PDA

View Full Version : I want a ATV again. School me on the LTR please

parts eeter
03-02-2012, 09:57 AM
I have been out of ATVs for several years now. I just want a good ATV that handles well and runs fine as is.

I had a full built TRX 416 EX and I didnt like the way it handled, and the motor was weak even built up. So this time around I want a good chassis to start with and a 450 platform.

Will a stock LTR with a pipe and "Cherry Bomb" and some skids be a long lasting reliable quad?

I dont want to have to buy an expensive Fuel Tuner, or mod the engine beyond cams, and a piston. I want to leave the chassis stock as well as the shocks ( I may respring for my 227 lb weight)

Riding will consist of mostly wide UTV trails, off road parks, playing on some MX.

Would you fellas give me the quick schoolin on what I need to know about the LTR?

I found a 08 thats like new with a DG slip on exhaust, after market intake, and a cherry bomb. The motor is stock and has never been modified.

Hes askin 4k but seems negotiable. I have a guy beggin for my YZ450F dirt bike and I dont wanna sell it until I am sure I have another deal lined up.

What would you say this LTR is worth from the descripition I gave?

honda250xrider
03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
I think that is a little high. I sold my LTR several years ago for 3,100. I would say anywhere from the 3,000-3,500 range would be a fair price depending upon the condition

parts eeter
03-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
I think that is a little high. I sold my LTR several years ago for 3,100. I would say anywhere from the 3,000-3,500 range would be a fair price depending upon the condition

The bike is a one owner. It was broke in for about 5-6 hrs in a field and ridden on a MX track ONE time by a novice rider.

It literally is new still.

I negotiated to 3800 but he is firm there.

Thank You for the input, I do appreciate your time.

May I have some input on the ATV in general? Like are there any known problems?

farmer250r
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
im a new ltr450 owner.just bought a brand new 2008 with yoshi rs5 full exhaust and a cherry bomb and full skid plates.i ride in wide trails and on my farm and pits around my house.the ltr is a very soild quad.ive owned it for about 2 months and have about 10 hrs on it.the only thing they dont like is low octane fuel.sometimes it will backfire and shut off.the quad handles realy well and is great for just whippin the back end around.jumps are a ease.stock suspension is nice for a stock setup.ive jumped some 40-50ft doubles with no problem.eats them up.the one thing youll notice the most is the throttle responce and the power curve with the cherry bomb.almost feels like your riding a 2 stroke cause mid range power is awsome.i have alwyas owned hondas but i have nothing bad to say about my new suzuki and like it alot better then my old trx450 because the center of gravity is alot lower and you feel alot safer going around a nice turn in 3rd gear pinned! kinda feels like riding a old 250r.powers there when you need it but the handling is what realy shines out in the ltr450.

parts eeter
03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by farmer250r
im a new ltr450 owner.just bought a brand new 2008 with yoshi rs5 full exhaust and a cherry bomb and full skid plates.i ride in wide trails and on my farm and pits around my house.the ltr is a very soild quad.ive owned it for about 2 months and have about 10 hrs on it.the only thing they dont like is low octane fuel.sometimes it will backfire and shut off.the quad handles realy well and is great for just whippin the back end around.jumps are a ease.stock suspension is nice for a stock setup.ive jumped some 40-50ft doubles with no problem.eats them up.the one thing youll notice the most is the throttle responce and the power curve with the cherry bomb.almost feels like your riding a 2 stroke cause mid range power is awsome.i have alwyas owned hondas but i have nothing bad to say about my new suzuki and like it alot better then my old trx450 because the center of gravity is alot lower and you feel alot safer going around a nice turn in 3rd gear pinned! kinda feels like riding a old 250r.powers there when you need it but the handling is what realy shines out in the ltr450.

Thank You for the reply, I have been reading up all day on these quads. My buddies all ride YFZs and TRX450s and they dump so much money in them to make em decent. I just want a good stocker with a few mods. the LTR looks good stock to me.

Great Stuff ..... Feedback is greatly appreciated.

turdboy
03-03-2012, 06:32 AM
The biggest thing about the 08's is they are known to have the most tranny problems. I have an 06' and my 3rd gear went out a couple years ago. Rebuilt the tanny and it's been solid ever since. There is no way to really check the tranny, but it seems some guys don't ever have an issue, and others blow a tranny. That is the only major flaw with the LTR. Otherwise awesome quad and very good in stock trim. Also you said that 08 had an aftermarket intake? Does it also have a fuel programmer? I would be a bit leary because with these EFI quads once you start messing with intake and cams, you should adapt a fuel programmer to adjust for the change in air/fuel ratio.

parts eeter
03-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by turdboy
The biggest thing about the 08's is they are known to have the most tranny problems. I have an 06' and my 3rd gear went out a couple years ago. Rebuilt the tanny and it's been solid ever since. There is no way to really check the tranny, but it seems some guys don't ever have an issue, and others blow a tranny. That is the only major flaw with the LTR. Otherwise awesome quad and very good in stock trim. Also you said that 08 had an aftermarket intake? Does it also have a fuel programmer? I would be a bit leary because with these EFI quads once you start messing with intake and cams, you should adapt a fuel programmer to adjust for the change in air/fuel ratio.

