PDA

View Full Version : `05 ex mild rebuild ?

jfwyatt1
02-25-2012, 08:50 AM
im going over my 13 year old sons 400 and the valve seals are shot and rings are a bit worn should i just rering or should i replace the piston also just to be safe im not wanting to up the power much just get it back runnin good as its been smoking a bit the cylinder looks great but there is a little scuffing on the piston i found a pro-x rebuild kit with moose racing gaskets and valve seals for $112.00 . Ive used pro-x stuff before and have been pleased but never used the moose gaskets are they ok for a stock rebuild?

hondamikey7o2
02-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Ill be honest I dont know a lot about quad motors but I do know a lot about hondas car motors and have built plenty of 1.8l and 1.6l motors that would eat v8s alive and from what I know its never a good idea to do half a rebuild! If you plan on doing one part of the top end I would say do the whole top end!

jkosakowski
02-25-2012, 09:10 AM
I would get a wiseco piston kit and some new valves.. If the seals were bad they might not seat right afterwards so id just get new valves the piston kit and even a new cam chain.

jfwyatt1
02-25-2012, 10:14 AM
wiseco dosent offer a stock compression piston and i dont want to up the compression just freshen up the top end. im not replacing the valves cause there ingood shape ill lap them and put em back together. anyone ever use the moose gaskets?

beastlywarrior
02-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by hondamikey7o2
Ill be honest I dont know a lot about quad motors but I do know a lot about hondas car motors and have built plenty of 1.8l and 1.6l motors that would eat v8s alive and from what I know its never a good idea to do half a rebuild! If you plan on doing one part of the top end I would say do the whole top end!
Oh my i have a feeling you wont be around here long

Prox and namura would be just fine for you, there more of a stock replacement not performance