PDA

View Full Version : Best Tires For The Money?

Rohr397
03-04-2012, 01:26 PM
So I need to buy some new rear tires. I was thinking about replacing my fronts cause they rims are really dented, but they're the size I want and they're brand new. Plus the rims still hold air and it drives straight. My rears are 18 inch, nice for sliding, but honestly just too low for the deep muddy ruts here in the northwest. I'm dragging my rear end through everything. And they've only got 50% tread and don't hold air (thanks to some cruddy beat up beadlocks). So I want to get new rear tires and rims for right around $200, 20 inches tall with good tread and a decent rim that can take a fair amount of abuse. Anyone know what the best deal is for the money and where I can get them? I don't want to go used either. Im going for sort of an all purpose middle of the road tire, something I can track ride one day and go out to the desert the next day. Thanks!

P.S. I have maxxis RAZR 22 inch tires in the front if that helps, I'd like the rear to match be similar.

HondaRacing83
03-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Kenda Klaw XCR or MXR. They are cheap. Or STI TECH 4 XC or STI TECH 4 MX. Or Duro Berm raiders, they have the "X" pattern. I guess they hook up great but dont slide the best. All are in the $60 a piece range

Rohr397
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
True true but I need to buy rims to go with and have the whole rim/tire package under $200.

Tommy '02EX
03-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I dont think you're gonna find much for $200. Keep lurking ebay, rmatv, bike bandit, etc. Maybe you'll get lucky.

HondaRacing83
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
If you dont need beadlocks find a set of stock wheels or get some g force xc wheels

Honda.rider5871
03-04-2012, 03:43 PM
G-Force Wheels are the best for the money if you dont need beadlocks , they have rolled lips like the stock ones , heres the link : http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/257/995/6963/26039/G-Force-XC-Aluminum-Wheel Polished and matte are the same price.

Should be able to find some decent tires for About $50 a piece , theres ARTRAX on Motosport that seem to be ok. I would check out the part outs on the classifieds on this site , sould be able to find something with a good setup under $200

CJM
03-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Kenda Klaw XCR or MXR. They are cheap. Or STI TECH 4 XC or STI TECH 4 MX. Or Duro Berm raiders, they have the "X" pattern. I guess they hook up great but dont slide the best. All are in the $60 a piece range

I have the klaws, thumbs down. They dont slide all to well with them flipped to either of the patterns (they are dual pattern tread) and they dont grip to well at all in soft stuff.

Honestly they will cost you a bit but the razr 1 is the only tire I would buy. Only other one worth mentioning is the holeshot hd. Razr 2 is to grippy for most and sadly the cst ambush while anice razr copy is only 4 ply and to soft and prone to punctures.

Im buying razrs when i finally get soem bucks and wear out the kendas.

Rohr397
03-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Oh trust me I don't have need beadlocks or anything over 4 ply. Ive been running dinky 2 ply tires most the time on stock rims and ive never had a flat in the last 6 years. It's soft sand, wet sand and hard pack dirt around here. I really don't want an XC tread or something with five million knobbies. Just really versatile.

CJM
03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Trust me, I ride the same stuff but prefer the 6ply. EVERYONE uses razrs or holeshots (most use razr). If they aint using those they have paddles. I got paddles too but it irritates others due to sand kick up.

AtvKid4Eva
03-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Holeshots are very soft unless you are racing. I've always ran Maxxis Razr mx's in the front and now have them in the back and they hook up great and last long!

Kwadrider04
03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I have the ambush cst's and I absolutely love them! Ey are 6 ply actually and I have been riding mine several weeks now between road and dirt with no wear on tread and they hook awesome on any type of dirt. def recommend them they also have a very good price too!

CJM
03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Sorry bud but they only come in 4ply unless CST's site is wrong. http://www.csttires.com/ATV/ATV-Sport/Ambush-Rear-C9309.aspx

btw, CST=cheng shin tire. They make maxxis, gbc and many others.

Rohr397
03-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Oh I'm cool with that I just don't want a 6 ply.

Rohr397
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Alright here's what I found. I can buy two Sedona Bazooka's in 20x11-8 on one website and get G-Force GP wheels at 8x8.5 on another all for about $180-200. Does this combo sound right? I always second guess myself...

The Sedona's were a recommendation from a friend just fyi.

Rohr397
03-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Also what does it mean if the rim is 3.5 + 5.0 vs 3.0 + 5.0?

tbrackman84
03-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I have the klaws, thumbs down. They dont slide all to well with them flipped to either of the patterns (they are dual pattern tread) and they dont grip to well at all in soft stuff.

Honestly they will cost you a bit but the razr 1 is the only tire I would buy. Only other one worth mentioning is the holeshot hd. Razr 2 is to grippy for most and sadly the cst ambush while anice razr copy is only 4 ply and to soft and prone to punctures.

Im buying razrs when i finally get soem bucks and wear out the kendas.

