PDA

View Full Version : 2002 CRF cam assembly report

Foxhound013
02-26-2012, 10:33 AM
So recently I fried my cam, it also seized up the roller on the rocker arm. With race season in about 12 days I decided to take a chance on some reading I've done and order the entire 2002 crf cam assembly for 140 :D insted of paying over 200 dollars for just the rocker arm and a stg 2 hotcam. I just got it in today and from the looks of it it was all the same. I compared the two today and they are exactly the same minus the decompression mechanism. I don't mean the cams are the same just the cam holder and everything else there. The cam itself seems extremely close to my buddies stg 2 hotcam that he just got in. I am putting it into my 2005 450r. Not sure what other years it will fit. From the looks of it it will work on all other years minus the 08 due to its different decompression mechanism but don't quote me on that. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this will chime in. I haven't gotten my bike back together just yet but I will keep everyone posted on the results. I figured I should post this up because I had trouble finding out some of this info for sure.

Foxhound013
02-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Something else I just noticed when comparing the two is the crf has an arm the comes off the decompression mechanism and reaches down. Not sure what it's supposed to do but it doesn't hit anything on my bike so I think leaving it will be alright. Not for sure though.

DnB_racing
02-26-2012, 11:44 AM
as far as your original problem.... have you fixed the reason you "fried"the cam and bearings....

I would guess you went getting oil flow to the head, if you dont fix what ever issue caused the head to seize,you will be in the same boat or worse real soon again..

check all the passages, the pump, and gears,the pin and clip on the gear is new,and make sure the pickup isn't clogged and its seated and sealed properly

I believe the extra arm on the crf assembly is a manual decompression arm that attaches to an exterior decompression mechanism ....someone with a 02 crf might confirm this, im not sure when the bikes went to auto decompression

eastside 400
02-26-2012, 11:53 AM
That year CRF decompression mechanism should be the same exact one that is on the TRX

Foxhound013
02-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the advice DnB I'll make sure to check that stuff out. I went to drain it from the transmission and there wasn't much oil that came out. I was low on compression so maybe I was slowly burning it. I'll make sure to check everything you mentioned though. I can't afford it all to go out again lol

Foxhound013
02-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Anyone here know the valve gap for the 02 crf cam. We're putting it in tomorrow and I need to figure out what the gap should be. My guess would be close to a stg 2 hotcam. Would I want to go with what a 2002 crf cam specs or the stg 2. Not sure what either of these are if anyone can help me figure out the right clearance it'd be appreciated.

Foxhound013
02-29-2012, 03:02 PM
I think I found the answer. I did a little bit of searching and came up with .006 intake and .011 exhaust. I also found .017 for the decompression. Does this sound about right to you guys?

eastside 400
02-29-2012, 03:53 PM
valve clearance has nothing to do with the cam, use the quads specs.. .006 intake and .011 exhaust +-.001

Foxhound013
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks eastside, wasn't sure if it did or not but that answers my question. I'll get back to you guys as soon as I get it in and see what it can do.