PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On Deciding Between Two Different AMS Tires And Making Struts

cheater13
02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
*Edited*

Alright, i was thinking of making struts to put on my 400ex to help me not pull up off the line. Will it be better if i put blaster front shocks on and put a strut in the back compared to putting struts in the front and rear?

And would ams sandsnakes be good on packed dirt? My holeshots are wearing out and their only 30 bucks each on rockymountain. I'd figure them little paddles would give me some pretty good traction but what do you guys think? Here is some pictures up at the races so you guys can somewhat see the kind of dirt:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=473471

-Thanks everyone

CJM
02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
id do the snakes, buddy of mine has the aeros and the paddle literally chunks apart.

cheater13
02-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Alright thanks CJM. That narrows one thing down. What about the front tires? Should i get them diamondtraks or just stick to the pure sports bandits thats already on it? In the one link i posted, there's some pictures and it kinda shows the dirt and how it is where i raced. I'm not sure if my bandits will be too heavy or heavier than them diamondtraks. I want to do better this year because i did ok last year, but i coulda did better. Also, should i just stick to my stock rims and put them on or get smaller different ones?

And i just found some cheaper front tires and their maxxis. What about them?:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/50/81/165/724/-/29460/Maxxis-Razr-Blade-Front-ATV-Tire

And anyone know anything about them struts?

CJM
02-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Honestly Id stick to stock size or maybe do 18's. But doing 18s will require gear changes to get max performance.

As for the fronts, lighter the better. Friend of mine has similar front sand tires and he says he loves them-but we ride in dunes/sand pits.

cheater13
02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Alright, well i dont think i'll switch the size of the rim then because i don't want to do nothing with the gearing just for a few races.

And would them diamondtraks or them maxxis razor blades be better to put on the front? I would be riding in packed dirt though, not sand.

JOHNDOE83
02-28-2012, 02:19 PM
for the struts I used 3/4in square alluminum with 1/8 wall thickness, whatever you use for the front is good enough for the back also. I have used the 3/4 square 1/16 wall they have at home depot or lowes but it kinda sketched me out a lil bit.

you can use steel, alluminum whatever you can find basically, if I had the option I would use solid 1in square and shave it down to fit the shock mounts.

as far as size/height, I always make the front a-arms level and lower the back to level it out.

If you decide to go with steel, just keep in mind the weight of the shocks in comparison to the steel your using "just dont use steel bar that weighs more then the shocks" it kinda defeats the purpose.

You could also take off your slipon and jett accordingly and pick up some ETA and 60ft time, I also have removed the battery and used jumpercables to start my quad, it saves 9 lbs off the overall weight.

Depending on how far you want to go with drag racing, theres alot you could do to get better ETAs in your class, they put me in with modified class with the 450s and I run the same times and better then they do but I did alot of weight and jetting changes to mine.

cheater13
02-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Alright thanks John. We plan on using steel though but i don't think i am going to make a strut for the rear. Is that alright? I just plan on using struts on the front to lower it and help it from pulling up. Would it be the same as using steel compared to aluminum or would it have to be thicker?

And does lowes/home depot sell everything to do this? We had some steel laying around but that aluminum is lighter but im sure it is probably kind of expensive.

I been told just to have the struts 3-4 inches shorter than the shocks to start out and see where that puts me.

atvrider13
02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by CJM
id do the snakes, buddy of mine has the aeros and the paddle literally chunks apart. From what ive seen , dune tires usually only rip or fall apart when they are not ridden in real dunes. Or in snow.

400man
02-29-2012, 01:11 PM
just throwin this out there, if you still wanted to have a little bit of suspension up front you can run blaster or banshee front shocks. they will lower it down to where the bottom of the a-arms are almost flat like this,

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/250rrodeo003.jpg

and for the rear if you wanted to lower it down level just get one of those adjustable links

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/250rrodeo004.jpg

JOHNDOE83
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by cheater13
Alright thanks John. We plan on using steel though but i don't think i am going to make a strut for the rear. Is that alright? I just plan on using struts on the front to lower it and help it from pulling up. Would it be the same as using steel compared to aluminum or would it have to be thicker?

And does lowes/home depot sell everything to do this? We had some steel laying around but that aluminum is lighter but im sure it is probably kind of expensive.

I been told just to have the struts 3-4 inches shorter than the shocks to start out and see where that puts me.

Lowes or the depot I think had steel the same as the allum 1/16th wall, I believe it was steel 3/4in with 1/16th wall. they also sell nylon spacers that are perfect for making them fit.

You could even use 1in or 1 1/4 in pipe and flaten the ends to fit the shock mounts then drill holes.

