PDA

View Full Version : Best CDI for the buck

Muddytrux
02-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Im looking to get a new CDI box for an 03 what is the best bang for the buck?or best in general

07honda400ex
02-28-2012, 06:28 PM
well I had 3 diff. ones now! I had a amr stage2 a ricks and a pro com. and I think the ricks was the best!! followed by the pro com. amr had starting issues??

jkosakowski
02-28-2012, 06:30 PM
I have one for sale if your intrested. It was a stock on modified by tom miller motosports witch makes it the same as a aftermarket one.

quadmanw
02-28-2012, 06:31 PM
I have the Curtis Sparks which was a lil more expensive but Sparks is one of the best names out there

Wheelie
02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Best CDI for the buck is the stock CDI.

ish416
02-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Quoted for truth.

To anyone who says a CDI does anything as far as making more power. Prove it. Post a dyno sheet from a stock CDI and an aftermarket CDI.

Nobody will, because they don't do anything besides let the engine rev out higher which is a complete waste as the engine has already stopped making power.

slightlybent47
02-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie

x2

dxcody
02-29-2012, 12:55 AM

x3

2muchquad
02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Actually these statements arent entirely true.If one has ever rode a 400ex with a sparks timing key there is a definate difference.A lot of your better cdi s do the same thing such as the msd and dyna.So yes while a lot of your pro com amr or rev max or other lowend cdis may just be rebadged copies of each other,SOME will complement a motor with mods.just sayin...:D

cheater13
02-29-2012, 10:01 AM

x4

400ex's produce the most power from the stock cdi box because they aren't made to rev any higher than they are supposed to. Your just risking blowing it up and decreasing the reliability of it by more wear and tear to the engine.

Honda5
02-29-2012, 10:15 AM
There is a reason "Most" people racing use them and it not that the gain horsepower. when shift at a higher rpm you are that much further into the power. I you have some mild mods you will have faster300" times and faster holeshots.
All you haters go to the track and put it to the test.
The ricks is nice as well as the procom. I had harder starts with the WB.
They also have a more aggressive timing curv adding more timing advance which will help with acceleration.

Remember 2 motors can have the same horsepower but the one that builds that power faster wins!!

All replys welcome

DragonGunner
02-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Here we go again with the ignorance.....

I'm 50 yrs. old....have a 1999 EX I bought in 2000 an have been racing MX, XC..... It is a built up 406 EX right now. I also have a stock motored 2001 I bought in 2004.

I have a WHITE BROTHERS CDI I bought in 2000. This rev box was never advertised as producing more HP. It changes the power curve an it adds about 1000 rpm. I can put anyone here on either machine at anytime an have you race an you can tell the differance between stock an the WB CDI. Its just that simple.

I cannot tell you about any other brand of CDI, I have heard that Sparks is very good but have never used one.

The 400EX won the Baja 1000 in 1999, it was a 416EX with WB cdi....please notify the all star racers that the extra 1000 rpms on top wasn't really needed....lol.

buck440
02-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Muddytrux
Im looking to get a new CDI box for an 03 what is the best bang for the buck?or best in general

if your quad is somewhat stock than none because there would be absolutely no gain.

07honda400ex
02-29-2012, 03:45 PM
first off if don't have one on your quad you don't know the diff. they up the spark timing u can hear the diff. as soon as you fire the quad!! so you guys that don't have one don't even know what your talking about!! Anytime u up the spark timing you get better throttle response! Its just how it goes! so yeah they make a diff. just like the sparks timing key!! Its the same thing just In a diff. spot on the bike! and when U run them both together U really feel the diff.!

bryan1984
02-29-2012, 07:18 PM
I have a dynatec on my 408 motor and a big gun on my 440. By riding them and then putting the stocker on it it seems there is a mid range difference. I want to go to sedalia for a day with both bikes and i will put them on the dyno and post the sheets. Prob wont be till mid summer when i do this but i am a firm believer in a good cdi is worth the money!

Wheelie
02-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I used to have a CDI on my quad. I ran it for two months, removed it, sold it and re-installed the stocker. Shortly after I started cutting my own timing keys.

A CDI is one of the only mods I don't have on my quad and for good reason.

ish416
02-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I had a WB cdi and the only difference I noticed was that it had trouble starting once the temps got cold. Sure it gave me about 4 mph higher top speed but there was no power difference what so ever and throttle response was the same.

