PDA

View Full Version : GNCC Racing Tips?

shaggy01
03-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Finally decided to get into racing and will be racing in several races this season and i was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on riding, training, set up, etc... I've been doing alot of strength and cardio training. Getting all the little bugs worked out on the quad. One thing i am worried about is the start. Any tips on how to get a good start with an electric start?

Ill be on a 2007 400ex. pretty much stock other than ITP holeshots and 450r shocks revalved w/ dual rate kit. More to come later in the season but i just want to get a few good finishes under my belt.

So im open to any advice, tips, smart ***** comments, whatever.

Thanks

xcracer416
03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
have you ever raced before? on a 400ex what class was you thinking? the key to a gncc is protection. if you dont want burnt you are going to have to make your quad bulletproof to the elements of the track.

since it is a 400ex i would suggest sport class where all quads cannot exceed 400cc. i was actually going to do a complete build for sport class but decided to go ahead and make my race bike new again.

shaggy01
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Nope. Never raced before. Riden most of my life and i consider myself a pretty decent rider. Atleast i think. I normally ride pretty aggresively. But being that i've never raced before my first race in the first year racer class just to see how it is. If it goes well then i'll probably register for the next one in the sport class.

05DodgeDakota
03-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Go ahead and race the points class, don't waste your time with the first year racer/sportsman non points classes, that way at the next race you already have some points. I just raced the first round in sport class. Don't let the 400cc and under fool you, some of those guys are A riders. The #1 and #2 finishers in sport were in the top ten overall in the AM to give you a refference. I'd race the age appropriate C class if I were you.

Keep up with the cardio work outs, and get plenty of seat time on your bike on rough, tight trails. Before the race HYDRATE, eat plenty of carbs, be well rested, and use the bathroom right before the start (funny story lol). The biggest help for me was to bring friends and family to the race to cheer you on from the trailside. It helps so much seeing them, other spectators and even other racers cheering you on!

shaggy01
03-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Yeah. I debated C class but i didn't want to discourage myself by finishing bad the first time out so i was going to do first year class just to see where i compare to other riders. C class maybe my next race. Whats the average C class rider like? (hardcore weeekend warrior with a build quad or a good, aggresive rider with a mild quad who enjoys competition)

Yeah, i eat healthy on a regular basis and drink plenty of water. Race is this saturday so ive been planning my workouts and meals accordingly and do plan on getting carbs the night before. And chugging water a couple days before the race. Been doing stretches and eating bananas to hopefully reduce arm pump and keep from cramping up. Not sure if its excessive doing some of this but i just want to do well.

I'll hopefully have a few people there to support me. It'll be a interesting experience, thats for sure.

xcracer416
03-13-2012, 11:12 AM
some c class guys ahould belong in the afternoon......so when they blow your doors off dont feel bad. they are the one that hurt people in your situation.

the gncc is a national so its the place for everyone in each series to be the best in the nation.

all i can say is if you go out there to have fun, and end the race having fun. results shouldnt discourage you, it will show you what you need to work on.

some of the rich c class riders will have a pro level quad, dont get siked out about what the other person is sitting on, you beat the rider not the machine.

quad setups just help the rider last for two hours at a fast pace. i ran stock ssuspension until A class, then i got faster after my setup was gravy.

you cant win a race off the start, you win it on consistancy, and the pace you set for yourself. all the rest will fall in place

shaggy01
03-15-2012, 11:59 AM
I guess we'll see how this weekend goes at the general but i'm probably going to do C class at big buck. Looking forward to racing saturday. Hopefully all goes well and me and the 400 make it across the finish line in one piece.

As long as i finish ill be happy. Just gotta make sure i can get into a groove and just ride.

Anyone riden at Aonia Pass before? What's it like? Never got a chance to run down there and ride it beforehand.

xcracer416
03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
i loved the track everytime ive ridden it. usually the mx track isnt in the morning race. if you want it you have to go for it in the afternoon. conditions are gonna be the best there in the past few seasons

speedracer350X
03-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Go out and have fun.. Finish at least one lap, don't try to win it in the first turn, hare scramble/XC racing is about surviving a race also. One particular race I was in it thunder stormed really bad during the 2nd lap of a local Dist 6 race. They white flagged it early for obvious safety reasons ( the trail turned into a stream, no visiblility, etc. )Anyways, I saw alot of guys pulling off the trail to wait it out I guess. I just clicked it down in first and kept chuggin along. Low and behold, I won my class, due to attrition more than anything, just don't quit!! Anyways, didn't mean to ramble. Go have fun, research these sites for ideas and setups, and remember, it's 90% rider in my opinion at my level, I'm def. no pro, just a hardcore weekend warrior from back in the 3 wheel days!!