The strut height is really up to you, 2in lower would probally not lift anymore and might be better looking if you go that route, just take your shocks off and adjust the height with a floor jack, then measure how tall your strut needs to be.

I may have a picture of my struts, ill look for it.

CJM
02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by atvrider13
From what ive seen , dune tires usually only rip or fall apart when they are not ridden in real dunes. Or in snow.

I ride in dunes, mostly soft sand and some little hard pack. The sand stars thus far I have ran had no issues, the paddles with the larger more delicate treads totally wear out in 2-5 rides.

JOHNDOE83
02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
This setup ran 5.6 in 300ft with my motor.

these are the depot front struts I used, The rear strut is thicker wall diameter 1/8 and I also have the 1/8th fronts.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/newdragex002.jpg
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/newdragex001-Copy.jpg
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/newdragex004.jpg
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/SUNP0162.jpg
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/newdragex003.jpg

jgar
02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
In the third pic what is the round thing in/on the swing arm?

atvrider13
02-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I ride in dunes, mostly soft sand and some little hard pack. The sand stars thus far I have ran had no issues, the paddles with the larger more delicate treads totally wear out in 2-5 rides. Ive made 3 week long trips to Silverlake sand dunes and my dune tires still like brand new still. I think your tires are getting wore out from running them on any hard pack. Ive seen guys try running em in the winter "snow"and they ruin them.

cheater13
03-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies. But would it matter if i kept the shocks on the back and just put struts on the front?

And them paddles on the sandsnakes are fairly small so would they tear apart in packed dirt quickly? I'm just running them tires strictly for them dirt drag races so would i have a problem? How would they hook?

atvrider13
03-01-2012, 09:06 AM
For drag racing i use struts in the front and the rear.

cheater13
03-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Would it be fine if i didn't use them in the rear though? I'm kind of on a budget here.

JOHNDOE83
03-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by jgar
In the third pic what is the round thing in/on the swing arm?

Its just a plug, I drilled it out so I could turn the carrier and use the zerk fitting to grease the carrier easier.

JOHNDOE83
03-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cheater13
Would it be fine if i didn't use them in the rear though? I'm kind of on a budget here.

yes it will be fine

Im actually using lighter shocks in the front now and only a strut for the rear.

jgar
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Its just a plug, I drilled it out so I could turn the carrier and use the zerk fitting to grease the carrier easier.
Sorry not trying to jack this thread. Johndoe can you post a close up pic of the plug. Looks like a good idea.

cheater13
03-02-2012, 02:12 PM
JOHNDOE83: What would the difference be in the quad if you only put on front struts compared to only putting a rear one on and blaster/banshee shocks up front?

And does all years of blaster and banshee front shocks work? I found some blaster ones on ebay for only 30 bucks. But would puttin struts on the front or blaster shocks keep it from pulling up? I'm trying to do something that will not make it pull up out of the holeshot.

JOHNDOE83
03-02-2012, 02:27 PM
my shocks are chinese ATV shocks, they are really nice though and work better then my stock shocks IMO, although I wouldnt use them to jump anything, they are good for anything except that.

alot of guys are using blaster and banshee shocks. the only reason why drag struts are better is they are WAY lighter and keep all the wheels on the ground all the time.

the difference between strutting the front only and strutting the back only is the ride quality, struting the front tends to be a lil stiff and bouncy when cruising at low speed.

I only put the shocks on for rideability when im testing and tuning around my neighborhood. I also use thm during test and tune at the strip, so that when people see you and see your times they say I wanna race that guy. before the races start, I take the extra 12lbs off the quad and put struts on, its good for a few tenths of ETA which is alot!

IMO you would benefit from your stock frame and mild motor with full struts that are light in weight, I think people would be like "that EX runs those times".

atleast if you use smaller shocks like the blaster or banshee, you can still hit jumps when your bored.

What times does your EX run now?

cheater13
03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
JOHNDOE83: Alright thanks, that answered my questions. But if struts keep you on the ground, i'm going to go with them front and rear. Then when i'm done drag racin, i'll just put my regular shocks back on. How much would you charge to make struts for me?

And yeah, i'm hoping they say that about my ex this year haha. The only problem i had last year was getting the holeshot and if i get it this year, i'll be great because once i'm off i can shift real good and quick.

And for my time, i have them papers laying around somewhere but can't find them. I'm pretty sure i was running mid 5's. I beat some modded banshees, other ex's, a kfx450, and a 3 wheeler to name some.

400man: Does your fourwheeler ever pull up with them blaster shocks on? I'd much rather put a strut in the back and them shocks in the front if it wouldn't pull up.