PDA

View Full Version : stock rebuild shocks on practice mx bike

55stone
03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey guys thinking of building another 450r(4th one) as a practice mx bike... I would like to build it but tight budget and other bikes and stuff. Anyways wondering if any of you guys are running stock rebuilds on a practice bike. Wondering how well they actually work and how well the bike works for practice. I know it won't be like a full LT set up but still wondering... If u get the stockers set up well I would assume they would work fine on a 50 inch ST quad for practice. Just wondering opinions... Or wondering if it's to far off from the race Bikes to actually be good practice??? That's my main question I guess.. Lol never ran ST rebuilds so don't know how they feel

quad71
03-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Contact gt thunder they claim 10 1/2 inches of travel front and back. Cost for all 3 shocks with high flow pistons and rear link about 1,300. If your not happy they will work with you.

HoleshotR15
03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
I had derisi revalves/ houser +2's on my 05 honda,when I got my 08 i had a fox/atv4play front end. I will never ever ever ever run STD travel again. Save up and go LT!

quad71
03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Gt thunder stock rebuilds have taken top spot on the podium at gncc xc1 class. 10 1/2 inches is not st. whats long travel 11? you cant go much more then that with mx tires the frame will touch the ground on landings. he said its just for his practice quad.

55stone
03-08-2012, 03:30 PM
1300 is a ton of money for 3 stock rebuilds.. Totally not worth that price..u can get a good Lt set up for about that much used and then have them set up for u and not have much more money in them.... If I do stock rebuilds I will do them myself probably.. Go with new pistons,springs and revalve them..

quad71
03-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Ok I was just answering your question. the high flow piston is what bumps the price up 175.00 a shock. If you do them your self you forgot cut and resize the bodys on the fronts and make a new link for the rear. Gt thunder has proven that there stock rebuilds can beat borich and his fox shocks. you wanted to know how well they work well they work that good. So 1,300 may be alot but now you know how much the #1 stock rebuilds cost and perform you can work down from there.

xcracer416
03-08-2012, 06:38 PM
talk to any shock builder other than GT Thunder about highflow pistons on a trx450r stock shock and they will all tell you its padding laz's pocket and not gaining you much more performance of the shock. I have ridden both and can tell you straight up its never going to be installed on any shock i own again.

I will tell you about gt thunder, they got the ball rolling back in the day with stock rebuilds being competitive. for the last few years he has been out performed in my opinion by other builders. gregs atv actually set the bar on stock rebuilds in xc1 with brian wolf two years ago. since laz sponsered wolf last year with a quad his reliablilty sucked.

I run stock rebuilds on both quads practice and race, dont see the need for anything else, im not bottoming all the time, they are very comfortable on my quads.

Mx might be different with st and lt over xc though. seat time is the main thing though. if it beats you up to where you are fast on it and then like gravy on the other will only benifit you.

thats my two cents

edit: i have gt thunder rebuilds front and rear now, but not for long

quad71
03-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Jet has some trick set up's 2. Yes they are all i need as well i am and old mxer turned xc racer this was from jan 2012 it was a xc track and full mx track combined i am 40 and finished 29 seconds behind, the race was 1.5 hours those guys are in there 20s. jpg

xcracer416
03-08-2012, 07:31 PM
yeah jet has some good setups, as well as deriesi. look at the pricing of the complete revalve conversion at all the shock builders. you can see gt thunder dosent do something the others do. i have an idea of what goes on but cant publicly say without busting them out.

congrats on the third, age is only a number