PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise, bearing sound?

capecod400ex
03-09-2012, 05:24 AM
I have this noise on my 04 450r i just picked it up 2 weeks ago very low hour unit. I can almost describe it as a humming/loud bearing sound like when a water pumps about to go in a car. Its not a tick like valve noise. Its the loudest between 1/4-1/2 throttle. Things a beast other wise no smoke hard starting ect. first kick when cold with the choke on first kick when warmed up if you use the hot start. Any ideas?

capecod400ex
03-09-2012, 09:00 AM
no one? is this just how these sound I've only owned 400exs my hole life. I ride with a CRF450 and it does not sound like this.

dyno
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Ballancer shaft bearings!

capecod400ex
03-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Is there a write up on this somewhere ?

DnB_racing
03-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by capecod400ex
I have this noise on my 04 450r i just picked it up 2 weeks ago very low hour unit. I can almost describe it as a humming/loud bearing sound like when a water pumps about to go in a car. Its not a tick like valve noise. Its the loudest between 1/4-1/2 throttle. Things a beast other wise no smoke hard starting ect. first kick when cold with the choke on first kick when warmed up if you use the hot start. Any ideas? there is a difference in the engine noise between the trx and crf, im not sure why???

its hard to judge what yours is doing without hearing it

pull the oil filter and drain your coolant and check for any sign of metal specs, and remove the air filter and listen if the noise changes at all

over the years Ive been adding some real good diagnosing tools, and now i couldn't do without them

the things I use and have made my life soooo much easier are ,leak down tester, compression tester, stethoscope, fluke multi meter, dial indicator and degree wheel,

and my newest and by far the coolest and best addition is

FLIR camera to track the thermal imaging of the bearings and temp of each individual part, to compare the pics of full temperature differences in time, with this I can accurately find any part that is producing any unusual friction, and thus finding the problem before any catastrophic damage is done..

but anyways enough about me acting like a kid with a new bicycle..

a good stethoscope might tell you were the noise is originating and help you find your issue, (if there is one), it might be just the typical 450r noises, but like I wrote its hard to tell without hearing it

capecod400ex
03-10-2012, 03:52 PM
i can try to get a video of it I dont think it will be audible on video tho with out a really good mic

capecod400ex
03-14-2012, 04:58 PM
video came out good, Hows that sound??

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gnnLPlVvuLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

capecod400ex
03-15-2012, 06:59 PM
This sounds normal? no one I know around here has a 450 so...

Rich250RRacer
03-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Kinda hard to hear anything abnormal there. Judging from the looks of it, there shouldn't be too much wrong with it. How did you find one so clean? If you weren't so far away, I'd be bugging the hell out of you to take that thing off your hands.

capecod400ex
03-15-2012, 07:28 PM
guy in the coast guard barely rode it, hes a helicopter mechanic (so he took care of it) and he's getting stationed in alaska so he didnt want to move with it I picked it up with a helmet chest protector 5 quarts of oil 3 filters service manual all stock beside a slip on pipe.

$2500 bucks lol

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/bryrylan/Brewster-20120223-00080.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/bryrylan/Brewster-20120223-00081.jpg

DnB_racing
03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by capecod400ex
This sounds normal? no one I know around here has a 450 so... hard to tell but it doesnt sound bad,

just to be sure you might want to make sure the cam chain tensioner is working properly, if its too tight there is usually a slight noise

but from your recording it sounds fine, just bottled up from stock pipe and filter and cam,

once you get used to it, look into those minor dependable upgrades, it will really wake it up