PDA

View Full Version : first quad

destroyer85golf
03-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey everyone im new to the site and i just got my first quad, a 1999 400 EX. It was in pieces when i got it and i started puting it back together and noticed that i am missing a few parts any suggestions on where you guys get parts from. I need a piston full exhaust and rear rotor. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Stickman400
03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Wiseco piston in whatever compression ratio you want from ebay, they are like $130 for a piston kit. Get a full exhaust if you want, any kind will give you a significant increase in power, but they can be pricey. Most will recomend a motoworks and a stock header. Then get a streamline wave rotor, helps with cooling and brake performance and aren't that much more expensive over stock. Motosport.com has all of these parts, and they are really good prices and fast shipping. Welcome to the site!

03-10-2012, 06:16 PM
a good place to start would be the classifieds section here. i have a stock exhaust i would get rid of but chances are you can find something way better in the cfieds sec. welcome and congrats on the bike.brave soul going in with a box of parts but you will be fine.any questions do a search first if u dont find it just ask. a service manual will pay for itself in the long run.good luck

hybridracer686
03-10-2012, 06:16 PM
i rebuilt mine from a basket case back to life using ebay and motosport shop around and you will find good deals on the net. alot of good used parts can be found on ebay but pay attention to what you purchase if it looks like sh@# dont buy. I make it a point to buy parts from newer bikes as 400ex parts are pretty much all the same other than plastics. good luck!:cool:

destroyer85golf
03-10-2012, 06:28 PM
thanks for the advice, it was a wiesco piston that was burnt up. but i dont know the previous riders habits. i am just looking for parts to get it going now not to worried about upgraded exhausts for now shoot me a price pax id need the full exhaust though. im pretty mechanically inclined im a plumber by trade but i have rebuilt a few motors before. this really is a great thread im going to have before bed reading for a long time now !

HondaRacing83
03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the site! Don't go with Namura piston. JE or WISECO. Dont bother buying an aftermarket full. Get a stock header, grind the welds(any questions look in the sticky and theres a how to on it) and like stickman said, a Motoworks slip on. Great setup. I'm running a stock header and Motoworks slip on on my quad right now and it is an amazing setup. A uni filter would work great to, always go foam filter. Dont get like a K&N or paper based one. I don't know much about rotors, so I'm just gonna agree with Stickman.

finsteratv
03-10-2012, 10:22 PM
If you need i have an air filter and full stock exhaust along with a K&N powerlid

JOHNDOE83
03-11-2012, 06:34 AM
EBAY is king:blah: