PDA

View Full Version : Lock up/out clutch

adamson350r
03-02-2012, 08:58 PM
I have a 370 and I need a lockup/out clutch.

My bike is running around 80 hp and I need one.
Slingshot and Direct Drive is what I am interested in. I am a little moreso interested in the slingshot due to costs. I just don't know if there is any machining involved.

I looked to see if I could find earlier posts and didn't have any luck.
Thoughts and on both systems, and pros and cons would really help me out.

pdxbigfoot
03-03-2012, 01:52 AM
I ran the Direct Drive set up and LOVED IT!!! Never got it to slip once.
It took a bit to get but the overall finish, machining and customer service was top notch.

morse250r
03-03-2012, 05:47 AM
you do have to do some machine work on your clutch hub for the sling shot. but i too run dd and love it.. looks cool with the clear side cover too

derby
03-03-2012, 07:44 AM
I have run both of them and if I were to buy again it would be a dd. The slingshot works well but I like the ability to adjust the dd. Another downside to the dd is that extended kicker shaft will really dig into your leg without boots on. Just something to think about.

dabeechman
03-04-2012, 01:34 AM
I have both and I like the slingshot more.

The direct drive costs a lot more, and slips easier. It takes about 85hp for the direct drive to slip, and 95 for the slingshot. If the slingshot slips, you can add tungsten balls and it'll hold to 110+.

Other pro's/con's, is that the DD moves your kicker out so if you have a right side drag pipe it makes it a real PITA to kick and I have bent 2 of the kick shafts.

Deadly
03-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Personally I don't feel there's enough "hard" facts out there to actually say one is better than the other. Both are adjustable. The DD is easier to adjust than the Slingshot is.

DD is pretty expensive. Those lexan covers eventually warp and leak (from what I've read anyway).

The SS info provided by users on the inetrnet is so misleading. It's NOT a drop in replacement. You have to machine the inner clutch basket down IIRC .039mm. There's also a reason you can't use a Hinson inner basket (also not talked about or in the directions). Then you have to ensure you are using the updated "pankcake" bearing. Directions also do not state if you must use stock springs or CR500 (or if it matters?). I'm having an issue with mine slipping a tad and have to tear it down tomorrow and try to figure out why. Was told by another user he is having problems with it locking out too early. I dunno I digress

Personally I prefer the ability to have the stock sized cover (which means sling shot got my vote). Honestly once you get either of these dialed in you won't have to replace the clutch plates in a loooong time so the ease of getting at the actual clutch turns into a moot point. I did purchase the ESR quick change clutch cover simply because it'll be quicker to work on that sling shot until I get it dialed in. Sure wish it worked the first time

My .02

:grr: :mad:

Higgy87TRX425
03-04-2012, 05:38 PM
I've called at spoken to Direct Drive a few times. I was initially gonna go that route, but I'd heard from quite a few respected builders that the Slingshot lockout is the best way to go! Also that Direct Drive didn't have their S^%& together! I still wanted to buy one of their extended kick starter shafts because my boot kept hitting the inframe Shearer Pipe that I was running. I though that a coulple extra inches would solve this problem. So I call up Direct Drive one morning and ask them if they have one of those extended shafts in stock? They said that they did, I in turn told them that I really wanted it and would be out within the next couple hours to buy it. I only live about 20mins away from their shop. So I arrive at the shop, with no one to greet me, I wait about 10mins calling for someone to come out, No one does. Finally I go out side to try and get cell service I make the call get ahold of them and they say that they'll be right down. So this guy slowly makes his way to front counter only to tell me that he doesn't have the part in stock and that he had in fact shipped it out earlyier that day to finish up a project that he'd been working on, Needless to say I was a little angry. So I politelty thanked him for wasteing my time, Let him know that I'd never do business with him again and and tell everyone that asks what kinda of customer Service he provided me.
Sorry Jason, but that's how they treated me. So be carefull. Time is money and I hate when people waste both of mine. Those guys at Direct Drive are bums. I'm not gonna go out and accuse anyone of smoking on the job, but as a former Medicinal user, it ws pretty obvious what was going on!! I have nothing angainst the medicinal use, but please keep ur head straight that work! We spend thousands of dollars on these bikes and its just thousands of inches that can blow a $5000-plus motor!!
Stick with the Slingshot louckout!!
Thanks Higgy!