PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki geometry why the hype?

hontrx265r
03-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I haven't researched this a ton, but to someone who actually understands suspension and steering what is the benefit of the suzuki front end.
"it turns better" is not good enough for me. what does it do? to the honda we'll say to keep it easy.

Change shock leverage ratio?
Change caster?
Change steering ackerman?
etc.. real answers please

maxamillion
03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
lw20rider (who apparently works at lonestar), posted this in the yfz section...

"well besides looking cooler and being stronger they help with a few things. they help the caster gain throughout the travel, they move the roll center higher so the front end has less tendency to roll in a corner. They make the bike feel like it has less bumpsteer. Typically you can run softer shocks, and not have as much body roll, and less feedback into the handle bars when going through a rough corner. Less rider fatigue, so they can go faster and longer. we will eventually be offering the stem flag and a-arm setup to run with these spindles."

once again these are not my words, its a quote from 'lw20 rider'

hontrx265r
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Max your thinking of lsr's new spindle which I've seen and talked to them about and wondered about the stem flag because that would go hand in hand with the spindles but I don't believe they offer them yet. Thing is each bike has a different center of gravity which affects the outcome of changing the roll center. This is where just mixing certain aspects of different bikes may not be equally beneficial... Just something to chew on.

maxamillion
03-09-2012, 05:11 PM
good point, ic where you're coming from. its interesting that so many ppl are starting to use this set up yet no one has came to the table with some real info.

hontrx265r
03-09-2012, 05:20 PM
The thing is there are so many important things that change the geometry of a suspension system its doesn't seem fair to say a control, we'll call it the ltr flag design and spindle. Placed on call it three different variables, honda, yam, canam that have completely different chassis, are all going to have the same benefit, weather it even be "better" in all cases... Then again history has shown that its mind over matter, and if you believe it is...haha

protraxrptr17
03-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm not a guru on all the geometry tech. I'm more of a "build it because I think it will work and try it kind of guy". I went out and got a LTR with all the walsh stuff on it and never liked it. Traded it to one of my buddies who has always been fast on Yamahas, and he got slower on it as well. I can't explain really why we dont like it. It wont hold a line like my old bike. Steering effort seems high. Just never felt confident on it. But it probably comes down to just that, if you are confident in something, it usually works better. I usually get some laughs when I tell what my bike is based on, but it works for me.

FHKracingZ
03-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
I'm not a guru on all the geometry tech. I'm more of a "build it because I think it will work and try it kind of guy". I went out and got a LTR with all the walsh stuff on it and never liked it. Traded it to one of my buddies who has always been fast on Yamahas, and he got slower on it as well. I can't explain really why we dont like it. It wont hold a line like my old bike. Steering effort seems high. Just never felt confident on it. But it probably comes down to just that, if you are confident in something, it usually works better. I usually get some laughs when I tell what my bike is based on, but it works for me.
I agree to a point but I can thought my suzuki held a line better than any bike has I have ever rode. Suzukis stay planted very well and have minimal body roll. I do agree some peoples riding style just fit different bikes.

KingpinsEx
03-15-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't think that anyone said that LTR geometry would be the best setup on all quads. However, I know different companies are developing a kit for the Hondas. Baldwin has said he is trying to get his hondas to handle like a suzuki.

madskrillz2
03-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I really don't know what it is but Suzuki's just feel so planted and solid to me. Obviously I'm biased since I've ridden one since they came out but I was comfortable on it from the get go. Different strokes for different folks I guess. A friend of mine swears by Yamaha's and you couldn't give me one of those.........Ok well you could but I would turn around and sell it lol.

Pacheco_450r
03-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Personally I think that If you already have the wide setup on your Honda you probably won't gain much if anything from the ltr setup. If there is an advantage it might be slight and is probably only noticeable to the top guys who's lap times hardly change between the 2nd lap and last lap. JMO

KingpinsEx
03-18-2012, 06:42 AM
You are correct. I do not see switching the front end geometry from a honda to suzuki is going to be a huge difference. The average rider would not benefit greatly from this.