PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Cable, or clutch?

rhinomxer
03-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Stock 05 450r, just got it. Engine has never even been opened. Its kinda hard to get to start, but I assume the valves need adjusted its 7 years old and was never done. Anyway when its running and you put it in gear, you can hold the clutch all the way in but it still lightly pulls and will roll you forward slowly when running in gear. I adjusted the cable out but still does it. So is the original clutch getting weak or is the cable just stretched? I assume cable but I am un-certain and cant afford to play guess and buy. Cable or clutch? Thanks guys!

trx400Rider
03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
how many hours do you think is on your 450

rhinomxer
03-11-2012, 09:37 PM
No idea really. I got it from the original owner recently and he bought itnew in 06, then did 4 years over seas. The plastic is quite scratched and stuff though I assume is gotta be close to 100 hours anyway cause the rear shock and stuff is weak too.

blacknblue#2
03-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Clutch basket may be grooved.

d3ktrix
03-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Clutch basket may be grooved.

Agreed, sounds like a grooved basket or the clutch cable has too much slack.

Super easy to check the basket, just remove the tan clutch inspection cover on the right side of the engine.
Either drain the tranny oil or tilt the quad up on its left side so the oil doesn't spill out when you remove the cover.

Check where the tabs on the clutch fibers contact the fingers on the clutch basket. If the there is significant indents this surface, it can cause the clutch fibers not to release fully.