PDA

View Full Version : 16" to 18" rears

Woodsrunner
02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Guys,

I'm looking for advice, Minis are new to me. I have a stock 50cc my boy will be woods racing. I want to go from 16" rears to 18" for ground clearance. I'm curious what gearing changes I should go with to keep it running the same. Is 1 more tooth on the rear enough or 1 on the front? Not sure and after reading the priors gearing post i'm more confused than ever. lol.

RCR_531
02-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Think back when you rode a 10 speed bike. That is giving that you rode a bike. 1 down in the front is like going up 2 in the rear.
The rear gear seems to be easier to come by. Maybe if you get lucky someone will have one you can try before buying.

kfx450
02-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Depends on which tire u want to run. We never had any luck with true 18 in tires on the rear of our 50. But if u are talking about 18 in snow hogs they only measure 16in tall and that is what we have won
Any races on. It will also depend on what kind of tracks you are acing on if they have deep ruts u will be in trouble. I would see what other people in your series are running because if they are making it so should u. We have also done away with the rear swing arm guard and run a Gt thunder disc style chain guard for more ground clearance

Woodsrunner
02-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Yeah, we are running snow hogs and everbody else is too. I also removed the chain and disc guard for more clearance. I just bought a set of 18" snow hogs and want to keep the power and speed about the same as the 16" snow hogs. Thats why I'm looking to see how many teeth to go up on the rear or down on the front.

kfx450
02-29-2012, 05:51 AM
We run 18 in snow hogs with stock gearing on our Drr 50 stock and with stage 6 cylinder with proper air preside will run about 35 on a flat straight away and will also come out of corners good with proper clutching

jerkyboy
02-29-2012, 06:10 AM
If your woods racing I would maybee leave the gearing alone and see, might be good. or if you feel its a little off go up one 1 tooth in the rear. With the snow hogs I think the difference is only about 3/4 of a inch in hieght.

Woodsrunner
02-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the advise. I'm new to these and bought 3 minis in the last 4 months! I have found tons of info on this site along with parts I needed. This is a great web-site. Thanks again.