PDA

View Full Version : Recon ES 20 hr tuneup ripoff

Yucapan Man
03-03-2003, 03:45 PM
I had recently bought a new 02 Recon ES and have around 20 hrs. on it. The local dealership is trying to charge the outragious sum of $220 for the 20 hr tuneup!!!! I have the extended warranty so I am a little concerned about voiding the warranty. I do have a good friend of mine who is a Honda certified Auto mechanic. I know most of the tuneup involves basic inspections of fluids and brakes, oil and filter change, and valve check/adjustment. If I do all that myself except the valve adjustment (have my mechanic friend do that) will my warranted stay in tact if I have all parts and job descriptions documented? Thanks in advance for your responses:cool:

Castor-426ex
03-03-2003, 03:47 PM
id tell them to take that 220 bucks and shove it up there couch warmers.....thats bs and id def get my quad outta there

brokeitin3
03-03-2003, 05:38 PM
change the oil filter just for the 20 hour tune-up thats why the price would be around $220.00, that is not an easy task

02Yellow400
03-03-2003, 10:56 PM
I dont know man i stil think thats B.S. My break in period tune up was free from my dealer. So was my first oil change. But this was on a 400

300exTJjeeper
03-03-2003, 11:16 PM
THat is a huge ripp off. I went back to my dealer to the first tune up and they wanted 330. I told to Fu*k off. and for a oil cahnge and check the nuts and bolts.
SO i went and order me a manual for the spec'x on the 300ex. And do my own work.

Been working on trucks and cars for about 18 years. And now a Quad ain't **** nothing to it for maintanice and rebuilding.

Braff1
03-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Well lets see here..... The recon does NOT have an oil filter, uses 2 quarts of oil, and only has 2 valves too adjust. 2 quarts of HN4 is about 6.00 so they charged you 214.oo for labor to change the oil and ajust 2 valves.

brokeitin3
03-10-2003, 09:03 AM
a serviceable oil filter. it just dont require maintainence at every oil change

tecate87
08-22-2004, 02:49 PM
where is the servicable filter on this quad ??

Braff1
08-22-2004, 05:52 PM
The recon does not have a servicable oil filter. It does have an internal screen to filter out debris.

tecate87
08-22-2004, 06:14 PM
thanks,

TRX300X
08-31-2004, 08:15 PM
The reason the price is so high is simple. It's because you have to figure the parts cost what about $20. Ok now lets look at the labor rate, the labor rate starts when you walk through the door. You talk to a service writer and get wrote up (the service writer draws wages from the company) you then go back to the service department where a tech unloads your vehicle (the tech is on the clock as well) the tech then works on your ATV and turns in the repair order and has lets say 2 hours into your quad. Well at $80 labor rate that's $160.

Ok so far we're at $180 and the quad isnt even back to you. The other $60 goes towards enviromental fee's and paying people to file the paperwork. Shops have to dispose of the used oil that came from your quad, thats cost money. Next the service writer has to enter your repair order into the computer and file it and next contact you and tell you to come pick up your quad. When you arrive you talk to the service writer who is on the clock and pay your bill. You then drive around back to the service department and a tech loads your quad up for you.

You need to remember that $220 isn't just for the guy turning the wrenches and the parts. You also have to pay the people that you deal with up front.

toby400ex
09-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Its a ***** taking off all the **** to adjust the valves on a recon. Not as simple as a 400. But thats still a crazy price.

Fred55
09-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by TRX300X
The reason the price is so high is simple. It's because you have to figure the parts cost what about $20. Ok now lets look at the labor rate, the labor rate starts when you walk through the door. You talk to a service writer and get wrote up (the service writer draws wages from the company) you then go back to the service department where a tech unloads your vehicle (the tech is on the clock as well) the tech then works on your ATV and turns in the repair order and has lets say 2 hours into your quad. Well at $80 labor rate that's $160.

Ok so far we're at $180 and the quad isnt even back to you. The other $60 goes towards enviromental fee's and paying people to file the paperwork. Shops have to dispose of the used oil that came from your quad, thats cost money. Next the service writer has to enter your repair order into the computer and file it and next contact you and tell you to come pick up your quad. When you arrive you talk to the service writer who is on the clock and pay your bill. You then drive around back to the service department and a tech loads your quad up for you.

You need to remember that $220 isn't just for the guy turning the wrenches and the parts. You also have to pay the people that you deal with up front.

Not Quite...but good try tho...lol

Take your recon to another Honda dealer and *HOPEFULLY* they wont charge as much..

DaleJrFan
09-02-2004, 09:02 PM
after reading this thread i called a buddy of mine who has bought two new quads in the last year and he said that the dealership that he went through didn't charge him s**t to adjust the valves for the first time. sounds like they are making a bunch of easy money.