PDA

View Full Version : make a brand new light kill for under $70

DnB_racing
03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
for those who want a oem style kill light switch but dont want to pay 150 bucks to someone trying to make money off us...

all that needs to be done is,

first buy a new oem atc 250r switch, (still available) I got mine for 62 bucks from my local dealer

you need a old original trx250r switch ...I had one with a broken switch, but all the connectors were intact

for the feeds to the switch..
using a heavy embroidery needle slide the needle along side the pin in the connectors and relese the catch holding in the pin from the connector and pull out the pin ....

all the pins can be easily removed undamaged from the old connectors if done properly
( both the atc and the trx connectors use the same style pins and wire colors)install in the correct pin slot in the trx connector

for the light connector ...
you can cut the pins off the atc connector for the light connector wires
use 90 degree uninsulated stakeons with locking catch (available from Granger or electrical supply company, and install into the trx light plug connector
you will have to splice in a second green to split to both connectors (just like the oem one does)I use small uninsulated brass crimps very similar to oem ones but the ones I use arnt split like oem but solid tiny brass barrel crimps, I like them actually better then the split type crimps

it took me about 20 minutes to make mine and it looks EXACTLY like oem at less then half what some scalper would charge for a new oem

i will try to remember to get some batteries to get some pics so you can see for yourself, that its as good as oem... but WAY cheaper

jwags13
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Very good info!! Two days late though, story of my life. Any suggestions on what to use for a wire harness?

DnB_racing
03-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Ive been buying as many junk harnesses as i see, just for the connectors,

the pins in all the connectors can be removed most with just a large needle or embroidery pin, the cdi requires a little more patience, but are just pins with rubber waterproofing seal.. ive been able to acquire most of the crimp pins from my electrical supplier,

but im having trouble getting the connector housings... my supplier wont give me the info without committing to a large purchase, but im working on him!!!!

Ive located the proper type,size and color wires, the pins and waterproof seals and with any luck soon i will be able to get the connector housings and accurately produce a harness, but im not quite there yet.... but im not giving up on this....

I will eventally track down everthing needed to make a replacement , but everthing takes time

deathman53
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
there is a guy on the other R site, who said that his friend, mechanic who works for a GM dealer, found every connector used on 250r harness, part numbers for it and where to buy it. I don't remember the problem he had getting them, maybe the had to be bought in large bulk, he was gonna build new harnesses, but ddin't know if he could get the interest in it and those who will actually buy them once made.

mx91a
03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
This guy seems to have all the connectors for the jap bikes and our 250R:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SM-HM/sm-hm.html

esstrx250r
03-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
for those who want a oem style kill light switch but dont want to pay 150 bucks to someone trying to make money off us...

all that needs to be done is,

first buy a new oem atc 250r switch, (still available) I got mine for 62 bucks from my local dealer

you need a old original trx250r switch ...I had one with a broken switch, but all the connectors were intact

for the feeds to the switch..
using a heavy embroidery needle slide the needle along side the pin in the connectors and relese the catch holding in the pin from the connector and pull out the pin ....

all the pins can be easily removed undamaged from the old connectors if done properly
( both the atc and the trx connectors use the same style pins and wire colors)install in the correct pin slot in the trx connector

for the light connector ...
you can cut the pins off the atc connector for the light connector wires
use 90 degree uninsulated stakeons with locking catch (available from Granger or electrical supply company, and install into the trx light plug connector
you will have to splice in a second green to split to both connectors (just like the oem one does)I use small uninsulated brass crimps very similar to oem ones but the ones I use arnt split like oem but solid tiny brass barrel crimps, I like them actually better then the split type crimps

it took me about 20 minutes to make mine and it looks EXACTLY like oem at less then half what some scalper would charge for a new oem

i will try to remember to get some batteries to get some pics so you can see for yourself, that its as good as oem... but WAY cheaper

You should make some of these up and sell them.

DnB_racing
03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by esstrx250r
You should make some of these up and sell them. just putting the info out there to help others save money....Im not looking to make money from other riders, Im trying to help them save, by doing these easy things for themselves:)

here is a pic from my OLD camera sorry for bad quality. but you can see its a real good and easy retro fit

DnB_racing
08-31-2012, 06:38 PM
bringing this back up

Ive seen the switches are almost double what I payed about six months ago... if you want a chance to have a brand new switch you should get a couple now while they are still around,

once these are gone you wont have any options left for new oem switches except overpriced hoarders looking to make money from us fellow members....