PDA

View Full Version : no start 96 300ex all stock unmoselted

XR200R
03-05-2012, 06:04 AM
so a 96 300ex showed up at my house, friend got it and his mom said nope your not keeping it here so i bough it off him.

well i noticed red grease on the battery terminals, i cleaned them offed, then traced the battery cables positive where the meet up before they go to the starter...both nuts were loose there so i tighten them up. also took the ground and cleaned that off on the battery box.

now before i did all this bike has lights, just didnt crank at all when i pressed start.

so i did all that then traced wire to the starer...noticed it was rigged on backwards ( i havent had a 300 in 2 years so i kinda forget sum stuff. i saw these dark amber colored carbon fiberish washers and the terminal cable was not attached directly to the starter metal. this where i stopped...not sure what the deal is but ill check bikebandit.com. still no start. nothing in the wire harness is unplugged or even cut.

any ideas? yes reverse cables are hooked up and attached. im out of ideas....this e start crap is backwards to me cuz i know know 450r kick start bikes.

lil help!!!!!!!

rooster300ex
03-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Did u check the fuse?? Try pulling in the clutch while you try to start it.

XR200R
03-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Replaces the 15v fuse with the spare one and vise vera, also held clutch in too. same result.

scratching head now, it should crank, i have lights so id know id have spark if its got lights if the darn thing could crank. i traced all wires nothings out of place and everything connected some how or another.

rooster300ex
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Its the silinoid then. Cross the silinoid with something. I use a quarter lol. It should turn over unless something is wrong with ur starter.

XR200R
03-06-2012, 05:25 AM
ok ill try that, ill just take 1 wire off and touch it on the other one attached. il see if that works this weekend.

XR200R
03-07-2012, 06:13 AM
put battery wire against starter wire and it cranked a little, not much. noticed lights went dim then. i pulled the battery and charged it.

watch it have a blown motor or somthing stupid. im getting the ****s of it now. theres a reason i like kick start lol.

XR200R
03-08-2012, 05:35 AM
fully charged battery still nothing, touched wires on starter wire again it cranked better but cranking was intermittent. im guessing starter is shot.

bike wont crank at all pressing the estart button. anyone got any ideas? id like to get it running so i can cut the front end off and make it a 3wheeler.

rooster300ex
03-08-2012, 11:39 AM
I bet the silinoid is shot as well as the starter it sounds like to me. Don't forget to check the clutch safety switch also.

XR200R
03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
i know about the clutch deal on these. im planin on buying a new starter, silinoid. it was sitting out side for awhile my buddy told me but i dont know much of its life other then that. i want to bump start it next to see if it even fires up. it will help give more of a story. either way its staying in the family now, too nice to part and cant beat the price it cost me even though its a huge down grade from my last quad.