PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic Evo2 Battery

Wheelie
03-11-2012, 02:24 PM
The battery in my quad is not going to make it through another season, been running a yt12ab-s for 5 years--great battery.

I've been looking at the Ballistic evo2 8 cell battery. Anyone have any personal experience with these batteries? The lower maintenance and light weight make it very tempting. It only weighs 1.7lbs--over 6lbs lighter than my current battery and 275cca. Should be more than enough to turn the 440 over.

Any feedback and reviews are appreciated.

Jeremiah

Battery (http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.php)

ish416
03-11-2012, 07:46 PM
I've been running a CV4 battery in my KFX450R and haven't had any issues. These batteries are small and light and pack a good amount of CCA.

The only issue you may have is securing it to the quad.

Wheelie
03-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I found these today, from what I've read they're much easier to mount than the ballistic battery. The battery posts were updated to a stronger design earlier this year as well.

Shorai Battery (http://www.shoraipower.com/s-234109-Fourtrax-400EX.aspx)

CJM
03-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Im liking the second one MUCH better than the evo. The evo looks like it will be a pain to get mounted up right so it doesnt flop around and the other one is near the same as factory but lighter and better.

chevymanrick
03-12-2012, 06:55 AM
That second one is a lot better it comes with foam too, so that it fits snug in your battery box.

NacsMXer
03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Subscribed. I've been waiting for this new lithium ion technology to develop, and it looks very promising.

I'm also running a YT12AB-S. It was the replacement to my stocker that lasted an amazing 9 years. I agree it is a great battery. Only downside is it is about a pound heavier than the stock battery. The new Li Ion batteries provide a huge weight savings over the older traditional units.

Thanks for posting the Shorai Battery for the 400EX Wheelie. Looks like they solved the problem of mounting a tiny Li Ion battery by encasing their lightweight Li Ion cells in a stock-sized outer shell. Smart thinking. The price is a bit expensive, but i'm sure it will drop with time.

Wheelie
03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I just compared dimensions between the Shorai battery and the yt12a-bs. The Shorai is 2mm shorter in length, 1mm narrower and 19mm shorter in height. Packaging should be very simple with the supplied foam.

The price is tough on the palate, however I may overlook the price for a chance to try one of these out myself. Shaving 6lbs for under $100 (above the cost of a Yuasa) can't be beat. Not to mention it would be cool to have a battery that weighs less than a good morning bm.

chevymanrick
03-12-2012, 10:20 AM
You can buy the lith-ion battery at rocky mountain atv ffor a few bucks cheaper that's what ill be getting when the stocker runs out of juice..

Wheelie
03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I found those, Rocky mountain sells the HD version of the Shorai I have linked in a earlier post. 275cca and only .06lbs heavier than the standard version.

NacsMXer
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
I found those, Rocky mountain sells the HD version of the Shorai I have linked in a earlier post. 275cca and only .06lbs heavier than the standard version.

Very nice. Did you happen to read their FAQ?

You can multiply Shorai's CCA rating by 1.5 if you want to compare to the CCA ratings of today's lead acid batteries. So 275 x 1.5 = 412.5 real world CCA's! Bet that will turn the motor over so fast :eek2: I just wonder if the starter will be ok with all that juice or not.

Stock YTX9B-S is 120 CCA's and the upgraded Yuasa YT12AB-S (Hayabusa battery) is 175 CCA's for those who are wondering ;)

Wheelie
03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I just wonder if the starter will be ok with all that juice or not.

I'm willing to take a gamble, but I don't think it will be a problem. The starter in my EX is still the original one, nearly 13 years old. It would make an ideal test mule.

chevymanrick
03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't think it would be a problem, but I bet people with aftermarket rev boxes would enjoy the extra juice to get their bike started without the aid of a booster box

NacsMXer
03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah you'll never know until you try, Wheelie. If you do pick one up, do you think you could post a video starting the machine up with the current Yuasa battery vs. the Shorai? It would be interesting to see the real world difference in how much faster/stronger the Shorai cranks the motor over.

(edit) I was referring to these batteries incorrectly. They are not Lithium Ion like the type in your cell phone lol. They are Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) technology batteries.

NacsMXer
03-12-2012, 06:20 PM
There are some interesting cold start characteristics of these batteries. They can be cold blooded at first on a very cold day. However each subsequent start attempt or any draw on the battery like leaving your headlights (or SPAL fan lol) on, actually warms the battery allowing voltage to recover.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AOzpYsLDUAM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NacsMXer
03-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Another cold start, but with a Shorai this time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-R-rS5pWB8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

blaster12s
03-12-2012, 06:30 PM
i have used the Ballistic 4cell in a cbr f4i powerd FSAE race car and it worked great. very light and never failed a single time.

honda400ex2003
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
subscribed for a great thread thats progressing!

steve

destroyer85golf
03-14-2012, 09:27 PM
the third time that guy cranked the harley up it was indeed like someone turned a switch. that was pretty cool!

ish416
03-15-2012, 08:13 AM
the third time that guy cranked the harley up it was indeed like someone turned a switch. that was pretty cool!

