PDA

View Full Version : stage 6 clutch input please

fomospede
03-10-2012, 09:13 PM
ok these S6 clutch boxes have some little brass (i assume) pills that can be put in the clutch shoes
question ,
when would these become needed?
which position would you put them in and why
and who uses them
thanks for any input

djdfairchild
03-11-2012, 11:10 AM
i dont use them, i assume they will add weight to the shoe allowing it to engage sooner, probably for non racing applications or scooters.

nastynotchback1
03-13-2012, 09:43 AM
if you add them it makes the stall go up higher.they make the shoe heavier and it takes more force to make them sling out.some are using them trying to get 8000+ rpm stall and it works.

fomospede
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
if you add them it makes the stall go up higher.they make the shoe heavier and it takes more force to make them sling out.some are using them trying to get 8000+ rpm stall and it works.
thanks
doesnt sound like what we need!

EthansDad
03-14-2012, 08:00 AM
nasty, are you sure? have you actually put them in an with no other changes seen your stall go UP? like it was 7500, you put the brass pills in and it jumped to 8k??

I have never put them in, so I don't know, BUT my guess has always been if I add more weight to the spinning shoes (insert the pills), they will put more force on the springs at LOWER rpms, therefore shift out SOONER. everything I know about rotational forces says it should lower the stall.

nastynotchback1
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by EthansDad
nasty, are you sure? have you actually put them in an with no other changes seen your stall go UP? like it was 7500, you put the brass pills in and it jumped to 8k??

I have never put them in, so I don't know, BUT my guess has always been if I add more weight to the spinning shoes (insert the pills), they will put more force on the springs at LOWER rpms, therefore shift out SOONER. everything I know about rotational forces says it should lower the stall.

I have seen it done in person.I have been told by the pros that it will mess up a clutch set-up on a quad but it seem to work fine.On another note could you bring my drill bit set to the nats.I forgot to get them back before i left aonia.Thanks

EthansDad
03-14-2012, 09:24 AM
huh. I don't use the stage 6 anymore, but might have to play with that.

the ebay number on your drill bits is E3293823498. happy bidding, hope you win them back! :-)

they are in my big trailer and will stay there until I see you next, unless you really need them now. if you do, just email me and I'll ship them to you.

nastynotchback1
03-14-2012, 09:58 AM
No need to ship them.I will just bid on them and see what happens.Thanks lol

on the clutch thing i also watched the same person remove the stage 6 and install the yamasida and it seem to work better.

CVT tuning WOW what a day

djdfairchild
03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
i agree usually adding weight to something spinning should make it have more force on the spring. i've never tried it just assumed thats what it would do. makes me wonder how it works differently.:confused:

fomospede
03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by EthansDad
huh. I don't use the stage 6 anymore, but might have to play with that.

the ebay number on your drill bits is E3293823498. happy bidding, hope you win them back! :-)

they are in my big trailer and will stay there until I see you next, unless you really need them now. if you do, just email me and I'll ship them to you.

what brand clutch are you using now?

after a little look at the s6 i think if one was to put a pill in the inner position it may hold the shoe in longer as it is close to the pivot
ive never adjusted a yamasida by removing weight off the shoe
question if known how much weight would you remove from a yamasida to see a noticible difference?

what kind of drill bits?
i may need some to lighten some clutch shoes!

EthansDad
03-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Nasty, you better start bidding - seems like some interest in your drill bits :-)

I've tried a number of different clutches, and won't say what I'm using now. They all do the same job, but how much heat you have to create to do that job is key. less heat = good. I've seen folks drill the clutch shoes (reduce weight) that increases stall (goes up like from 6k to 7k and beyond). not a bad idea give the cost of stock VS s6 type clutches.

yea, I remember the first time I took a S6 clutch out of the box, having a "oh wow" moment looking at all the different color springs, weights, special drill holes and saying "man, I wonder what the f#$#k this all means".

so here is what bakes my noodles on this - this clutch, this centrifugal clutch as its called is using centrifugal forces to operates. duh, right? based on how centrifugal force works, the faster I spin something, or the more it weights, makes the force it generates go up. in this clutch, the force those little shoes make (their weight) acts against the little spring (colored ones, small). basic as it gets. so, if I increase centrifugal force (make the shoes weight more), and don't change my spring (now weak against the new increased force), the shoes win, overcome the force of the spring, and fling out sooner. I get it that there are different drill holes - some closer some farther away from the pivot points of the shoes - but that should only be a lever type advantage against the centrifugal force - like a little bit more/less - not changing or negating it completely - i.e. won't change the laws of physics and make centrifugal forces not work.

and that is why I never messed with those little pills -too much fine tuning. I change the springs and such to get stall were I need, or change the CVT setup around a bit - simple and done.

fomospede
03-14-2012, 12:08 PM
ohh i see
acient chinese secrets :p

there are 2 diameter cluthes available why would one use the larger version?

djdfairchild
03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
agreed, holes being farther away from the end would be a fine adjustment, still do the same thing as towards the end. to make a difference if would have to be on the opposite side of the pivot point.

EthansDad
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
there are 2 diameter cluthes available why would one use the larger version?

yea, like 107 VS 109mm or something like that - I've wondered that too, maybe we'll get enlightened, cause I don't know.

fomospede
03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
im a catalog junky
and have seen a 112mm

chunky0071
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
The 109mm are usually used on larger 4stroke scooters. They will work on ours but they are heavy and as far as I know they won't work with the slipper clutch!

I use the Dr pulley Hit clutch no body likes it because it's not easy to adjust ie stage six. But I have tryed it on our little 50 that was having some heat and hill climbing problems and they went a way. It now takes off on almost any hill!