PDA

View Full Version : Z400 Exhaust question

Racerjames
02-25-2012, 03:57 PM
So I'm looking at buying this z400, it's been sitting for two years dormant because of its eating a second motor (leaned out). Seems like its a good project bike, I have no problem finding a used/rebuilt motor (*ahem* forum locals *ahem*) but I have some questions on whether I need to buy some more stuff to keep the "hot death" from re-occurring.

The story goes like this. Guy A, looking for more power from his Z, gets some motor work done from Duncan. Not sure how far he went, but the price was steep for the work, and the motor came back for crazy high octane fuel use only( heard supposedly it was for running 100ll/AV gas). He later ends up popping the motor somehow, and selling it to some guy on the east coast for ice racing. Evidently the guy was cool with paying 4k for a burnt motor, so I surmise this thing was insane when new. Having left-over parts, Guy A sells a bunch of the left overs to Guy B who had a cracked frame on his 04. This Guy B, ends up with A gusseted frame, some nice bit and pieces, as well as the Fat Boy 4 from the crazy motor. Guy B does not re-jet, ends up frying his motor, gets used motor from ebay, has a friend try to base jet to get the pipe running better, under the rules that Guy B comes back after a little ride time to check the jetting on the bike. Well, two weeks pass and Guy B comes back saying he is loosing power, seems he has popped a SECOND motor.

What I'm wondering is if maybe the original Duncan setup was designed together, ie that Fat Boy was somehow larger than the usual ones, resulting in a lean condition that jetting would never be able to solve being as the donor motors are stock? Does this make sense? Im going to pull the S/N of the pipe if I can find it & have a talk with Duncan directly to see if there is a jetting strategy that would make this pipe work, I'd hate to have to buy a new setup.
Anyways, any input is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading my mindless ramble of a post.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/racerjames666/2011-12-26130145.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/racerjames666/2011-12-26130035.jpg

beastlywarrior
02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
I have a strong feeling something was wrong with that second motor. Id buy it and still use that exhaust. Id tear the motor down to and see what it needs, it might be something as simple as valves