PDA

View Full Version : long travel arm?

wild250rman
02-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Does anyone make long travel standard width a-arms that use a 17.25 length shock? Any help would be appriciated.

250Renvy
02-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Nobody makes one that is std, but there are a few people that could probably build one for you. Don't know if that's what you are looking for because it'll obviously cost more, but I may be having it done with a 17 3/4.

FL-R
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Try jd performance

deathman53
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
don't most "long travel", really long body shocks atleast 19". Some are 21" or more. Also, you have a shock that you don't know what a-arm it is correct for. There is more to shocks than just the length, rider weight, ability, how aggressive, leverage ratio and even the frame could be a huge affect. Even if you get a a-arm that could use a certain length shock, everything else could be wrong about it.

I am gonna have a shock done for my atc250r, it will have a cr250r front end(shortened), I asked a suspension guy about it, along w/ bringing him my no-link "long travel" shock to be rebuilt. He explained everything to me and also how he was gonna build a shock for the atc, after the cr250r front end is installed. There is alot more involved than most think to achieve the most from your suspension and use it all effectively.

He looked at the shock I brought him, how long it is, how much travel there really is and compared it to other shock he had there(ktm dirtbike), he noted that they all had the same amount of travel and nearly the same shaft length, but the shock body is much longer. Therefore, it holds more oil, more nitrogen charge, heats up less and can valve it more effectively to work better, that is the only advantage to "long travel", its nearly the same amount of travel as standard body shocks.

89trx250r
02-26-2012, 04:33 PM
^^^^ As deathman just posted shocks are one of the most difficult things to get set up perfect and when you do there is really nothing comparable! It feels like your on a cloud...

quadfmx
02-26-2012, 06:36 PM
jd performance will work with u and has a few different options on shock length on his mgc a arms but teixera tech is making 250r xc arms like the 450r ones