PDA

View Full Version : Re-Chroming a Pipe

Number22
03-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Does anyone know of any companies that will re-chrome a used pipe? Duncan did this once for me back in the day for one of their pipes, but I know they don't do it anymore. I've got two nice Sparks pipes that could use it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

racerx573
03-16-2012, 10:50 AM
ROCK THE BARE PIPE!!!! I love the look of the bare pipes, but just google local or natioanl chrome shops.

If you're not looking for a show chrome look, check out

http://www.jet-hot.com/

They do a very nice shiny ceramic coating, which will help keep the pipe cooler, as well as look sharp. It's more durable than chrome as well.

Number22
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Cool thanks for the info. I do have a bare sparks pipe on it now, I'm just worried about rust. It's kept at my parents, so I'll only get to ride it a couple times a year. I coated it with WD 40, so hopefully that keeps the rust away.

TLR-Online
03-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Talk to BDT, they do some nice chrome work!

aztecgwynn
03-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Personally I would think about chroming those rare pipes here is why.
Back in the day when I had a Banshee I had a set of Toomey T-4 pipes I had chromed. Well it turned out the chromer must have buffed too much around the welds on the pipes, don't get me wrong they looked awesome but it was the begining of an expensive repair. It turns out that I was at Glamis first time out with my nice chromed pipes and I hit the power band hard and boom left hand pipe separated at the weld.
After that time I bought a set of FMF SST pipes for that same Banshee and had those chromed also by the same chromer and same outcome at Glamis left side exploded at welds.
During both times bike was properly jetted but the only conclusion I had at the time was during prep before chroming is they must clean with some type of orbitor buffer or grinder and second after chroming it gets buffed for that bright sparkle. Which in return wear down the thin welds that hold pipes together and are a weak spot on pipes.
But my conclusion is this, those CS pipes are no longer being made and are rarely sold but if the pipe was an FMF or any other common pipe I may take gamble but considering you have rare pipes I probably wouldn't do it.
Just an opinion good luck.

Motofool250r
03-19-2012, 09:16 AM
triple chrome is a 3 part process, first a copper coat, then a bright nickle coating then finally a show polish chrome.

so the shiney part is actually the polished bright nickel under the chrome the chrome is just really a sealant on the top.

sounds like the chromers that were working on your pipes wre not so good back in the day. as fmf pipes are pretty thick compared to like a matt shearer pipe.