PDA

View Full Version : 450r carb jettingon Modded 400

400exBRAAP
03-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Ok, im sure i'll get yelled at or suttin but i havent found ppl with mods like mine. im getting a 450r carb for my 400 and i'd ke to have a decent idea what to go with for jettin. as in pilot, main, and air fuel screw. my wheeler has
K&N filter and open box
10:1 piston
Stage 2 HotCam
Ported Head
HMF header fit with a 450r Nmotion muffler

On my stock carb i have a 40 pilot, 168 main, never have touched the air screw and it runs like a champ right now. i'm hopin to get a pretty good basis to start with as its a pain doing trial and error involving putting bike all togther, then rippin it apart and driving 12 miles to the deal, and having to do so about 3 times. Thanks fellas

CJM
03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Your gonna need jets from 160-175 in increments of 2 if possible, this way you cover all your bases.

You will also need a 50 and 52 pilot jet.

Fuel/air screw would be anywhere from 1.5 to 3 turns out depending on everything.

usually your jetting will be lower with the R carb by about 1-2 sizes.

400exBRAAP
03-06-2012, 06:55 PM
ok and whats this hassle i've heard about neding and adapter or somethin? i read somewhere you can get a boot at the hardware store instead. and instead of pluggin the hot start or whatever, could i just leave it on there with the cable, and tuck it away?

CJM
03-06-2012, 07:18 PM
You need to plug the hotstart with something. The right way is with RTV and the hotstart parts. Otherwise it will be too lean.

You either need an adapter or to buy some pvc and a plumbing adapter. I have the metal adapter and its worth every penny.

Zeb400EX
03-07-2012, 10:54 AM
I ran mine with the hot start cable in for a while. But then u run the risk of the cable being pulled and it will start cutting the motor out. I got the adapter from zrpilot on here and I agree its worth every penny. As far as jets I think I only went up a couple sizes. I running a 48 pilot and a 175 main. Make sure tho u get jets that have a k before the #. A jet that reads (k175) is not the same as one that reads (ab175). I think alot of people don't realize that and that's one of the reason there so many people getting confused on jetting. Hell even the Honda deal here didn't even know.

zrpilot
03-09-2012, 06:28 AM
I'd run the needle on the 4th notch down from the top.

And by far the most important thing is that dang hot start, don't take any short cuts here. use the stock honda parts and simply use RTV to fill the hole left by NOT having the cable in the cap that holds everything in.

zr