PDA

View Full Version : Honda 400ex Holeshot/Starting Device?

cheater13
02-24-2012, 08:21 AM
I heard some companies make these things called holeshot or starting devices for dirtbikes/fourwheelers. I saw them for 450 quads but no 400ex's.

http://www.slyfoxmx.com/pd-quadshot-atv-holeshot-device.cfm

^Theres the one for the fourwheelers.

I would like to invest in them for drag racing because my only problem was pulling up, and if i don't pull up anymore, I think I'll probably do 50% better.

What do you guys think of them? And do they make one for the 400ex?

madmaxmodquad
02-24-2012, 09:30 AM
if they fit the 450 most likly they will fit the 400 sounds like a cool idea but could cause problems during suspension movement

ish416
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Until you start seeing these on factory/pro race quads, I would say they are a waste of money.

blaster12s
02-24-2012, 09:43 AM
i have ran them. they dont do ****.

cheater13
02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
I heard about them and i heard of some people using them when they drag race and it helps.

Anymore opinions? I really need something to keep the front down because im not too good at holeshots.

ish416
02-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Anymore opinions? I really need something to keep the front down because im not too good at holeshots.

Practice. I usually get the holeshot by taking off in 2nd gear.

JOHNDOE83
02-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Drag racing buddies? or actually drag racing?

If your just drag racing buddies then I would suggest slipping the clutch slightly instead of popping the clutch.

If your actually drag racing, lower the front end by using struts or buy a lowering kit, I actually have a dura blue lowering kit ill sell you dirt cheap if you wanna go that route, just dont do any hardcore jumping with the kit on.

All I do is drag racing :cool:

cheater13
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Nah, it's actually drag racing. 300ft though so i need to get the holeshot, but i always have a problem with it. And i do start in second gear. I practice on ground and dirt and i do great with holeshots. It must be the type of dirt we race on which causes us to get good grip, causing me to pull up.

And i would get a lowering kit or something like that but ill only be using it around 2 times a year or so.

dustin_j
02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Your starts and drags would benefit from a better suspension setup. The GT Thunder linkage helps a lot on starts as well as throughout the track. The high progression ratio of the stock link does not allow enough weight transfer prior to wheelying. With the GTT link, you will transfer more weight to the rear wheels and are not as likely to wheelie on starts.

JOHNDOE83
02-24-2012, 08:21 PM
well weight and drag racing make big differences in time on 300ft.

If you use struts, they can be made cheap and are easily takin on and off when you need to, replacing the shocks with struts is the best thing for drag racing and saves almost 30lbs off the weight of the EX.

if you lower and strut the front end it will never pull up ever again.

400exBRAAP
02-24-2012, 08:38 PM
wratched strap your front end down. have one of yer bigger buddies stand on your bumper and pull them things TIGHT!! that will make a helluva difference in the front end comin up. ORRR you could find some scrap steel pieces, cut them however short you need, and drill holes and make custom lowering struts. i did that and it worked like a champ. front end didnt come up at all so nothing was jarred your banged or hurt except the competitions ego

cheater13
02-27-2012, 10:17 AM
dustin_j: How much does one of those linkages cost? I plan on putting a little bit of money into the 400 in the summer so i was going to invest in something to benefit me when i drag race.

JOHNDOE83: I only weigh 130lbs so maybe thats why it pulls up. I might consider "strutting" it but if i find a lowering kit for cheap around summer time, i might get it.

400exBRAAP: I was going to do that strap thing but i heard it messes something up with the compression of your shocks or something? Thats why i didn't do it last year.. And is it hard to make struts? How thick should the steel piece be? I wouldn't want to be going down the track and something busting on the front or anything though.

dustin_j
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Cheater, pm sent.

cheater13
02-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Pmed back. What do you other guys think?

JOHNDOE83
02-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by cheater13

JOHNDOE83: I only weigh 130lbs so maybe thats why it pulls up. I might consider "strutting" it but if i find a lowering kit for cheap around summer time, i might get it.

So what I only weigh 145, 155 on a good day....lol.

cheater13
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
^^Hahaha. When i get weighed and it's more than it is supposed to be, i tell them to give me 10 minutes and i'll be right back. :macho

russellsroost31
02-28-2012, 09:04 AM
are you droping your clutch cause thats a huge factor that plays in the hole shot to you have to slip the clutch if you was a good start

cheater13
02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
I do try to slip the clutch, i just dont pop it like some of the other people. It still pulls up a bit though, but not like a wheelie. It's enough though to make my time be higher than what it should be.