PDA

View Full Version : Nerf/Heelguard toss up here

HondaRacing83
03-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey guys, i got rid of my DG nerfs. They were just standard fat series with no heelguards or anything. I had intentions on buying Tusk/Alba nerfs with built in heelgaurds and fat pegs. I wanna race xc next year, I ride trails hard, and I jump a lot. My toss up is I was wondering if I could get away with just running like tusk heel guards? I see all kinds of xc guys only running heel guards. Why is that? Because they bang nerfs off trees? I'm wonderin if I should run nerfs for the jumping factor. I wear like size 13 boot if that matters.

buck440
03-10-2012, 02:56 PM
i couldn't imagine riding woods without nerf bars. they help keep sticks and crap from impailing you and help you slide on trees and keep the rear tire from getting cought on a tree.

i do not see any pros to not using nerf bars for the woods.

Balaz_73*00
03-10-2012, 03:01 PM
The logic in not using nerfs is so you can put your feet down flinetone style to back yourself up in a jam. With that said, id still only ride with nerfs

Drfat400ex
03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I think it would be almost quicker to just jump off real quick and push it backwards then do it Freddy style, with that said you could also get a newer model if it's going to be such a big deal. :blah: I banged my nerf off a tree doing a powerslide through a tight trail, it was the 2nd day I had my 400ex though so I wasn't used to how it handled and my nerfs stick out an inch farther than my wheels. Getting nerfs that don't stick out would be the best logic I would think, myn have saved me serveral times, and my buddy learned the hard way that nerf bars help alot, he had some sore feet after that day. :devil:

HondaRacing83
03-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
The logic in not using nerfs is so you can put your feet down flinetone style to back yourself up in a jam. With that said, id still only ride with nerfs Thats it? lol thats stupid i have reverse. screw it ill spend the extra $100 to get nerfs with fatpegs with built in heelguards over just the heelguard setup. thanks guys.
buck, i guess your right. i was just looking at some members xc quads on here and noticed that.
canadian- hahaha i remember doing that once with my raptor.

finsteratv
03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Tusk ones are actually decent. My dad being a "stock is the way to rock" guy bought some for my brother and liked them so much he bought another pair for my mom haha

HondaRacing83
03-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Tusk-Rock-Alba-G Force=All same

finsteratv
03-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Tusk-Rock-Alba-G Force=All same all worth the money too.

CJM
03-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Watch out for some of the alba/tusk/rock nerfs. Only the tusk ones connect to the front motor mounts, the other two connect using a tube up front and it can come apart.

I aint killed my tusk nerfs yet and its been 2 years now.

HondaRacing83
03-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I want black ones and I cant ffind black tusk ones for the price of the regular ones so i was gonna buy alba ones because they are the same price.

Ruby Soho
03-11-2012, 08:41 AM
i had good old classic AC's with no heel guards, tough as hell.

i do like the idea of heel guards though.

buck440
03-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
i had good old classic AC's with no heel guards, tough as hell.

x2 i love ac products

HondaRacing83
03-11-2012, 09:55 AM
I had Dgs with no heelguards. I'd love a set of Ac ones with heelguards but holy $$$$$$$. I don't have any experience with any AC products. I'm thinking of selling my Dg and getting an AC front bumper though. Always like the look of it simple and clean. When I bought my quad it came with a lot of Dg stuff and I've gotten rid of it all but this big *** bumper. The nerfs were good quality though, I will say that

Kovatch
03-14-2012, 04:11 PM
I used to run AC nerfs without heel guards on my Suzuki and it was fine. Fitment was ok and I never had any issues. I currently have GYTR w/o heel guards on the YFZR and they are good as well. I was the biggest, "don't need heel guards." In fact I never used them, EVER. I rant into a good deal on Raths and my good buddy convinced me to buy the 44 series. Ordered them up and I am awaiting their arrival.

Wish I had them on Saturday as I landed a jump wrong and ruptured my Achilles. Oh well.

I would recommend getting heel guards. You can always cut part of your nets to get your feet under the quad if you need.

dxcody
03-14-2012, 04:40 PM
McGill, Fowler, Kiser, Bithell all ran Nerfs last year. Its personal perferance really.

I love nerf bars. I am running stocker heel guards right now and im OK with it, but nerfs are in the picture.

I will run Heel Guard with no nerfs, BUT i WILL NOT run nerfs without heelguards.

My foot slipped one time when it was muddy and my leg got sucked under the rear tire and my shin slammed into the footpeg.
NOT FUN!