PDA

View Full Version : first sport atv! questions

400exjoker
02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
ok so after alot of saving my money and searching craigslist i bought an 04 honda 400ex, i chose the 400ex cuz my cousin has an 03 400ex and he said his is almost bullet proof and it was fast enough for me... ok long story short im a newb and have some questions!

1. right now its got stock tires on front and kenda sand geckos siz 21x11x8 i would like to know is will a 20x11x9 tire would fit on the same wheel

2.what is a good cheap tire set for sand/trail

3.how do you take the plastics off without messing up the little plastic rivit things

4. recomended jetting with high flow air filter and this pipehmf pipe (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HMF-Honda-TRX-400EX-99-08-CLOSEOUT-/320799246398?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab120083e) at 250ft above sea level (im already going to a 42 pilot jet and plan on leaving this quad pretty much stock besides the pipe and air filter and maybe outerwears, also should i mess with the needle jet

crazya**400exer
02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
if it is an 8 inch rim than no on the tires. i havent found any way to take the rivits out without breaking them but you cn get a bag of like 20 for $5

JOHNDOE83
02-29-2012, 05:59 PM
When trying to match tires to rims, like 21-11-8, 21 is the height, 11 is the width which is universal, and 8 is the rim size.

A good cheap tire can be found here www.rockymountainatv.com

If you take the tank cover off the plastics then unbolt the rest, they should slide right off the front in one piece. Also, you could replace those plastic rivets with some nice shiney bolts and washers.

I recommend a 160 main jet, but others will say different.

Y2daT420
02-29-2012, 06:06 PM
I really like the Kenda claws there cheap and available for 8 inch rims

CJM
02-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Y2daT420
I really like the Kenda claws there cheap and available for 8 inch rims

Been there done that. They are ok but do not grip nearly as good as the maxxis razr or holeshot hd. I personally will be running razrs next time. If you want paddles then the ITP sandstar is what I like. Geckos are too dang heavy.

Jetting depends on where you live due to elevation and temps. Id say a 155 is probably close to what ya need. Buy every jet size from 150-160 and play around with it. Leave the needle in the 3rd notch from the top (flat end).

jaspurx
02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I always used a wide tipped straight screwdriver, insert into the notch between the male and female portions,give the screwdriver a 90degree rotation flip of the wrist and up she comes.

After a few dozen install/removals they get worn out,but I have yet to break 1 that is worn out.

400exjoker
02-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Been there done that. They are ok but do not grip nearly as good as the maxxis razr or holeshot hd. I personally will be running razrs next time. If you want paddles then the ITP sandstar is what I like. Geckos are too dang heavy.

Jetting depends on where you live due to elevation and temps. Id say a 155 is probably close to what ya need. Buy every jet size from 150-160 and play around with it. Leave the needle in the 3rd notch from the top (flat end).

yea but they are in good shape and i probly wont use them much unless i go to the dunes and that wont be to often, i live in the country and there is alot of places to ride around here, ive been just using them till i get more of a dirt tire... the geckos are fine for now cuz there is a river behind my house with no water in it right now so i put till i get there and stay in the sand... but right now its like im confined to just the sand when there so much more to ride than just the river bottem

ive been eyeing these sti tech 4 xc (http://www.pureoffroad.com/sti_tech_4_xc_atv_tires.htm)
and plan on buying new wheels also

finsteratv
02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I usually pick up 450r take offs cheap off of craigslist and they're a decent tire! I'd like to try some razrs though.

400exjoker
02-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
I usually pick up 450r take offs cheap off of craigslist and they're a decent tire! I'd like to try some razrs though. yeah no one around here sellin anything that isnt either low tred left or in poor condition

Y2daT420
03-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Lol I like my kenda claws .Mostly for trail riding. never said there better than ITP hole shots or Maxis razors. Those are both awesome sport quad tires. and also avaliable for 8" rims
Iv'e rode a 400ex with the ITP hole shots.
And a banchee and a 350 warrior with the maxis razors .
If I were racing in comp I'd probably go with the ITP's
some 9" rims would give many more options on tires

quad2xtreme
03-01-2012, 04:15 PM
there is a tool for removing the plastic clips but I use two screw drivers and just wiggle them back and forth.

Since your new, you should remove the swingarm bolt and grease it. This is easiest if you buy another and use one to knock the other out...these keeps the swingarm from falling out and your having to line everything back up.

CJM
03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Those plastic clips are easy to remove. You can buy a panel popper and use it, a small pick works well, small flathead or a pair of dikes (wire cutters). I usually use a small pick.

Kwadrider04
03-01-2012, 07:19 PM
On the tire subject I have just purchased the best set of tires I have ever owned on 4 sport quads ambush cst is the name. They were $250 for the tires plus mounting(unless you do it your self) these tires have killer tread abt .75in of tread and they hook like crazy just a bit of advice for low budget killer tires

CJM
03-01-2012, 07:26 PM
CST ambush perhaps? Basically they are 4 ply razrs. Maxxis, CST and gbc are all the same tires pretty much, only difference is ply rating, tread design. They are all made by cheng shin tires.

400exjoker
03-01-2012, 08:31 PM
i bought all new tires/ rims front/back last night. i got the kenda kutters on sti wheels, i hope i like them cuz i spent a good wad of cash on them they should come on monday or tuesday

gotta wait till next week when i get paid and ima buy a hmf pipe and new bars and a steering stem as i bent mine today, everything else seems to be straight thank god but i think im just going to get the oem stem not sure on the bars yet... this sport isnt cheap...