PDA

View Full Version : Well I'm gunna need some stuff....

speedy400
03-03-2003, 01:38 AM
Well I plan on racing in about a year,(when I turn 16) what do i need to take the jumps for my quad? I thought I'd get a durablue axle, some cheapo works shocks, a-arms, rear shock rebuilt, and if I have any $ left over, a gusset kit. Do I really need this to race or am I over my head?thanks-darren:D

ridered03
03-03-2003, 03:37 AM
well i would just go out and race a couple of races, then think if you need a lot of suspension and handeling work, or if you need more speed and power!!

FourFiftyFour
03-03-2003, 04:38 AM
a-arms, shocks, tires, axle, etc.. the basic handling/suspension mods are great to have b/c if u r like most ppl on here who race... you will be addicted the first time u get out on the track. But handling and suspension are a must before power... you can have the most powerful quad out on the track but if it doesnt handle (IE the stock Raptor) you wont get anywhere on a track.. but off of it.... lol so that stuff sounds good, make sure u have nerf bars and a tether kill switch also... most places wont allow u to race without them

speedy400
03-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 250xChick
a-arms, shocks, tires, axle, etc.. the basic handling/suspension mods are great to have b/c if u r like most ppl on here who race... you will be addicted the first time u get out on the track. But handling and suspension are a must before power... you can have the most powerful quad out on the track but if it doesnt handle (IE the stock Raptor) you wont get anywhere on a track.. but off of it.... lol so that stuff sounds good, make sure u have nerf bars and a tether kill switch also... most places wont allow u to race without them
what do you meen by "most places wont allow u to race without them "? and I alreddy have nerfs and I plan on getting a new set of tires and front rims this summer(I alreddy have aftermarket rear rims) thanks a lot-darren

Moto92
03-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
what do you meen by "most places wont allow u to race without them "? and I alreddy have nerfs and I plan on getting a new set of tires and front rims this summer(I alreddy have aftermarket rear rims) thanks a lot-darren

A tether kill switch is REQUIRED before you can ever think about racing, never heard of nerfs being a requirement though.
Dont forget about any neccesary gear too, like boots which are far from cheap. Welcome to an expensive hobby :p

QuadTrix6
03-03-2003, 06:41 PM
i noticed you said a cheapo pair of shocks, thats one mod that you do not want to short change yourself, works shocks are good but don't get the bottom of the line works, ya know what i mean, if i were you i would do all suspension mods first (after kill switch and nerfs) it will make you a much faster rider without even touching the engine,,,,engine should be last IMO :macho ...go get em :cool:

speedy400
03-03-2003, 08:15 PM
well if I get a nice pair of shocks wont that soak up the hard landings so I wouldnt need new a-arms and maybe not even a axle?and also are boots necessary? maybe I could mooch the safty gear $ out of my parents for thoughs:rolleyes:

Nausty
03-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Well I plan on racing in about a year,(when I turn 16) what do i need to take the jumps for my quad? I thought I'd get a durablue axle, some cheapo works shocks, a-arms, rear shock rebuilt, and if I have any $ left over, a gusset kit. Do I really need this to race or am I over my head?thanks-darren:D

just get a full set of nice shocks, the rear rebuild is crap imo and not worth the money. Performance wise and the amt of money not to mention reliability reasons, I blew 2 seals and i think I bent my shaft from jumping it to hard. I'm racing b class this year and is all I really got is shocks, exhaust and tires so you should be fine. Also you were saying get some cheapo shocks which I think is a bad idea, you wouldn't beleive the differance of high performance shocks. I mean works are great but its one of things that I think you would be better off doing it right the first time and making it the last.

flyin#5
03-03-2003, 09:35 PM
well if I get a nice pair of shocks wont that soak up the hard landings so I wouldnt need new a-arms and maybe not even a axle?and also are boots necessary? maybe I could mooch the safty gear $ out of my parents for thoughs:rolleyes:

imo even b4 you mod out your quad get some boots and some riding gear... otherwise youll end up getting hurt and having to spend money on fixing yourself rather than you quad... i cant count on all of my fingers and toes how many times my boots have saved my ankles and legs:D

Paul400ex2002
03-03-2003, 11:10 PM
if you want some works pro series piggyback shocks, i've got some for sale, let me know if you're interested.

