PDA

View Full Version : AlloyBoltz kits on ebay?

DVS_Freestyler
03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Anyone ever bought those complete bolt kits on ebay? Im restoring my 87 LT and the kit is $124.00, but it seems to have almost every nut and bolt i need. Just curious if anyone has ever bought one of those kits and what you thought of them. Is the stainless steel as strong as the stock bolts? gracias!

fx4pitrone
03-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I bought one for my lt250r.... I would not recommend it.... I anti-seized every bolt (like they said)... and many of them galled and snapped the next time I took it apart. The bolts for the motor (stailnless into aluminum) seemed to do fine... but the others had many issues....

I would look into having your OE bolts re zinc-plated... i just did that w/ mine and they came out awesome! No issues....

"Superman" (I think) had a post about this a little while back....

wilkin250r
03-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Derek, stay away from any of those goofy bolt kits. Stainless steel is softer than normal bolts, which is bad for two reasons. First, they stretch, which means you have to constantly re-tighten them, it's really bad for engine components because they don't hold proper torque, and they'll work themselves loose.

Second, because they're softer, the surfaces of the threads will come apart as they rub, forming little balls and bind everything up. It's called galling, and the end result is the bolts get seized. And they're still loose, but now you can't retighten them because they're seized.

Stainless steel is junk, it should only be used if you absolutely NEED corrosion resistance, like a boat. Otherwise, stick with normal bolts, Class 8.8 is good for general use, Class 10.9 is a high-strength for motor mounts and other high-stess areas.

sangheraent
03-06-2012, 09:21 PM
I have been running an alloy bolt kit for almost 2 years not a single issue yet. However all my engine bolts and my motor mounts are stock bolts.

I didn't put anti sieze on anything and then took my whole bike apart a year later after some serious riding and still no problems. I put it on there now.

DVS_Freestyler
03-06-2012, 10:32 PM
yeah you got me nervous about the kit I think i'll pass. I'll search for the thread about recoating stock bolts. thanks guys!