PDA

View Full Version : Hard Starting KX250??

trailrider894
03-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Just having more problems with my '01 KX250... I think its the jetting... So, i pulled it and its running a 158 main and a stock pilot jet. 40:1 Klotz R-50. I typically get the bike to TDC, then give it a few blips of throttle, then kick and it starts on the second time of doing that, but nothing lately. Its got fresh fuel too... Any Ideas???

01boneless
03-10-2012, 12:40 PM
i imagine you cleaned the carb? have u tried useing the choke? clean the gas tank line and petcock.

Tommy Warren
03-10-2012, 12:53 PM
good spark? hows the plug look?

Tommy Warren
03-10-2012, 12:53 PM
good spark? hows the plug look?

trailrider894
03-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Gonna try cleaning everything out then i'll try to have my buddy start it, I'm out with a bad foot for the moment, just had surgery yesterday.

buck440
03-10-2012, 02:48 PM
sounds like a plug to me. i would turn the fuel off, pull the plug out, kick it over a bunch of times fast to air the cylinder out a little to make sure it's not flooded, put NEW plug in, turn fuel on and ride on.

any time i flooded it the plug would never ever work again no matter how new and clean it was. i would also push pull push all the electrical connection just to be sure.

03-10-2012, 03:44 PM
how old is the top end? on two cycle i usually do rings every 6 months piston every year whether they need it or not. does it have spark?new plug and still no spark?with a tester check coil,cdi,if its none of that more than likely its the stator,assuming you have checked all the wires/connections/wiring harnesses and it is getting fuel.there are just only so many things it could be.

i just sold a cr250 that ran great i parked it for a few months then sold it cuz i have enough ways to kill myself.the guy calls the next day saying it wouldn't run no spark.i think he's jerkin my chain mayb tryin to get some cash back or something.i stayed in touch and he eventually traced it back to the stator.i offered to buy it for him cuz i felt bad and don't like to do things that way.he said no its cool that's what happens when you buy as is.the point is it just goes to show you how things can just arise from nowhere like that.good luck

trailrider894
03-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by PAxcThumper
how old is the top end? on two cycle i usually do rings every 6 months piston every year whether they need it or not. does it have spark?new plug and still no spark?with a tester check coil,cdi,if its none of that more than likely its the stator,assuming you have checked all the wires/connections/wiring harnesses and it is getting fuel.there are just only so many things it could be.

i just sold a cr250 that ran great i parked it for a few months then sold it cuz i have enough ways to kill myself.the guy calls the next day saying it wouldn't run no spark.i think he's jerkin my chain mayb tryin to get some cash back or something.i stayed in touch and he eventually traced it back to the stator.i offered to buy it for him cuz i felt bad and don't like to do things that way.he said no its cool that's what happens when you buy as is.the point is it just goes to show you how things can just arise from nowhere like that.good luck

Fresh Top-End and has a strong spark!!! I think its the carb, i'm gonna take it off completely and get a re-build kit for it. At this point, I just need to get it running so I can sell it. Just bought an LTR and want the cash to fix it up some more.

chucked
03-12-2012, 04:45 AM
Do a compression test

trailrider894
03-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Everything is good now, rebuilt the carb, and set the float... Started second kick!! thanks for the help guys!!!