To the people that think allowing the engine to rev out farther and then shifting puts you into more of the power, well .. you could be incorrect. Once the power starts to fall from peak is usually the best time to shift.

Now, not all engines are like this. Some produce peak HP and then level out before dropping off. The EX engines aren't this way, even modified they typically don't produce this kind of power. After 7,500 - 8,000 rpm the EX engines are signing off fast.

Attached is a picture of an EX on a dyno with a dynatek cdi, full Yoshimura exhaust(2 of the runs are with stock exhaust), rejetted carb and minimal porting. The only difference it makes is how far it revs out. There does appear to be a difference of .25 HP with the dynatek. However, if you look at the dates, you can see that all but the two runs with the dynatek are on different dates. That to me makes the 0.76% difference in power practically meaningless.

ish416
02-29-2012, 10:11 PM
07honda400ex

just like the sparks timing key!! Its the same thing just In a diff. spot on the bike! and when U run them both together U really feel the diff.!

As most of the CDI's I have seen list a +2 to +4 advance along with a +6 Sparks key, I'm quite confident that the only difference you would feel would be the hole in your piston.

Muddytrux
03-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Seems ive started quite a debate. has anyone ever used an xr250r cdi in a 400? and no my quad isnt fully stock so anything helps regardless to the gains to me. i guess this is one thing ill have to try for my self i appreciate everyones advice at this point.

dxcody
03-01-2012, 02:39 AM
i had a WB cdi on my 426ex when i first had it.

then i was trouble shooting something... I dont remeber what.. but anyways i replaced it with the stock CDI and i never could tell a difference.

I didnt think the WB made it hard to start or anything but i honestly did not notice a difference in anything.

They always sounded like those precision bar clamps to me... Its one of those things that Guys who use them say they are great.. Guys who dont (me) say they are pointless.

Its your money.. Spend it on what you want.

Honda5
03-01-2012, 04:34 AM
Do any of you guys race and if so what kind or racing and what class? I did and and have done fat better with the aftermarket cdi then without period. And if you can't tell the difference you don't ride like me.

Honda5
03-01-2012, 04:40 AM
ish416 just looked at that dyno and you are over jetted drop that back some. And if you haters have all the answers what is the drop off on a flat shift in rpms from second to third and third to fourth? Its not enough to keep a good tire spin to pull you quick enough thru the gear.
My goal is to help people go fast!

07honda400ex
03-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by ish416
07honda400ex

As most of the CDI's I have seen list a +2 to +4 advance along with a +6 Sparks key, I'm quite confident that the only difference you would feel would be the hole in your piston. then I guess when sparks says u can run it with cdis cams ect. they want you to blow you bike up? u can run both just not with a high comp. piston!!!The 400EX in stock form is very low compression and responds extremely well to advancing the timing 6 degrees. The Sparks Racing Ignition Advance Key advances the timing 6 degrees. There are no side affects from the installation of this key. It must only be used in conjuction with a stock piston. This key works great with any other modification, Hi-rev CDI's, performance camshafts, carburetor kits, etc. Just not high compression or big bore pistons. We also include a flywheel puller for your convenience.

ish416
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Accoring to Curtis Sparks' website,

"1000 RPM higher than stock, This High Rev CDI makes the 400 EX come alive. It works great with the Sparks Ingition advance key on a stock motor. The CDI also work great on wild motors too."

There is no mention of it changing the timing. All they have listed is that it allows for 1000 RPM more than the stock cdi.

Honda5

Not my quad, not my dyno run. Just one that I found online. That shows basically no difference of anything over a stock CDI besides the 800 additional rpm that the engine is able to rev to.

As for shifting and power curve. Think about this.

The dyno sheet shows 3,000 - 10,000rpm. With each block showing 500 rpm from left to right and 0 to 35 horsepower and torque on the vertically.

If you look at the dyno sheet, you will notice that the torque curve is basically flat between 4,500 and 7,000 rpm. You will also notice that while the torque curve is flat that the horsepower is on a steady incline during those rpms. Also notice that once you get past 7,500 rpm that horsepower and torque are dropping quickly. That means that this engine is done making power and you should shift. Now, assume that when you shift, you drop 2,000 rpm.

At 9,500 rpm the engine is producing 17 horsepower and 12 ft lbs of torque. So shifting and causing the drop of 2,000 rpm will put you at 7,500 rpm where the engine will be making 31 horsepower and 22 ft lbs. For a loss of 14 horsepower and 10ft lbs. That is quite a lot.