He said it had a airbox removal kit that only used a pod style filter. OEM airbox is included. The Cherry Bomb is the only mod besides that and a slip on DG muffler.

Is there an updated 3rd gear for the repair?

Limited Z_400
03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
The biggest thing about the 08's is they are known to have the most tranny problems. I have an 06' and my 3rd gear went out a couple years ago. Rebuilt the tanny and it's been solid ever since. There is no way to really check the tranny, but it seems some guys don't ever have an issue, and others blow a tranny. That is the only major flaw with the LTR. Otherwise awesome quad and very good in stock trim. Also you said that 08 had an aftermarket intake? Does it also have a fuel programmer? I would be a bit leary because with these EFI quads once you start messing with intake and cams, you should adapt a fuel programmer to adjust for the change in air/fuel ratio. You can check the condition of the 3rd gear by removing the clutch cover & clutch assy. You can look through a hole into the tranmission, inspect for damaged gear before they break & trash your oil pumps.

Limited Z_400
03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
The biggest thing about the 08's is they are known to have the most tranny problems. I have an 06' and my 3rd gear went out a couple years ago. Rebuilt the tanny and it's been solid ever since. There is no way to really check the tranny, but it seems some guys don't ever have an issue, and others blow a tranny. That is the only major flaw with the LTR. Otherwise awesome quad and very good in stock trim. Also you said that 08 had an aftermarket intake? Does it also have a fuel programmer? I would be a bit leary because with these EFI quads once you start messing with intake and cams, you should adapt a fuel programmer to adjust for the change in air/fuel ratio. You can check the condition of the 3rd gear by removing the clutch cover & clutch assy. You can look through a hole into the tranmission, inspect for damaged gear before they break & trash your oil pumps.

parts eeter
03-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Limited Z_400
You can check the condition of the 3rd gear by removing the clutch cover & clutch assy. You can look through a hole into the tranmission, inspect for damaged gear before they break & trash your oil pumps.

Good to know...Thanks for the info.

mineralgrey01gt
03-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by parts eeter
He said it had a airbox removal kit that only used a pod style filter. OEM airbox is included. The Cherry Bomb is the only mod besides that and a slip on DG muffler.

Is there an updated 3rd gear for the repair?

there is a shifter pin relocate kit for them for around $50 i think, maybe a little less. i still need to do it to mine.

My quad is set up the same as the one you are looking at. The cherry bomb is required to run no lid on the air box and a slip on or take the baffle out the stock muffler.

parts eeter
03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
there is a shifter pin relocate kit for them for around $50 i think, maybe a little less. i still need to do it to mine.

My quad is set up the same as the one you are looking at. The cherry bomb is required to run no lid on the air box and a slip on or take the baffle out the stock muffler.

So if I install the shifter pin relocation kit does it cure the 3rd gear falures?

benbuilt4u
03-05-2012, 07:44 AM
no it wont stop from breaking 3rd and 08-09 models dont benifit from the shift pin only 06-07

parts eeter
03-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by benbuilt4u
no it wont stop from breaking 3rd and 08-09 models dont benifit from the shift pin only 06-07

Well this one is a new 08 so I guess if it shifts good I would have to roll the dice on the transmission.

I did find a fully built LTZ 400 with a big bore kit and Gibson long travel that looks really nice.

I already have a fully built DRZ 400 dual sport so I know that engine well. However when it comes to ATVs I would prefer to start with the absolute best platform possible because I have been thru the TRX400EX and the whole throwing money at it game. I still ended up wanting a 450 in the end. I only built the DRZ cuz I needed the street legal plate for daily use.

It seems a mixed bag of reviews when it comes to a fully built longarm.extended big bore LTZ400 VS a mild built LTR450. Some guys love the LTZ and some guys swear the LTR is the way to go.

muddy400EX
03-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't mess with the Z. Go for the ltr. Its a great quad. Plenty of power, good stock suspension, good handling.

Just get a handlebar setup you like (stock is way to high for me, i like low bars) get some tires for whether you ride mx or trails. and you'll be set

they've got great power stock, and a cb,pipe, and filter make it even better

When i first got mine, it had the cherry bomb, but stock pipe and filter. I got a motoworks pipe and uni filter, and left the lid off. And it REALLY woke it up. It gave it alot more snap, just felt like it was finally alive:cool:

les70
03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
i currently own a 06 ltr and had a z400 and a 400ex in the past.i feel the ltr is by far a better preforming quad in stock trim vs the 400's with modifications. you will need to throw lots of money at the z400 to get it to preform like the ltr. a good pipe,intake,steering stabilizer,and re-valve and spring the stock shocks will make the ltr a great bike that will be just as good or maybe better than your buddies yfz's and trx's

who is this???
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Cherry bomb and full pipe. Take all the preload out of the shocks and ride it like that. If you decide to go with 20in tires in the rear, drop a tooth in the front.