PDA

View Full Version : I bought another one..

dxcody
02-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Dirty in the Pics but i bought this one now... lol I didnt stay away very long :)

2002 440 kit, UNI filter, Pro Circut T4 exhaust, jetted, Maier Silver PLatics, some stupid looking graphics kit, Lonestar Swinger, Lonestar bearing carrier, 11:1 piston, stage 2 cam.. Blah Blah Blah... Oh and it has a 2007 Bottom end so it has reverse. :) :) ;)

CJM
02-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Hope the motors better than the last few lol.

Glad your back. you could stay way, could you?

dxcody
02-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Hope the motors better than the last few lol.

Glad your back. you could stay way, could you?

haha keeping my hands out of this one!

Gotta admit tho, half of my problems werent my fault, it was just doomed from the get-go..

Lots of cosmetics and small stuff to do.. As you can tell it needs heel guards, and those nerf's clearly arent for a 400ex..

Got a PRM Summit front bumper that is going on her, and she needs cleaned up ALOT but other than that hopefully she will be good to go.

Throw on a Spal Fan, Maybe bigger oil tank.

CJM
02-23-2012, 09:36 PM
hope the studs are done.

Sometimes your just doomed from the get go, my buddys 400 was that way and we have spent an inordinate amount of time fixing it. Now its pretty dang good.

dxcody
02-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
hope the studs are done.

Sometimes your just doomed from the get go, my buddys 400 was that way and we have spent an inordinate amount of time fixing it. Now its pretty dang good.

I completely agree..

It really sucks when you get a bad egg. BUT supposably this thing was built by Risslers Extreme ATV which is who DOnnie Ockerman used to ride for, his shop is about 30 mins from my house so i may run it up there one day and ask if he remembers seeing this quad. If Rissler did build the engine, he would put the HD head studs in it, i am sure. He is a great engine builder.

Im just glad that im not in the hole anymore. I went from buying that first 400ex i had which was a badass 416, then i got greety and wanted a 450 so i traded for that Junk YFZ that was truely the dumbest thing i ever did... And it has been all down hill from there.

Now i am at least back buying and trading RUNNING quads.

Planning on keeping this one a while, until i turn 18 and buy a 450R anyways.

I pretty much know how to do everything with these 400's now so i will probably be much better off with one thats running when i buy it lol

CJM
02-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Hope so for your sake lol.

Im too the point with my 400 where I wont ever see the money I put into it so Im just gonna keep it till whenever. Still want a 450r but that can wait for awhile. So long as the machine runs well is my take on things.

dxcody
02-23-2012, 10:11 PM
my problem is, i am cosmetic crazy.

And i used to be wayyy worse than i am now, because i used to buy a quad that didnt run, but looked good. And now i see that a good looking quad does nothing if no one can see it in action.

I would much rather have to spend money on cosmetics than a motor.... Feel like i have heard that from someone before... maybe even on here?? :):):)

CJM
02-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Go before show my friend. I could care less if it looks bad really. I take some pride in it, but it doesnt have to be perfect.

If you were to see close ups of mine you would realize that I repaired the plastics a bit since the last set of tabs that hold the back panels on were broke and its ok but not perfect. Melting plastic works on sometimes and sometimes not. You would also notice some other minor flaws. I did go nuts polishing various metals with my grinder and a wire wheel but whatever i couldnt get to I left alone.

Anyways so what other future plans for the quad?

dxcody
02-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Oh... KFC racing graphics, (done by spider graphix of course! :) they are the same people that make all of Nicks Stickers and Jet suspension)

Basically just turn it into an XC race quad. Im gonna show all the people that give me sh*t for not racing that i can ride this year.

Im pumped! I will probably only race a few races.. That racing crap get expensive..

EDIT: congrats on your 7600th post! lol

CJM
02-23-2012, 10:32 PM
lol 7601 now. I have too much time on my hands.

Anyways that sounds like a good plan. Spend the money on suspension if I were you, I wanted too when I did my rebuild but I got other bills atm.

01boneless
02-23-2012, 11:26 PM
nice man hope its better than the last one!

dxcody
02-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Thanks! Havent broke the news to anyone besides you guys and Born Confused.

Mike, Matt, parents... no one knows yet.. lol

Dad will be happy. He's the most die hard Honda fan i have ever met!

cheater13
02-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Can't go wrong with a honda quad!

dxcody
02-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by cheater13
Can't go wrong with a honda quad!

ohhhhh believe me... I can.

DragonGunner
02-24-2012, 07:54 AM
dx....are you going to race that March 4th at the Badlands? I just got married yesterday...chain an ball....lol....not really...but think I'll just run some of the Reads Racing Grand Prix's this year, maybe a Harescramble later on in Plymouth. If you race, good luck...I hope to rride the Badlands a few time this spring an summer though for fun.

dxcody
02-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Gonna try!

I am ready for badlands... One of my favorite places to ride!

Congrats on gettin married!

Ill see what she can do!

chronicsmoke
02-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Haha Did you trade the Z?

The 440 looks good :)

dxcody
02-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Haha Did you trade the Z?

The 440 looks good :)

:( yea.. I dont even know why! My buddy just texted me and told me this guy was wanting to trade for a z, and i just started talking to him and we ended up trading.

