PDA

View Full Version : Nose down EX

sickmojave
02-29-2012, 05:22 PM
long story short...

my 03 Ex has been a trailer queen from day one... we are taking it out of storage and mounting it to a wall nose down.. some thing like a picture..:p I'm going to drain everything and take the battery out..

my question is.. this thing will be here for years. is there anything I should run through the motor to protect it?? I may never run it again but if I do I really don't want to have to rebuild it.. ;)

JOHNDOE83
02-29-2012, 05:50 PM
I would leave the oil in it for sure just change it and overfill it, then I would take the spark plug out and pour oil in the cylinder and hit the starter a few times to circulate the oil in the top of the cylinder and coat the piston really well.

Try to get it on the down stroke and re-fill what came out of the cylinder and put the plug back in. If you do that, it may be a good idea to attach a note to the atv somewhere so if someone other then you decades later decide to run it. They will see the note and say "Oh we gotta fix the oil level and drain the oil in the cylinder before we start it" If they even read it...lol.

I would also drain the carb, take it apart and clean it then spray the crap out of everything with silicone spray and put it back together, same for the gas tank. Also take the chain off so it dont get stuck to the sprokets and anti seize your swinger bolt.

Then give it a good wash/dry, then spray it down with silicone spray overkill and let it drip dry and hang it on the wall.

After that you should be good for many years!

sickmojave
02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Great Idea with the note.. I would not have thought of that. we have to take it apart to carry it where it's going so I plan on anti seizing every bolt and the pivot bolt as we go..

Lots of good info in your post.. Thank you.. :)

I start taking it apart in the morning...

01FOURHUNITEX
03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
cool idea, I would love to have a mint spare quad to hang on my wall. There was a place that did this with vintage 3 wheelers a while back, I'll try and find the link.

would love to see pics of yours when its done

01FOURHUNITEX
03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
http://www.3wheeler.org/trikeheaven/index.html

this guy hung his "nose up", but I think it would look cool either way.