PDA

View Full Version : Drilling new bolt pattern

dariusld
03-03-2003, 08:05 PM
I messed up the holes the bolts go in on my back rim(Douglas 125's). So I drilled a new pattern. Didn't get it quite right, so I drilled a third pattern. Not quite perfect but it worked. I know I should of just bought a new rim but I'm cheap. Took it out for a weekend and it held up, brought spares just in case. Has anyone drilled their own pattern and what method did you use?

Doibugu2
03-03-2003, 08:19 PM
If you now have 3 bolt patterns on your tire, its going to break. May not be today, or next week, but I would bet just about anything that will give. Clip a tree or land hard on a jump and your tire is going to get ripped off. If that happens, your going to be hurting. Do yourself a favor and buy a new rim. It will be cheaper than an ER visit.:eek2:

Razorback
03-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I messed up the holes the bolts go in on my back rim(Douglas 125's). So I drilled a new pattern. Didn't get it quite right, so I drilled a third pattern. Not quite perfect but it worked. I know I should of just bought a new rim but I'm cheap. Took it out for a weekend and it held up, brought spares just in case. Has anyone drilled their own pattern and what method did you use?

I had a set of rims once with two different bolt patterns. They had a pair of paddles on them, so the sand wasn't too rough on the rims. Doibugu2 is probably right if you do some really rough riding.

forum
03-03-2003, 08:33 PM
don't worry about it. If your running 125's they are weak enuff as it is. Im not saying the holes don't make is weaker cause they do. But having a rim break shouldn't cause and bodily injuries unless your realy unlucky. I've had rims come clean off while going varly fast on a paved road. Of course it was a rear. the front is another story. that could be dangerous.

JOEX
03-03-2003, 09:42 PM
I'd use the redrilled one for spares if I were you.

Joe

02Yellow400
03-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Yeah man thats a tuff call. Hopefully everything will hold but i would not trust it. How much is a new .125? Better to spend some cash rather then have something happen.