PDA

View Full Version : Loud ticking and other things

Nick24
03-10-2012, 06:38 PM
So, last fall right before I was about to put away my EX it started ticking really loud while I was just riding it around pretty easy. It's obviously something in the top end so, I am going to check the clearances and cam. Anything elso to be looking at??

Also, I just took the airbox and stuff off and saw there was gas mixed with some oil sitting in the intake side of the carb. What would cause that??

Finally, I think I need to work on my jetting. You can look at my signature and tell me where you think I should start.

Thank you, Nick

Drfat400ex
03-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Not sure about the ticking, but I would be sure to check it out. My guess is that the oil in the carb is the oil you used to oil your filter has condensated into there or something, don't really know how else oil would get there.

03-13-2012, 06:56 PM
is it still ticking,have you run it in the last 5 months?i would start by starting it again and see what part of the engine its coming from and go from there.+1 on the oil filter oil in the carb,unless someones playing a prank on you.its impossible,without some major explosions and such i would imagine,for oil to travel up past your piston,through the valves/intake and into your carb.dont get too excited and remember to add 1 thousandth respectively to stock valve clearances when running a hotcam initially.iirc you can go back to stock clearances after some time tho.don't remember the exact details but hotcam,and im sure others on here,can help on the specifics of that.

CJM
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Check the valves, you can see how to do it here (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html)

They all tick, some more than others. Specially tick louder if you have a hotcam, mine sounds HORRIBLE but it runs very good so I just leave it be. Heres an example, mine sounds equally as bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cLmVB7IGCg&feature=g-wl&context=G2ec3d13AWAAAAAABTAA

TheAwesomehonda
03-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Well the way that oil can get into your air box is if it comes up the crank case breather hose and fills up that little container that is mounted on the side of the intake boot and then it would over flow and drain though the air filter down in the air box but the only way that would happen is if you were over full with oil.

03-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
Well the way that oil can get into your air box is if it comes up the crank case breather hose and fills up that little container that is mounted on the side of the intake boot and then it would over flow and drain though the air filter down in the air box but the only way that would happen is if you were over full with oil.

true,he did say carb though i believe.i always forget about that thing tho as i re-routed it and sealed off the entrance on the air boot on my first 400 in '02 and made it a staple to any subsequent.i forget about neglectful maintenance and the problems that can arise.good call i stand corrected.

TheAwesomehonda
03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by PAxcThumper
true,he did say carb though i believe.i always forget about that thing tho as i re-routed it and sealed off the entrance on the air boot on my first 400 in '02 and made it a staple to any subsequent.i forget about neglectful maintenance and the problems that can arise.good call i stand corrected. No your right because its impossible for oil to come though the carb I think.

Nick24
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Check the valves, you can see how to do it here (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html)

They all tick, some more than others. Specially tick louder if you have a hotcam, mine sounds HORRIBLE but it runs very good so I just leave it be. Heres an example, mine sounds equally as bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cLmVB7IGCg&feature=g-wl&context=G2ec3d13AWAAAAAABTAA

Yup, it definitely ticked before this, but the last time I rode it it started ticking even louder and wouldnt idle. So, I will check the valves and go from there. Thanks for the links :)

Nick24
03-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda

Alright, thanks. Doesnt sound like anything to be to concerned about, just hadnt seen that before so I wasnt sure.

Nick24
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Alright, so, I adjusted the clearances to spec with the Hotcam. It starts up fine and idles fine, but still is making a really loud ticking noise. I've been reading more and watched a few videos and it sounds like the timing chaing and guides are most likely shot. The videos of worn timing chains made the same noise as mine. So, I will probably have to replace that. Anyone got a how to on replacing the timing chain??

Thanks, Nick.

dustin_j
03-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Start by checking the cam chain tensioner. You can remove the phillips head plug on the back. Then, use a small flat head screwdriver to turn the tensioner counter clockwise (this will loosen it). You should feel resistance as you turn it, and when you pull out the screwdriver it should spring back to provide tension. If this does not happen, your tensioner is bad. Otherwise, it is likely your cam chain has stretched if it's still stock. Replace with a CRF (I think) cam chain to get a "HD" chain.

Nick24
03-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
Start by checking the cam chain tensioner. You can remove the phillips head plug on the back. Then, use a small flat head screwdriver to turn the tensioner counter clockwise (this will loosen it). You should feel resistance as you turn it, and when you pull out the screwdriver it should spring back to provide tension. If this does not happen, your tensioner is bad. Otherwise, it is likely your cam chain has stretched if it's still stock. Replace with a CRF (I think) cam chain to get a "HD" chain.

Can I take the tensioner off and test it cuz I couldnt get that phillips screw out with the tensioner still on the quad...

Nick24
03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Also, do you think its a big deal to ride it until I get the new chain, prolly just get a new tesioner also.

CJM
03-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Guides can get eaten up, chain can fail, tensioner can fail. Buddy had it happen to him, tensioner failed b/c of bad chain and quad wouldnt run since it jumped timing.

Nick24
03-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Guides can get eaten up, chain can fail, tensioner can fail. Buddy had it happen to him, tensioner failed b/c of bad chain and quad wouldnt run since it jumped timing.

Yeah, I managed to check the tensioner and it is definitely bad, so I ordered one. I never rode it while it was making the noise soooo, hopefully just a new tensioner will solve the problem. It shouldnt take too long for it show up so I will just wait to ride at all until I get that. Really sucks having such nice weather and not be able to ride :grr:

Nick24
03-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, got my tensioner on and totally fixed it!! Glad I didnt have to tear the side of the motor apart :D

Steve89x
06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I know this is an old post but my engine just got really loud on sunday. After a good day of riding was on my way home and the ticking got extremely loud. It already ticked very loud because of the stage 2 hotcam but I could definately tell a difference. I met up with few ppl and turned the bike off to take a break and then it wouldnt start again. I assumed it has to be something wrong with the timing because the motor turns over just wont start. Could it be possible the tensioner is just bad in my case too? Im thinking I probably need to open up the engine and replace the chain and get the motor timed again and all that fun stuff but kinda just hoping it could be something simple haha. What do you guys think? It kinda sounds like what CJM said though how the chain could have stretched and jumped timing however though..I never replaced the cam chain when i rebuilt the motor about 4 years ago..

CJM
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Usually if the ticking gets worse the chain has slop in it. At the very least you need a new chain, as well as checking tensioner and guides.

Nick24
06-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah, definitely do the chain and guides alNg with the tensioner. I only replaced the tensioner at first, but the ticking came back after a few weeks. I replaced the guides and chain after that and haven't had a problem since then. Get a crf 450 chain also (hd chain).

Steve89x
06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
And the guides and tensioner?? Just get OEM? Or what did you guys replace them with?

CJM
06-12-2012, 06:27 PM
OEM, I dont trust anything else.

jman7290
06-12-2012, 06:39 PM
My cousin has been having trouble snapping timing chains in his and breaking tensioners because he runs the X6 cam with a 12.5:1 416 Bore. He put a Suzuki Z400 tensioner on his because it is a heavier duty tensioner and has not had a problem since. He said he did have to cut or grind a small clearance in the cylinder for it to work.