This is the same guy that Wanted the Z + $1500 for the 05 450R.

Mostly because i have had everything except a 440... 416, 426...400.... just hadnt owned a 440. Life will be complete now! lol Oh and i have owned a Z400..

And if you wanna get technical, a 300ex, and a yfz450.

chronicsmoke
02-24-2012, 09:22 AM
you change quads like some people change their underpants lol

Get some pics up after you give it the 'once over'

dxcody
02-24-2012, 11:06 AM
you change quads like some people change their underpants lol

Get some pics up after you give it the 'once over'

Well im done now! Until i buy a 450R :)

I just gave her my first ever ride... Its pretty fast!

Il deff be posting some pics!

chronicsmoke
02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Do you notice a significant difference compared to your other EX engine setups?

dxcody
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Do you notice a significant difference compared to your other EX engine setups?

Actually yea..

I didnt really think so at first, but after riding it a little i think the 426 was more snappy, but not quite as smooth as this one.

This one isnt wanting to pull the front end up constently like the other one, but you can tell this one has a little more power.. Maybe its built better.. My mechanics not the best :) BUT im learning.. Learning is VERY expensive lol.

HondaRacing83
02-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Nice bike Cody! Get some 450 shocks on there, get the tusk nerfs with heel guards and fat pegs very nice especially for the price. Yeah I'd strip those graphics off -_-

powerbomb400
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Looks good. I've rode with alot of different quads and you can't do wrong with a Honda. The 450r has alot of power but the other day I was reading someone's post about the 450r and having to change the oil after 2 running hours. Last Sat. we rode 6 running hours and 67.5 miles. If I was riding the 450 I would have to change the oil on the trail twice. That one thing about the 400ex I love. The reliability to is unbeatable. At one point we was more than 25 miles from where we started and I wasn't a bit worried about breakdown with the Honda.

quadmanw
02-24-2012, 02:42 PM
every two riding hours?! holy crap.. I could never own one lol. like you said we ride for 6 hours all the time

Pipeless416
02-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
Looks good. I've rode with alot of different quads and you can't do wrong with a Honda. The 450r has alot of power but the other day I was reading someone's post about the 450r and having to change the oil after 2 running hours. Last Sat. we rode 6 running hours and 67.5 miles. If I was riding the 450 I would have to change the oil on the trail twice. That one thing about the 400ex I love. The reliability to is unbeatable. At one point we was more than 25 miles from where we started and I wasn't a bit worried about breakdown with the Honda.

they're doing absolutely nothing except wasting good oil.. :huh. oil should last even longer in 450Rs since they have separate systems, so it does not get the abuse from the clutch.

dxcody
02-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
they're doing absolutely nothing except wasting good oil.. :huh. oil should last even longer in 450Rs since they have separate systems, so it does not get the abuse from the clutch.

Yea thats crazy.. You dont have to change them every 2 hours.

This is beside the point but, i actually saw a 2005 450r kicker run for about 1 hr 45 mins without a drain plug. (not me)

When my buddy has his 04 kicker, he only changed the oil once every 2 races. A race is 2 hours long.

And i thought he changed it ALOT. Much more than needed.

For the most part 450R's are low maintainence also.

powerbomb400
02-24-2012, 07:23 PM
I believe that Honda recommends ever 8 running hours on the crank side. Your don't have to as much on the tranny side.

HondaRacing83
03-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Cody pics now!

beastlywarrior
03-10-2012, 11:29 AM
or are you back to a z400 again

HondaRacing83
03-10-2012, 11:53 AM
just noticed that. wtf lol

dxcody
03-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Its a very very long story fellas.

Yes, back on the z400.

I guess we are gonna see what this z400 has to say at some races this year.

beastlywarrior
03-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Did you have to trade back

dxcody
03-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
Did you have to trade back

Yea we swapped back out. THere was a few things wrong with my Z that he didnt like.. To be 100% honest, i didnt even know some of the things that were wrong with it, and he called me (he was a real nice guy) and asked if i could trade him back.

I didnt really care, as long as i have SOMETHING to ride, so i told him that i would.

And the feeling was kindof mutual, i wasnt very happy with a few things on the 440 so it all worked out in the end.

HondaRacing83
03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Your gonna have a lot of money making that Z XC ready :O lol but the Z is still a nice quad. You should do the newer plastic conversion.

dxcody
03-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Your gonna have a lot of money making that Z XC ready :O lol but the Z is still a nice quad. You should do the newer plastic conversion.

Well not really.

Im not really doing much to the z. Its just something to ride and race until i can buy my 450R.

Im just gonna run it mostly stock this year.

Im gonna buy the $175 dual rate kit for the front and install it myself. Im used to the height of it now so i will probably just leave it alone. I have actually been doing alot of testing with my own shocks lately. THe only thing is i dont have any woods around my house to test the stuff on, i just have a flat track and thats about it.

Did about 4 hours of riding today. We rode in the river bottoms so i kindof got a taste of everything.. Sand... Hills, woods, sand trails, etc.. Im sure starting to learn what DOESNT work lol..

Nobody wrecked so im happy!