I agree 100% with CJM, i have kenda klaw xcr's and they are trash. The only sweet thing about them is they last forever, even riding on the nasty stuff where i ride they have far surpassed my expectations. But, original maxxis razrs are where it's at. They are the first kind of tire I had on my quad, and they ruled. Whenever i get new ones again, thats what they will be, 100% worth it tires are everything

400exjoker
03-04-2012, 11:38 PM
i just bought the kenda kutters 6ply on sti wheels 20 in the back and 22 in the front and i paid 435 shipped for all 4 they should be here tomorrow, ill let u know how i like them when they get here, i used http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Tire-Wheel-Package-Builder

400exjoker
03-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
Also what does it mean if the rim is 3.5 + 5.0 vs 3.0 + 5.0?

thats the offset 3.5 on the inside and 5.0 on the outside of the wheel i believe, some one could correct me if im wrong on the which number is inner/outer of wheel

russellsroost31
03-05-2012, 06:44 AM
dunlop quadmax sport rears
maxxis razor fronts or maxxis cross

Thumpin440ex
03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I have had great success with my Ambush tires, same people who make the razors, just a more oem style tire.

John

Honda.rider5871
03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Forgot about the sedonas, there supposed to be a good tire, i know a couple of people that run them all the way areound and seem to like them , they hook up well and ive yet to see one puncture. Why 8" wheels ? with 20" tires i would run 9"

d90rick
03-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Gbc t rex from kgmotorcycles. $249 shipped for all four. 6 ply. Maxxis razr copies. Excellent

03-09-2012, 03:52 PM
yea my buddy got a deal on bazookas last spring.we were all skeptical but he mounted them on his worked 700 raptor and had absolutely zero problems in our extremely rocky unforgiving terrain. this guy is very picky,he won't buy anything unless its real and it works.he liked them so much he just bought another set.very deep lugs compared to anything i run,razr 1 and 2/holeshot hd's.he said and i can see they hook up real good,they also slide well.that quad with those just rototills' the earth.i can't believe it but i must say i was impressed so much with his experience,cuz i know how we ride and how often with a good bit of pavement to boot,that when my hd's wear out i think i may join him. i don't think its possible to get 2 tires on 2 rims for $200 tho.i just don't see it but anything is possible i guess.

jgar
03-09-2012, 05:52 PM
I have had GBC shredders on the rear for 2 yrs now. They are a great tire, hook up or slide when you want. It looks like I might get 4 years total out of them. Really tough tire and the 4 ply run $55 +/-.

Rohr397
03-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by PAxcThumper
yea my buddy got a deal on bazookas last spring.we were all skeptical but he mounted them on his worked 700 raptor and had absolutely zero problems in our extremely rocky unforgiving terrain. this guy is very picky,he won't buy anything unless its real and it works.he liked them so much he just bought another set.very deep lugs compared to anything i run,razr 1 and 2/holeshot hd's.he said and i can see they hook up real good,they also slide well.that quad with those just rototills' the earth.i can't believe it but i must say i was impressed so much with his experience,cuz i know how we ride and how often with a good bit of pavement to boot,that when my hd's wear out i think i may join him. i don't think its possible to get 2 tires on 2 rims for $200 tho.i just don't see it but anything is possible i guess.

I found that if I buy the Sedona's from motorcycle-superstore and the G-Force rims from Rocky Mountain I can pull off under $200.

03-09-2012, 07:43 PM
well done.that has to be the best bang for the buck i think i've seen.thx for helping us whilst we were helping you!!i run only beadlocks,baja or a similar form of reinforced wheel here but for the money you just can't go wrong.congrats sir i think the job is done.

Rohr397
03-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks. I run beadlocks right now and they are useless. Up until now I have run nothing but stock through some of the nastiest trails in the state, in the desert and at the motocross track and I've never had a flat. My beadlocks on the other hand don't hold air for a full day :rolleyes: haha I just have yet to find a reason to buy anything more than a basic rim ya know? I did want to buy some stock KFX rims since they're reinforced but couldn't find any used ones.

I'm just glad through research and suggestions that something worked out. Now that info is available to everyone! :D

03-10-2012, 09:06 AM
yea buddy! i tell you what i was skeptical on beadlocks for that reason and am very skeptical on the hiper tech 3's cuz they're apparently ,due to the split wheel design,a 3-4 piece wheel essentially if you count the locking rings however i got a cheap set of dwt rok out's and rok n loks and i've never looked back.my buddy has trouble with his itps all the time but my dwt's have been very reliable and now i no longer have to beg the garage guy to change my tires anymore.they're extremely tough as well,i beat the snot out of them on day after day on big rocks and so far,1 year in,they've been flawless.just my experience.

Rohr397
03-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah the DWT's are something else, I just can't afford them :/ too many damn things broke after my crash and I gotta pay gas too which is up to $4.40 for me. That usually eats up most of what I earn.