PDA

View Full Version : A good quiet exhaust

407EXr
03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Im looking at getting a new muffler for my 400ex. I want something relatively quiet but gives me a boost in power. right now I have the stock muffler with the spark arrestor removed(2 of the 3 bolts are broke off). What do yall recommend? I like the sound of the Big Gun Evo R but I dont want it to be too loud. Thanks for the input.

CJM
03-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Ever aftermarket muffler is MUCH louder than stock, basically cause they are all the same straight thru design. The stock one will be the quietest no matter how you look at it.

dxcody
03-05-2012, 09:06 PM
If you get a exhaust with a removable cap, you can do like i did on my honda foreman for hunting+such.

Get some aluminum, or some type of metal, and cut it to fit behind the end cap. Drill a bunch of small holes or a few big holes... Make a few of them to see how it turns out, but i made the foreman REALLY QUIET.

It will require some jetting tweaks tho, since you are messing with the flow.

Redneck? Yep
Works? You bet!

beastlywarrior
03-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Fmf q4 or fmf megamax

407EXr
03-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Ive looked at the Q4, I like the deep thoaty sound but I also want something quiet enough that I can ride without a helmet and it not give me a headache(I normally wear a helmet anyways). Also the plate with drilled holes idea does sound like something I would do lol. Thanks for the input. If anyone else has any ideas feel free to provide input.

Drewltr450
03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
i have an fmf q4 of my bike and quad its got a nice deep note but doesnt have that extreme echo most pipes do i wont ride with anything else anymore.

TacicalRedneck
04-05-2012, 02:46 PM
something quiet enough that I can ride without a helmet and it not give me a headache

I have arguablly one of the loudest pipes made for a 400ex, and i've never got a headache or sick of the noise. Now the person standing behind me.. that may be a differant story... but that shouldn't be a big factor.