PDA

View Full Version : spare tire carrier

407EXr
03-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I know this might sound like a dumb idea but for the amount of tires I have punctured on the trails, its worth it to me, I dont race so the whole balance crap isnt important to me. I have had way to many riding days cut short due to flat tires that slime wont fix and even plugs couldnt. Has anyone ever seen or mounted a spare tire on thier 400 ex? Pics would be great.

CJM
03-06-2012, 06:20 PM
What kinda tires are you using when your getting all these punctures? 6 ply tires might be a good idea if you havent done so already.

You could mount the tire to the grab bar, bumper or maybe get a rack and mount it there. Not a whole lot of room to do it tho.

Scro
03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
They are expensive, but tireballs are well worth the money. If you don't want to drop that kind of cash ($500+), you can use the small barbie balls instead. I know it sounds dumb, but trust me, they are a reasonable replacement for tireballs. They don't last quite as long, but they are dirt cheap if you buy them in bulk.

This thread discusses them in more detail.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=425476

407EXr
03-06-2012, 06:37 PM
well I had the stockers on the front of the EX and cut a 3/4 in slice in the sidewall. I also have a 2011 Sportsman 550 X2 and I have cut the stock 6 ply tires numerous times. I have 6 ply mud lites on the EX on the back now and so far no problems but I have only rode on them 2 times. The rears dont usually go first anyway. Its always the fronts for me. I ride in the Rockies in northern Utah. I just want the extra security of a spare with me at all times. a spare tire is my extra gallon of gas for most of yall lol

407EXr
03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
As for the tire balls, Im not sure if I wanna spend that much for it.... its a really neat concept though.....

Reece616
03-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I would think the best way would be to strap it to the front bumper or to your back Haha

powerbomb400
03-07-2012, 07:33 AM
I took a air compressor and cut the plug off and put alligator clamps on the ends so we can hook it to our batteries. Carry a plug kit with some glue and you we be good to go. I carry my stuff in a backpack.

400man
03-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Reece616
I would think the best way would be to strap it to the front bumper or to your back Haha

EXACTLY what I was thinking! a front tire would fit perfect if you have the right side aftermarket front bumper, then just get a ratchet strap and lock er down. on the back, mayber you could get one of those "6 pack rack" rear grab bars and mount a rear tire on that somehow.

powerbomb400
03-07-2012, 08:07 AM
You would also need to carry tools. I'd go with plug kit. Less weight and not as bulky.

GTRider256
03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
In the Dakar Rally the patranelli's put a spare on the nerf bars.

Zakradu398
03-08-2012, 09:28 PM
so you taking a spare front or back? :D

TheAwesomehonda
03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
^^^ HAHA!!! good point!!

03-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
I took a air compressor and cut the plug off and put alligator clamps on the ends so we can hook it to our batteries. Carry a plug kit with some glue and you we be good to go. I carry my stuff in a backpack.

yea i grabbed the "slime" brand one from tractor supply and do the same thing except you're a little more sophisticated than me i just hold the bare wire on the batt.what a life saver that has been countless times. gotta have a plug kit with the glue.the most i had was 13 in one 2 inch sidewall slice on a pair of razr 2s.it only works on good 6 ply tires with a stiff sidewall tho.tried a 6 banger on a pair of razr ballances' what a joke,those tires went in the trash pile.way too soft/gummy.if i were sponsored by maxxis i don't even think i would run them,no reliability for my area however i tend to run my tires a little soft for max hookup so that could be to blame.

back on topic tho,you could run one of those six pack racks.they're kinda on the dorky side but guess if you're really out there a ways better to look dorky riding than be the cool guy sitting on the side of the trail for hours on end waiting for someone to come back with a truck to save u.they bolt on/off quick and painless and don't see y u couldn't have 2 fronts sitting on it.

407EXr
03-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I would most likely carry only the front because thats the tire I always destroy.... Ive thought about getting a hub and figuring out a way to mount it to my grab bar. That would be the cleanest look I think. I just havent seen it before and I didnt know if someone else had done it.