PDA

View Full Version : Decibel level of stock EX

Guy400
03-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Anyone happen to know the decibel level of a stock EX? I'm trying to draw a reference point as to what I can expect with a new pipe. I'm talking with Kevin from HMF about a pipe with a quiet core insert. They've got two inserts, one a 95db insert and the other is a 92db. So if someone can tell me what their stock EX was rated at I'd appreciate it.

Doibugu2
03-03-2003, 08:02 PM
I believe it's 88 if I'm not mistaken.

Let me know how you like the power with the quiet core insert. I don't think my quad is loud now, but some of those exhaust are just way to loud.

hawiianpwr
03-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Yeah I think your right its 88db

wheeltrax
03-03-2003, 08:09 PM
i think its 88 or so also. The stock raptor is 92, and i know the 400ex is a bit quieter.. so i think that 88 is a good bet.

Guy400
03-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I believe it's 88 if I'm not mistaken.

Let me know how you like the power with the quiet core insert. I don't think my quad is loud now, but some of those exhaust are just way to loud. Thanks for the info! Kevin stated that the 92db insert retains 80% of the power gains over the bare slip-on and the 95db makes 95%. I'm waiting to hear back from Kevin as to what the bare HMF slip-on decibel rating is so I know exactly which way I'm going to go. He also said spark arrestors are free upon request.

remlapr
03-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Yeah - post back and let us know what he says the bare db is. I also agree the stock db is 88 - I believe it was in a pipe shootout in one of the big magazines.

tants
03-03-2003, 09:25 PM
its deff under 90db's. they sure are pretty quite :eek2:

JOEX
03-03-2003, 09:35 PM
http://www.oohva.org/pages/sound.html
Near the bottom there are links to actual readings taken from various atvs during testing. There can be some variances mainly due to age of the packing.

Joe

Guy400
03-04-2003, 11:13 PM
Just heard back from HMF. A bare slip-on produces 98db's.

Porkchop
03-04-2003, 11:25 PM
spark aresstors are free now!? i thought they costed 20 bucks last time I checked. I'll have to e-mail Kevin then about that and one of those inserts

Guy- you'll love the HMF, are you gonna get it pc'd?

Guy400
03-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Porkchop
spark aresstors are free now!? i thought they costed 20 bucks last time I checked. I'll have to e-mail Kevin then about that and one of those inserts

Guy- you'll love the HMF, are you gonna get it pc'd? Kevin told me in an email that the spark arrestors are free when I buy a slip-on and a quiet core insert. My cousin has a bare HMF slip-on on his EX and the low-mid power was night and day. I don't know if I'm getting a PC'd one or not. My only decision I have to make now is what quiet core I want-the 92db or the 95db.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Wow spark arrestors are free now :eek2: Yeah they were$20 extra.. I do know that if you ride in a National forest and the pipe is not USFA stamped then it does not matter if you have a spark arrestor in there or not and the HMF pipes are not stamped.. I know that does not happen ever where I hear that if they stick the stick in there and feel, you pass inspection. Not where we are :rolleyes:

Guy400
03-05-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
Wow spark arrestors are free now :eek2: Yeah they were$20 extra.. I do know that if you ride in a National forest and the pipe is not USFA stamped then it does not matter if you have a spark arrestor in there or not and the HMF pipes are not stamped.. I know that does not happen ever where I hear that if they stick the stick in there and feel, you pass inspection. Not where we are :rolleyes: LMAO:D Half the time around here the park rangers don't even inspect the quads. They did one time and my cousin and I just went to a hardware store in whatever small town we were in and bought some window screen and zip-tied it over the end of the pipe. The ranger said it was now OK and as soon as we got in we obviously took it off.