racing i would say go for it!

They work and everything and really improve cornering but they just make it ride very rough.

I have the front kit i would sell you. PM if interested.

cheater13
03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Sounds good. I would like to see some opinions of the rear link if anyone has any also? And alright, i pmed you.

chronicsmoke
03-14-2012, 11:07 AM
I bought a link to lower my raptor, but I would never trust the turnbuckle style.. I bought a solid piece one that isnt adjustable.. lowered it like 2" i thinkk.. YFZ shocks lowered the front and now it corners like it's on rails.. Not to common for stock-ish Raptors, lol

It might have even been made by CRJ, it was 2 years ago,.. :confused:

That solid style link on the Raptor held up to 50+ footers while my buddy tried my 450r out at the Harrowsmith track in Kingston:p It's still a plug though, heavy sob

cheater13
03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Can you buy solid struts or would it be easier to just make them for the rear?

And yeah i heard about some shocks but 450r/yfz450 shocks run around 175-200 so i can't afford that at the moment. I was thinking maybe blaster shocks on the front. It would lower it to where the a arms sit about straight across and I heard you have to shave the mounts down some. Or maybe a lowering kit for the front and keep stock 400ex shocks?

chronicsmoke
03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure if you can buy them directly from e-bay anymore..

Email CRJ and ask them about it.. I'm pretty sure that's the company I dealt with. They had a few different lengths available for 'buy it now' back then..

Changing out the shocks just for the occaisional drag race seems like a colossal pain in the as$ to me.. work on your technique rather than try and compensate for lack of experience..

JOHNDOE83
03-14-2012, 06:24 PM
I have the dura blue lowering kit front and back and it didnt make the ride ruff, it actually made it better but your not supposed to hit jumps or anything like that with it.

JOHNDOE83
03-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by cheater13
Can you buy solid struts or would it be easier to just make them for the rear?

And yeah i heard about some shocks but 450r/yfz450 shocks run around 175-200 so i can't afford that at the moment. I was thinking maybe blaster shocks on the front. It would lower it to where the a arms sit about straight across and I heard you have to shave the mounts down some. Or maybe a lowering kit for the front and keep stock 400ex shocks?

They sell drag struts for ATVs on ebay but they cost around $175.

I thought you were making struts already?

cheater13
03-15-2012, 06:36 AM
John: I'm getting ready to make the rear strut but im still unsure about what i'm doing to the front of the quad. I been told to put blaster shocks on it and it would make it sit lower for drag racing, and i been told to put a lowering kit on it and it will help a little from pulling up.

chronicsmoke: I'll email him but that strut i posted on this thread was from crj and it was only 45 bucks, but it is the turnbuckle style i'm pretty sure. And i always do practice my technique, but it is always different at the races. I can pull the holeshot perfectly in the dirt that i practice in but when i take off up at the races, i always pull up some no matter what i do.

440rdr1
03-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Just looking around and found this lowering kit that's pretty cheap:

http://www.crjperformance.com/hotrx4540rel.html

Anyone heard about them or used them before?

Also found this front lowering kit for only 30 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-400EX-TRX400EX-Front-Lowering/dp/B001UPVT5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331741323&sr=8-1

i was riding my buddies 400 last night which actually had BOTH of those kits installed lol

Front:

rides rough as hell, can bunny hop the front wheels just by leaning back on the quad (no BS) and when your in WOT hitting bumps its like riding a bull bc your being thrown front to back (no front front travel)....not to mention ur wrists feel like they are going to break when u land a jump!

Rear:

the rear shock link pertrudes out of his swingarm skid plate & rides rough as hell

ON A BETTER NOTE:

quad looks bad *** lol

chronicsmoke
03-15-2012, 07:09 AM
I wish I had a picture to show you, obviously the Yamaha design is different, but it's possible to make a custom dogbone link for the Honda.

The linkage will alter the Geo. and shock wont be ideal for the application without a rebuild.. I didn't revalve the raptor yet, but played with the the settings to get it a bit better.. I forget whether I had to stiffen it up or loosen it abit..

I REALLY need a-arms for it.. I've got the death of a kitty on my hands for using spacers on the front :blah: But it's a trail quad that barely gets used.. (I'm still against spacers..)

cheater13
03-15-2012, 08:04 AM
440rdr1: Well i didn't plan on doing any jumps with it. I just want it to drag race with. I still don't know if i should strut the back and put blaster shocks on the front, or just get an all around lowering kit on it like your friend did. This is for drag racing purposes only.

chronic: Yeah i need a new lower right a arm on mine due to a dent from a rock hitting it or something. And i dont even have one of the bushings in it unless its wedged in there that i can't even see it. :ermm:

440rdr1
03-15-2012, 08:26 AM
440rdr1: Well i didn't plan on doing any jumps with it. I just want it to drag race with. I still don't know if i should strut the back and put blaster shocks on the front, or just get an all around lowering kit on it like your friend did. This is for drag racing purposes only.

chronic: Yeah i need a new lower right a arm on mine due to a dent from a rock hitting it or something. And i dont even have one of the bushings in it unless its wedged in there that i can't even see it. :ermm:

i know nothing about the whole drag racing setup but id imagine these kits would work great for that... as far as a professional stand point....i dunno but a cheaper alternative yes

Dobber
03-17-2012, 08:32 PM
ran that same kit front and back when i drag raced my old 400, and now use it on my 450 too. if all your going to do is drag race with it, it will work perfect.

tayyo789
03-18-2012, 06:00 PM
struts are cheaper, you can make them yourself or improvise (I used some spare tie rods off a buddies old sprint car, cut to length with hiems on the ends) and shocks are simply too heavy for drag racing IMO. Unless of course you're racing on a rough surface, in which case I would suggest looking for some Marvin Shaws on Ebay

cheater13
03-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Dobber
ran that same kit front and back when i drag raced my old 400, and now use it on my 450 too. if all your going to do is drag race with it, it will work perfect.

Alright cool. I plan on getting both the cjm front and rear kit off their website. Now all i need to look for is either some razr's or ohtsu's.