PDA

View Full Version : chain tensioner ?

gmmracing
03-08-2012, 01:38 PM
i just put an xfr rear skid plate on my sons drr 50 and the tensioner is mounted closer to the front of the swing arm (on skid plate) curious if that will cause any issues with anything? now the chain is very close to the bottom of the swing arm. maybe 1/16 of a gap. it is the stock tensioner and swingarm. also curious if i should swap tensioner with an aftermarket one. if so why are they so much better?

selbygirl
03-08-2012, 02:39 PM
get a ztr tensioner . i think hot quads carry rhem

gmmracing
03-09-2012, 03:54 PM
thx for the info why are they so much better? because they are adjustable? or do they just hold up longer? thx for the help this is all new to me

selbygirl
03-09-2012, 06:30 PM
you can mke them fit just abought eny thing . and the roller has sides to help keep the chain on , on mine i did have to modifi the bolt on the roller was to long it was rubing the swing arm just cut mine with a grinder, but its a nice set up , take care tommy

desratt
03-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Use the stock one when using the skid plate. The chain will end up hitting the swinger but that is common. Use the ztr when not using a skid plate.

selbygirl
03-10-2012, 07:19 AM
i seen guys put the tensioner on the the very top of chain pushing down on chain. plus if it does hit your swinger get one of those hard plastic split tubes and put on swinger , there like 20 bucks . i thout that was a lot for a piece of plastic ,but marc from hot quads talked me into buying one , they realy work and last for ever. but we dont use skid plates on our bikes , and some of these chain tensioner can be like a puzzle. you may be able to make your own by using your old stuff use a skate board wheel . back in my younger days i made one for my harly . with a skate board wheel ,,doing wheelies all tme was stretching my chain . but back then i had a lot of time and no kids. take care tommy

gmmracing
03-10-2012, 10:09 AM
thx for the help ill try the stock one and see what happens. ive seen some posts about people not running skid plates because of hang ups and ground clearance but id like to protect the chain and brake disc. hopefully he wont have any issues there. the rear caliper on the drr is mounted on the back and looks like its gonna take a beating or a pinched line if he gets bumped. so thinking ill built a plate to cover that. or shimming disc out and moving caliper forward. anybody have any problems with them?

desratt
03-10-2012, 03:06 PM
run the skid in everything but mx. or sand dunes.

don't worry about the calliper or brake line. for a bout 2 years while teaching my son I hit it with my front tire tons of times to give him pushes.

gmmracing
03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
well i ended up cutting old tensioner apart modifying it and mounting on the top of the chain looks like it will work. doesnt rub at all now. hopefully its lasts! u guys know if the rear axle on these quads sit to the left side? or wondering if mine was assembled wrong or on a friday.....lol

Longdong
03-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by gmmracing
thx for the help ill try the stock one and see what happens. ive seen some posts about people not running skid plates because of hang ups and ground clearance but id like to protect the chain and brake disc. hopefully he wont have any issues there. the rear caliper on the drr is mounted on the back and looks like its gonna take a beating or a pinched line if he gets bumped. so thinking ill built a plate to cover that. or shimming disc out and moving caliper forward. anybody have any problems with them?

Check this out! Protects the banjo. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=450614&highlight=brake+protector

gmmracing
03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
wow thats a good idea way better than what i was thinking thanks. im struggling with chain tensioner do u even have one on that quad? thanks for any info this is my first drr and have a lot to learn

Longdong
03-16-2012, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gmmracing
wow thats a good idea way better than what i was thinking thanks. im struggling with chain tensioner do u even have one on that quad? thanks for any info this is my first drr and have a lot to learn [/

No tensioner! Chain has come off one time I in a 100 hours (I check his hour meter). I just keep a tight chain. Mybe just lucky but I have had good luck.

selbygirl
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
be carefull running to tight of a chain . you could bust your tranny gears or crack your engine case , if your making big jumps or running threw the woop section . somthing has to give if its not the chain then the gears, and if you push down on the rear grab bar is the chain hitting the frame if it is every time you land the chain will start cutting into the frame like a saw

gmmracing
03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
if i can figure out how to get a pic of the tensioner i modified on here maybe u can tell me ur thoughts on it

selbygirl
03-17-2012, 05:41 AM
look under drr ztr i bumped up an old post for you with pics

gmmracing
03-17-2012, 10:28 AM
thx i just checked out that set up but ive got the skid plate looks like it would be tight. worth a shot though

selbygirl
03-17-2012, 01:28 PM
skid plate wonder if you cut a hole in it to give the tensioner room to go up and down , then put a tub under it , take a pipe split in half to make tub. and weld it under plate , like a wheel well in a truck or a dragster but up side down