At 7,500 rpm the engine is putting out 32 horsepower and 23ft lbs. This is slightly after the engine makes peak power. If you shift that would drop you down to 5,500 rpm. At this point the engine is producing 26 horsepower and 25ft lbs. Also, consider that the engine is continuing to make power for another 2,000 rpm before it starts dropping. A shift at this rpm would be a drop of only 6 horsepower and a gain of 2ft lbs of torque.

So revving the engine to 9,500 rpm is allowing the guy who shifts at 7,500 rpm to have a 9 horsepower and 13ft lb advantage in power over the guy who goes for the rev limiter in every gear.

Honda5
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
By looking at that dyno I would never want the rpms to be under 7000 you want to be on top of the power when you shift NOT pulling up thru it's about wheel speed the rpm will accelerate faster from 7000 to 9000 faster then they will from 5000 to 7000. Think of it this way 2 equal quads are side by side and one is at 5000 rpm and the other at 7000 which hits harder and faster?

dxcody
03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Muddytrux
Seems ive started quite a debate. has anyone ever used an xr250r cdi in a 400? and no my quad isnt fully stock so anything helps regardless to the gains to me. i guess this is one thing ill have to try for my self i appreciate everyones advice at this point.

They say thats what the WB is, is a xr250 box.. ish or honda can probably tell you forsure.

CJM
03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I have heard WB had two versions of CDIs for the EX:
1. Was just an XR250 box, nothing more. Infact it even had the part numbers on it.

2. Later on they made a better one, they either took an XR or EX one and modified it to start better and such.

I got one the other day off ebay. It has a WB sticker on it and "WB" is etched into the plastic. I have so far not had any issues cranking it over, but my battery is always on a charger if not in use. Im also jetted quite good. Time will only tell if this thing is worth it, hype or what. going to ride it this weekend.

I also bought a procom CDI cause I heard they are better. gonna test that one too.

Honda5
03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
If you don't like the procom I'll buy it.

DragonGunner
03-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I have heard WB had two versions of CDIs for the EX:
1. Was just an XR250 box, nothing more. Infact it even had the part numbers on it.

2. Later on they made a better one, they either took an XR or EX one and modified it to start better and such.

I got one the other day off ebay. It has a WB sticker on it and "WB" is etched into the plastic. I have so far not had any issues cranking it over, but my battery is always on a charger if not in use. Im also jetted quite good. Time will only tell if this thing is worth it, hype or what. going to ride it this weekend.

I also bought a procom CDI cause I heard they are better. gonna test that one too.

Mine looks just like the stock cdi except WB is etched on it. In cold it is harder to start, in etreme cold it may not start. In that case I just slap the stock one on...which sucks, so sometimes after its warmed up I'll change back to the WB...depends if I was just trail riding or fast racing trails with my old Banshee an 250R friends.

JOHNDOE83
03-01-2012, 04:31 PM
OK

CDI's do work and do give better performance.

Ive tested MANY CDI's and the best CDI in my opinion and experience is the White Bro's CDI. I havent tested any programmable CDI's but Ive tested many name brand's.

Unless you are a hardcore drag racer or a hardcore MX'r you dont need a after market CDI.

If you ride like me youll understand....:blah:

CJM
03-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
Mine looks just like the stock cdi except WB is etched on it. In cold it is harder to start, in etreme cold it may not start. In that case I just slap the stock one on...which sucks, so sometimes after its warmed up I'll change back to the WB...depends if I was just trail riding or fast racing trails with my old Banshee an 250R friends.

I had no problems cranking it over and it was maybe 40F here today. Infact with the right jetting (which I think Im like 95% close) one hit of the starter button and it turned right on.

DragonGunner
03-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by CJM
I had no problems cranking it over and it was maybe 40F here today. Infact with the right jetting (which I think Im like 95% close) one hit of the starter button and it turned right on.

LOL...cold is 20 to 30 degrees....extreme cold is when we go out from 20 to -10.

Muddytrux
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
LOL...cold is 20 to 30 degrees....extreme cold is when we go out from 20 to -10.

Sounds like to me you need be on a snow mobile rather that a quad when its that cold out side ... just sayin lol

CJM
03-02-2012, 06:52 PM

It never gets that cold here usually, if it does I aint riding in that either.