PDA

View Full Version : Eton 50/70

bbcmudtruck
03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I got a few questions for you Eton Gurus. I just acquired an Eton 50 that has the 70cc topend, oko carb and clutch work of some sort done to it. It also has a pipe and various other bolt on goodies. This thing flat out rips and runs alot harder than I thought a little mini would. Anyway, my first question is how can I get the bog to go away? When you jab the throttle from a dead stop, the bike will stall to the point where it would die if you held it wide open. However, if you just roll into the throttle, it takes off and runs like a streak of ****! Any advice on that would be great. Next item is what sort of throttle cable and thumb throttle do I need? It has a twist throttle on it now and I want to do away with that immediately. It has an oko carb on it, but I'm not sure what size it is. Is there a specific thumb throttle and cable that I need? Also, any other upgrades, tips or tricks you might have would be greatly appreciated!

bloodswet&gears
03-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Sounds like your carb may be to big or need some jet changes. A bigger carb gets you better mid to top end and a smaller one gets you better low to mid range.

Another thing to try is a lighter weight roller or heavier clutch shoe springs.

Its gonna be hard to tell what you need untill you take it apart and see what you have. may have to weigh the rollers on a scale. what brand variator. what belt. what torque spring ,what clutch springs, what brand and size carb, what jets, intake, pipe.

bloodswet&gears
03-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Thumb throttle people like to use is a trx90 I think. Motion pro cable.
Research and make sure.

bbcmudtruck
03-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Ok thanks for the help! I will tear into the clutch and tell you exactly what you need to know to help me out. With that said, what is it exactly that you do need to know!

bloodswet&gears
03-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I would start with the clutch, but what size carb and what brand?

What do the rollers weigh? You might need between 3.5gram to 4.5gram rollers that are smooth not rough. Thats the easiest to check. You have to have a scale if its not written on the side of them.

Clutch springs are what color? The 3 that are holding the shoes down. And do they look old or new. Also what is the torque spring color and shape and is there any writting on it. I put some cheap red springs in one of or etons and it came in about 6000rpms.

May be better if you can post pics and show us. Need a tach also if your gonna try to tune the clutch. These numbers will get you close but the pipe will determine what the clutching will end up being.

If it doesnt look new and they have been racing it you may want to start fresh with around 4gram rollers, 1500 torque spring and red or 1000- 1500 shoe springs.

bbcmudtruck
04-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Sorry I've been busy with work lately and haven't been able to tear into it. I will tear it apart and post up some pictures of everthing. One more thing, I put a new starter on it as well as a new starter reduction gear and a new battery. With that said, the starter doesn't have enough power to roll the motor over. It acts like the clutches are sticking or something? I'm not sure. Any ideas where to start with that issue?

bbcmudtruck
06-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Ok I finally had a chance to pull the clutch apart today. It has blue shoe springs in it and two of them were busted. The torque spring is just a steele color, it looks factory to me? As far as the rollers go, they are in pretty good shape. They have very minor flat spots on them. I do not have a way to weigh them either. Where is a good place to buy the clutch componets at? Thanks!

bbcmudtruck
06-17-2012, 05:07 AM
What happend to the eton gurus?! I ended up contacting lakesmotorsports and they helped me out tremendously. I ordered up some 6 gram weights along with a 2000 rpm shoe springs and 1000 rpm torque spring. I also replaced the reeds with boysen dual stage pedals. I got the little eton dialed in pretty good now. I ended up using 3 4 gram rollers along with 3 6 gram rollers and it hits hard now! Now I need to get a pipe. The pipe that came on it looks to be a cobled up homeade creation. Although it does in fact work pretty darn good, I would like to put a pipe thats actually made for performance and made specifically for the eton. Whats the best pipe to buy and where?