AtvMxRider
03-03-2003, 11:17 PM
At most tracks boots are mandatory. Why would you want to risk the chance of hurting youself anyway.

speedy400
03-04-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by flyin#5
imo even b4 you mod out your quad get some boots and some riding gear... otherwise youll end up getting hurt and having to spend money on fixing yourself rather than you quad... i cant count on all of my fingers and toes how many times my boots have saved my ankles and legs:D
I have everything exept boots:rolleyes:

Moto92
03-04-2003, 03:01 AM
a pair of Thor boots will cost you about $100, but they may only last you a year or two. Alpinestars will cost you about $300 and up but they will last five or more years so its all about what you want to spend.

stocktires
03-04-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by fearthisracer
a pair of Thor boots will cost you about $100, but they may only last you a year or two. Alpinestars will cost you about $300 and up but they will last five or more years so its all about what you want to spend.

but if your foot is still growing (like mine) Id judt get the fox trakkers, they're decent and cheap! Your gonna grow outa em in a year anyway (especially if your 15)

P.S. dont go cheap on the chassis and suspension nor gear

MxDale71
03-04-2003, 07:09 PM
The absolute most improtant thing for racing is a good helmet (Snell and DOT approved), boots, knee/shin gaurds, goggles, and gloves. The helmet is obviously the most improtant out of those. Boots have saved my ankles lots of times, as did the knee/shin gaurds. You will also have a really hard time w/o goggles and gloves. There is absolutely not reason to go cheap when it comes to your safety. Don't mod the quad before you buy the right safety equipment. Just think about how much you'll get to enjoy those mods that you buy when you're sitting on your couch with a broken leg.

After you have the right gear, start buying safety equipment for your quad. Nerfs (which are required at all tracks in my area), kill switch (also required), and this may sound crazy, but I would also go w/ some aluminum handle bars. The Renthal, Pro Taper, ect, will flex and move back the way they were while steel will either not move at all or just bend which could hurt your wrists a lot more on a rough landing.

You may wonder what the point of a-arms are if you have good shocks, but for MX, you'll want some good +2-3 a-arms for extra stability. I would also go with a Lonestar axle because the Durablue's aren't near as strong as LSR or RPM. 18" rear tires and either 19 or 20 inch front tires would be good too.

I'm not saying you have to bust out all that money for that stuff right away, but thats just the order I would go with. There's no point in building up the motor, if your suspension can't handle it.

But I would say that the safety stuff is a definite requirement before you even think about riding on a track. I got all the safety stuff before I ever raced, but I'm working on building up my suspension mods now and I'm racing too. I still have a lot to do. I'm gonna rebuild my front shocks, buy some a-arms, a wider rear axle, and new front tires.

speedy400
03-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by MxDale71
The absolute most improtant thing for racing is a good helmet (Snell and DOT approved), boots, knee/shin gaurds, goggles, and gloves. The helmet is obviously the most improtant out of those. Boots have saved my ankles lots of times, as did the knee/shin gaurds. You will also have a really hard time w/o goggles and gloves. There is absolutely not reason to go cheap when it comes to your safety. Don't mod the quad before you buy the right safety equipment. Just think about how much you'll get to enjoy those mods that you buy when you're sitting on your couch with a broken leg.

After you have the right gear, start buying safety equipment for your quad. Nerfs (which are required at all tracks in my area), kill switch (also required), and this may sound crazy, but I would also go w/ some aluminum handle bars. The Renthal, Pro Taper, ect, will flex and move back the way they were while steel will either not move at all or just bend which could hurt your wrists a lot more on a rough landing.

You may wonder what the point of a-arms are if you have good shocks, but for MX, you'll want some good +2-3 a-arms for extra stability. I would also go with a Lonestar axle because the Durablue's aren't near as strong as LSR or RPM. 18" rear tires and either 19 or 20 inch front tires would be good too.

I'm not saying you have to bust out all that money for that stuff right away, but thats just the order I would go with. There's no point in building up the motor, if your suspension can't handle it.

But I would say that the safety stuff is a definite requirement before you even think about riding on a track. I got all the safety stuff before I ever raced, but I'm working on building up my suspension mods now and I'm racing too. I still have a lot to do. I'm gonna rebuild my front shocks, buy some a-arms, a wider rear axle, and new front tires.
wow thanks for the help guys, I'll make sure to get all the safty gear and stuff, also do you need chin guards if ou have boots?:confused: :rolleyes: