PDA

View Full Version : Rubber a arm boot??

Steve89x
03-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Hey guys,

I have an 05' 400 with stock a arms and the lower left ball joint is bad so i got another a arm from a buddy he had used laying around..the ball joint still seems good on it but the rubber boot is torn.. anyone know if those rubber boots can be replaced and if so where to buy them?? If not I see that armadillo a arms have replaceable ball joints.. rocky mountain sells the ball joints but not the a arms. Anyone know where I can buy them or another set of after market a arms?? I'm not looking to go extended or anything just stock size but prederablly something that the ball joints can be replaced or something cheap..

Any help would be great

quadmanw
03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
The boots on the stock a arms are not replaceable. The balljoints are pressed into the stock arms which means they're pretty much not replaceable also. So you're pretty much out of luck there. It is hard to find aftermarket a arms that are not extended and that are cheap.. So in your case maybe your best bet is looking for another pair of stockers on eBay or Craigslist? About the best cheap a arms you will find are GT Thunder, Alba, and you can usually find houser priced pretty fair. Hope this helped!

CJM
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Go on ebay and look up a-arm balljoints Such as this one, its for a 450r but its the same (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=180749572098&nma=true&rt=nc&si=KwahIT8xDCUsDLjsWXEhdiRWkGk%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc)

Then go get your sawzall and cut off the ball joint end and such. Drill it out to accept the new one, bolt it up and perform a small alignment and your done.

Or you could try cleaning it off really good with brakeclean and putting rtv on it. Make sure theres grease in there fore your start tho.

Thumpin440ex
03-12-2012, 12:02 AM
When I had to replace mine, I just bout a cheap bent set of arms, that had good boots on them.

John

DoonRider
03-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Buy a new arm from Motosport (or your dealer). Check the prices, they are relatively cheap. Then you will have everything and it will be right.
Sometimes Motosport has 25% off their OEM stuff, so it will be cheaper yet if you can wait.

http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/HONDA/2005/TRX400EX/FRONT-ARM

Steve89x
03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and info, I'm not looking to sink 500+ dollars into this quad anymore for a arms ...its getting to the point where its not worth it haha...this quad is beat...I think i may try packing the ball joint with grease and then using some large heat shrink to try and seal it...may or may not work, either way ill just ride it

chronicsmoke
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Steve89x
...this quad is beat...

Rebuild time?

Paint and bearings are fairly inexpensive :macho

Steve89x
03-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Ya i just bought bearings for everything besides the rear shock assembly and have the quad stripped down to the frame getting ready to paint it...