PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Shock Length

nastynotchback1
03-09-2012, 09:48 AM
So i got this K-Fab mod and i know it does not have the proper rear shock.The front end is built just like an apex and runs 13.5 in shocks but the rear has a 12.5 in rear shock and it's a crappy fox air shock to boot.How do i figure out what length shock needs to be on the rear besides sending the bike to a shock builder and letting them figure it out?I need to get the proper shocks on the bike so my son can get some ride and practice time in on the bike without getting beat to crap.Thanks

miniquaddad90
03-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Here's how I do it:

Build a box to set the quad on to where the rear tires are just touching the floor. (usually about 10-12" tall box)

Put quad on the stand, remove rear shock, measure the distance of where the shock would be. This will give you an extended length.

With the rear shock still out, remove the front shocks.

Build another box for the quad, this time, just use QTY 2, 2'X"4's stacked, giving you a box that sits 3" off the floor.

Put quad on the 3" tall stand with all shocks removed, measure rear shock distance. This will give you a compressed length

Hope it helps, Im no engineer, but it will get you close

desratt
03-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Works shocks has a real good write up on their website complete with drawings on this. Pretty easy to do.