PDA

View Full Version : APEX 90 clutch setup issues

chawness
03-05-2012, 07:44 AM
I've installed a new G Force Kombat Overange variator and a new MXR Slipper Clutch ( from G force also ). The variator fixed plate is non splined. For the slipper they bought a 107mm Koso Adjustable and the green springs (2,500 rpm). The torque spring is a TOP GUN 1,500 HOLESHOT silver.

Those are the parts now here's the issue.

When I start the quad it wont sit still at idle. On the stand it starts fine and the rear wheels spin slowly. If I gas it everything appears to work as it should (I've watched the clutch with the cover off).

If I shim the variator to where it idles and the bike will set still, then it wont move when I give it gas! Because the variator never closes! I believe this is due to the rear plate of the variator not being splined.

I have had several of these apart and never had this much trouble. On this one I've had it apart 20 times and tried everything, still no joy. What am I missing?

thequadfather+2
03-05-2012, 08:38 AM
did you shim the slipper clutch. Not everyone has to do it but several have had too, including both of mine. Also, if the nut holding the clutch/torque spring assembly on has not been ground down it may be slightly touching the inside of the slipper clutch.

Try these two things and see if the problem is fixed...I bet it does the trick.

Put the variator shim on the rear shaft after you put on the clutch. It goes between the clutch/torque spring assembly and the new slipper clutch assembly.

Lay the clutch down flat like you are going to change your torque spring and take a grinder to the nut, grind it down until its flat with the shaft/threads on your rear pulley drive. It doesnt take much.

What it does--gives you clearance between the clutch assembly and slipper clutch assembly. When it is loose it appears it is ok but when you tighten it all up sometimes they drag on each other. This fixed all our issues and I also helped a guy fix the same issue on a new install at the track a couple weeks ago.

edwardsp&b
03-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I know what your problem is, I had the same issues about a week ago. I pm'd my number give me a call.
Bryan

chawness
03-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the reply, I will try your suggestions.

dewutfan
03-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I had the same problem as quadfather and what he said works... we went one step futher also we got a thicker gasket to to help for the shiming and everything works great know...

chawness
03-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Yes thanks everyone I got the slipper setup working. The shims worked, if only they would send some instructions with this stuff. Now one more question. Does anyone know the thread pitch of the nut that holds the rear clutch assembly on? I had it apart so many times I wore the nut out!

edwardsp&b
03-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Call back to Gforce and order a couple of them. It will probably save you a headache later.
Bryan

chawness
03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah no doubt. It's a M10-1.0 thread pitch.

ValloneRaceTeam
04-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by chawness
Thanks for the reply, I will try your suggestions.

We have the same Koso delta clutch and trying to set up my sons 06 Apex, have some springs coming from Gforce, does anyone have directions on this unit? What to do those allen screws do? I'm used the stock predator clutch not this fancy one, thank you

chawness
04-11-2012, 06:45 AM
The allen head bolts are used to adjust the springs tension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dugnyRt4iY

Fishnfinatic
04-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Since you all are on the subject I need help. For some reason when I give the quad throttle it starts off really slow. Ive been told the clutches are adjustable so I'm not sure if the previous owner had set it up that way. Anyway do you all have any suggestions? It don't have no problems in top end speed.

chawness
04-18-2012, 07:55 AM
How much does it rev before it moves?

Fishnfinatic
04-18-2012, 08:25 AM
I don't have an rpm gauge yet, but it revs pretty high.