Sounds like he was just tapping the start button or that bike has some serious compression.

My KFX450 (12:1 compression) with the 8 cell CV4 battery doesn't have that issue. It will prime the fuel pump then spin the engine over without any issues regardless of temperature. That battery also fires up my EX with no problems either.

Wheelie
03-31-2012, 07:51 PM
I've decided to buy the 210cca version, they're listed on ebay for $145 shipped. It'll be a couple weeks before I order one, as soon as I do I'll update this thread.

ggodfreyX
04-02-2012, 11:12 AM
My 400ex lead acid battery is only a year old so I won't upgrade just yet. I have the Shorai in my CRF450X and it works perfect. The only issue is that I could not use my tenders on the battery. Shorai states that you don't need to maintain their batteries but old habits are hard to break. The foam it comes with has different sizes and thickness with adhesive. Mounting it should not be an issue at all. I love the Shorai battery but do you guys think it would be a problem to jump start to or form a lead acid battery? Shorai does not address this in their FAQS.

Wheelie
06-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I just ordered the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 battery through rockymountainatv. If all goes as planned, I'll install it next weekend along some other parts/mods I have planned (new airbox, tail/brake light and wiring in my 450r brake switch).

I don't have a video camera so I won't be able to do a video comparison of my wore out Yuasa vs the Shorai. However if there are any questions or pictures anyone has/wants, post them up before I do the install and I'll do my best to answer any questions/concerns.

Kansas T
06-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I installed a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 in my 06 450er and love it. It's much smaller and lighter than the stock battery, but they sent foam pads along to fill in the gaps in the battery box. The battery starts my 450er better than it ever has.

Wheelie
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Battery is installed and fit great--the provided foam makes it really easy to take up what free space there is in the battery box. I really like that the factory put foam on the nuts that go under the terminals making it much easier to thread the terminal screws in.

The quad turns over faster and starts easier than it did with the YT12A-BS in it, although not so fast as to cause concern. I doubt the extra cranking power of this battery will ever cause starter problems. Also quite surprising was the voltage of the battery out of the box, 13.1 volts. The SPAL fan really sings without the engine running.

I only took 4 or 5 pictures comparing battery sizes and before and after install pictures. I'll post em' up tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Wheelie
06-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Old Battery
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0307-1.jpg

Size comparison Pics
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0308-1.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0309-1.jpg

I attached the foam to the battery, the stock battery tray is well worn.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0310-1.jpg

Battery in place. Much stronger than the Yuasa.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0311-3.jpg

dustin_j
06-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Thank you for the initial write-up. It looks like a nice unit. Did you happen to weigh the new vs old to see what weight difference is? I would be interested to hear a follow up this fall, if you don't mind, to see if it's been recharging well and holding up for you. Thanks.

Wheelie
06-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I didn't weigh the batteries, Shorai's website lists a 5.21lb difference. After holding the two batteries in my hand, I don't doubt that claim. The Shorai is so light it feels like an empty battery shell.

It gets below 30 degrees here at night frequently for about 5 months out of the year. I'll be doing a lot of cold start testing this winter.

Stickman400
04-27-2013, 06:21 PM
My stock Hayabusa battery I bought 2 or 3 years ago is taking a ****. I completely drained it 2 or 3 times over this past winter trying to start my cold blooded 400 when it was 20 or 25 outside and I ended up just wasting my time and ruining the battery. It won't hold a charge for nothing. I have it hooked up my Deltran battery tender every night and I can't ride for more than 2 or 3 hours before it gets completely drained from starting it 10 or 15 times over that course of time. I got lucky today and it completely died right as I got back to load it up in the truck.

So anyway I remember everyone saying these Lithium Iron batteries are the new age and are worth every penny. So I decided to buy one of the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 like you got after re-reading this thread. Just wanted to bump this and see how this thing is still holding up. Any complaints or is it still working like a top?

Wheelie
04-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Battery works like a top. Let it sit for over 5 months this winter in 10-40 degree weather most days. Fired it up the middle of February while it was about 35 degrees outside. After the battery 'warmed up', it spun the stroker over very well. I was truly impressed.

Rode a couple times in March and earlier this month and the battery performed flawlessly. Puts the 'Busa' battery to shame.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again and would highly recommend one to anybody. I'd love to find one for my Mustang.