PDA

View Full Version : Cams

Jekyl_22
12-08-2001, 09:46 PM
I obviously don't know much about cams at all (as you will be able to tell), but how much will a cam help my 400EX? I ride mainly mx, and dunes. Which kind of cam should I get? Do I have to have a shop install it for me? Thanks...:macho

12-09-2001, 07:16 PM
A cam is just one part in the air flow system of an engine. Without increasing the flow with a pipe, jet kit, airbox mods, jetting, and or porting you would not notice much difference with just a cam. Look at some of the mods that people have in their sigs to get an idea of what you can do. And get ready to spend some money. It seems to add up quite fast.

stevengates45
12-09-2001, 07:33 PM
heres the deal with a 4 stroke. If you do 1 thing & want power out of it you're going to have to do other things to get it to run the way you would want it to. If you get a cam, you're gonna need valve springs, hard faced rocker arms(no power increase really, but neccessary). If you do anything, i reccomend a high comp piston & port job.

Sandragggen
12-10-2001, 10:19 PM
The attachment shows the different types of cams that Web Cam offers. The 450/451 grind is the least aggresive but equal to a XR400 cam. The 463/9i grind is the most aggressive that Web Cam offers. I know with the 463/9i cam, riding in the woods is harder than with the 450/451 cam. Alot of times guys that install the 463/9i cam also will do the larger intake valve mod. The 450/451 is a drop in cam, and the 463/9i shortened valve guides will be needed. The attachment pretty much speaks for itself. I would let someone who knows what they are doing to install the cam. You have to degree the cam and unless you know how to do that, send it to the shop, but not just any shop.